Kiox 300 cant pair HR monitor?

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
I've just got a new Mondi fitted with the Bosch smart system using a Kiox 300 display. It would appear that the 300 has less features than the previous Kiox from reading various posts here & Bosch support as there appears to be no option to pair any HR monitors to it as theres no setup up option for bluetooth listed in the bosch kiox 300 manual or on the display itself . I understand the older Kiox was limited to what would pair but this seems a retrograde step for what is being touted as a "Sports rider" display? Or have I missed some hidden trick to get the invisible pairing /bluetooth settings enabled. Note the only thing that will Bluetooth Pair is the bosch flow phone app (done successfully) but even that doesn't offer any further insight in HR monitor pairing.

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
After trawling Bosch support a bit further and testing a few connections requests from Mondi bike app, Garmin Edge530 and Fenix watch I found the only pairing the Kiox 300/bosch Smart system appears to support is bluetooth to the Flow app. Even the current Mondraker bike app (Iphone ver) cant seem to connect to the bosch system. A quick warning note if you try to pair the Bike to any other device it will disconnect the last paired device (probably the Flow app) so make sure you disable the E-Bike motor lock before breaking the pair as it might balls up you being able to enable it again (hopefully not but better safe than sorry).
PS to start a bluetooth pairing on the Kiox 300 you need to turn it on with the remote on button then press/hold the on button for 3 seconds until the top led flashes blue, then pair with the flow app .. Only :/
Not sure If I should be disappointed with the closed shop approach Bosch have taken as I should have realised given they have done the same thing on their Motorbike Dash/connected systems so only approved methods apps can connect, not following the more open approach used in Andriod/apple carplay stuff or the pushbike/fitness market of garmin/similar sports devices market . All seems a bit short sighted if you ask me.
As an aside I have raised a support case with Bosch asking how/when they will permit HR monitor connections given the