Kiox Hacks, tips and tricks

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I thought it might be good to have a general Kiox tips and tricks thread where people can add some info on for example customizing screens, making it easier to work with etc.

I'll start the ball rolling with a tip I got from here.
I like to be able to remove my Kiox for added security when I park my bike.
I also like the Kiox next to the habdlebar, however a few times in minor crashes etc I have knocked it off. Once whilst jumping up onto a bridne, and nearly lost it into a stream.

So I bought these Paracord Lanyards with a clip on the end.
I sacrificed one for clipping my Kiox onto the bike. A second one I now have my keys on, and can clip my kiox onto it to keep it safe when I have removed it from my bike.

1612455962896.png

Last edited:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Next tip is connection problems between the Kiox and phone. (Not 100% solved this one)
1. Make sure your eBike Connect app is started on your phone.
It took me a little bit to learn that this has to be running for the connection to work.
2. If the connection between phone and Kiox isn't made, turn off bluetooth and then on again.
3. Check if the connection is working by going to the battery level screen on your Kiox. If it is connected correctly you should see the battery level of both your bike and your phone.
4. If the connection still isn't made I have had to reboot my phone before it worked. (Samsung S10+)
5. If you want the mapping to work of course GPS has to be turned on.

dr4ews

Sep 23, 2020
Barcelona (Spain)
Plenty of screen protectors on Amazon, I got these ones but the come in matt also

Screen Protector

That is not a hack, a hack is buy cheap mobile screen protectors like this

I bought the ones from the mate pro 20, cost 2.32 € and cutting it with scissors to the size of the kiox you have a few protectors for for kiox at half of the price

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I use a mount from www.ebikeprints.com it sticks to frame it’s 3D printed originally made for cube but works on my Whyte E180s and it’s only £15 works great so I can keep my garmin on the stem
Huh! I came to this subforum just to ask about this very kind of thing and here's a relevant post. I've been struggling with this whole Kiox holder business. Unfortunately, ebikeprints doesn't ship to the US. :confused: Two days before that a very old backorder for a Cube Acid Kiox holder was canceled by Bike24, so there's two strikes so far. :cautious: There is another vendor on eBay with a more or less similar design to the ebikeprints design and not charging crazy shipping or refusing to ship to the US so maybe there's hope yet.

I have a couple of questions about this:

1. Have you had any quirks or issues with this style of mount?
2. How tall does the top of the Kiox sit above the frame?

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Next tip is connection problems between the Kiox and phone. (Not 100% solved this one)

I know this is an old post but I thought it was worth pointing out ... I think most (all?) phones can only have two live Bluetooth connections at any one time. If your phone is connected to a cyclecomputer and anything else at all, it may not talk to the Kiox.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I know this is an old post but I thought it was worth pointing out ... I think most (all?) phones can only have two live Bluetooth connections at any one time. If your phone is connected to a cyclecomputer and anything else at all, it may not talk to the Kiox.
Maybe that's my problem. though it wasn't on Sunday.
I have a Garmin Fenix watch with the bluetooth connection, plus the connection to the Kiox, and sometimes also Bluetooth headphones.

bujinkan

Apr 4, 2021
greece
Maybe that's my problem. though it wasn't on Sunday.
I have a Garmin Fenix watch with the bluetooth connection, plus the connection to the Kiox, and sometimes also Bluetooth headphones.
No problem with me too . Garmin Fenix ebike connect and true wireless earphones at the same time

Last edited:

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Were you guys sure that all three had live connections to the phone at the same time? For the headphones it’s obvious for sure, but with smart watches and cyclecomputers it may be more subtle.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
No idea. I am constantly having problems with the Kiox connection, so this could be the reason.
The watch connection is difficult to see, as I am normally tracking my bike ride, so you don't see the other functions like messages,weather etc.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Had issues with connection frequently . Recently my kiox was replaced under warranty (other problem). Tried several times to connect this new one with no success so far :mad: . The APP identifies the Kiox number but nothing more happens. I´m pi$$$d . (my phone is Huawei)
Bosch needs to work in this area. User experience and interaction with the system.

bujinkan

Apr 4, 2021
greece
Had issues with connection frequently . Recently my kiox was replaced under warranty (other problem). Tried several times to connect this new one with no success so far :mad: . The APP identifies the Kiox number but nothing more happens. I´m pi$$$d . (my phone is Huawei)
Bosch needs to work in this area. User experience and interaction with the system.
Have you tried another phone ? My guess is that it's a Huawei thing and not Bosch ...Huawei are known for their compatibility issues

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Had the connection problem again yesterday and I didn't have my headphones with me. So the phone was only connected to my watch.

If you make a pause and turn the bike off. Or just pause so long that it turns off by itself, then when you turn on again. It doesn't automatically re-connect. Or at least it half connects, as it shows a box tor the phone connection, but you see it isn't communicating correctly, as the phone battery level isn't displayed.
Phone is active as I have Komoot running on it.

bujinkan

Apr 4, 2021
greece
Can't find a setting in kiox that prevents the auto shut down after some minutes that the bike doesn't move .that sucka cause it divides your rides in pieces

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Can't find a setting in kiox that prevents the auto shut down after some minutes that the bike doesn't move .that sucka cause it divides your rides in pieces
Wouldn't it be nice if you could combine the segments in the app

Last edited:

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
I was looking for a cable to charge my phone (Samsung S8, mounted with a quadlock system), from my kiosk.
I found the good cable (micro USB A to USB C) at ebike24.fr
It can charge my phone while riding, with my phone screen being on and the 4G data working.

I don't really see the point of the kiosk navigation feature, with it's little screen. And i need my phone for emergency calls anyway...

Alejandro

Dec 13, 2020
Spain
Huh! I came to this subforum just to ask about this very kind of thing and here's a relevant post. I've been struggling with this whole Kiox holder business. Unfortunately, ebikeprints doesn't ship to the US. :confused: Two days before that a very old backorder for a Cube Acid Kiox holder was canceled by Bike24, so there's two strikes so far. :cautious: There is another vendor on eBay with a more or less similar design to the ebikeprints design and not charging crazy shipping or refusing to ship to the US so maybe there's hope yet.

I have a couple of questions about this:

1. Have you had any quirks or issues with this style of mount?
2. How tall does the top of the Kiox sit above the frame?
These are the brackets for Bosch kiox and Nyon!
soportes%202.jpg

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Ok, another tip that I just learnt from experience.
If your KIOX stops working and therefore you can no longer turn your bike on, try charging it by plugging in a USB Micro B cable to load it.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Coming from Purion I was excited to get the Kiosk. So far only disappointed. I knocked it off at least 4 times. Once I lost it crossing a stream. Luckily I found it in the shallow water. On my Rail i find it placed too far off my line of sight on the top tube. I’m missing the simplicity of the Purion

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Coming from Purion I was excited to get the Kiosk. So far only disappointed. I knocked it off at least 4 times. Once I lost it crossing a stream. Luckily I found it in the shallow water. On my Rail i find it placed too far off my line of sight on the top tube. I’m missing the simplicity of the Purion
Yeah, get a cheap lanyard from ebay and attach it to the kiox and loop it round the stem so you can't lose it.

The only thing that the kiox is worth getting for is the actual battery level in percent rather than 5 bars.

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
My Kiox reboots most times when i connect it to my wahoo tickr heart rate monitor, if it decides to connect at all..
Thinking of just not using my kiox for any bluetooth stuff anymore, its just so unrealiable.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I just got my bike updated to the latest firmware 1.1.5.0. I guess the Kiox and battery were also updated.
I definitely notice an improvement in the Kiox telephone connection.
Also the Ascent and Descent values are now displayed in the statistics in the Bosch App. on your phone.
Lastly the Kiox display has changed a bit.
1628160177252.png

Performance is if you are currently above or below your average speed.

Hcd

Aug 8, 2021
Australia
I was looking for a cable to charge my phone (Samsung S8, mounted with a quadlock system), from my kiosk.
I found the good cable (micro USB A to USB C) at ebike24.fr
It can charge my phone while riding, with my phone screen being on and the 4G data working.

I don't really see the point of the kiosk navigation feature, with it's little screen. And i need my phone for emergency calls anyway...
I’ve also done this to charge my Exposure Maxx light as I ride. I’ve got a short cable that provides a USB-A socket. I can plug any USB cable into it with a good old fashion standard USB plug. Before someone asks, I’ll have to check if it charges while on, but does charge while off.

GizmoSL

Dec 15, 2020
San Antonio Texas
Lots of things covered re: Kiox and its issues, so if my reply duplicates some of the things addressed sorry, but aside from the fact that my Mondraker used a handlebar mount from Acid that extended the Kiox out in front of the handlebars just begging to be knocked off, and I obliged with a spontaneous dismount that snapped the mount and flung the Kiox about 5 feet from the crash site. Contacting Bosch resulted in obtaining a mount that attaches to the head tube, protecting the Kiox much better. However, another problem I'm having is that the display seems to delaminating under the glass, (think lots of spots on the display) so far, the display is readable but is a failure looming? Anyone else experiencing this?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles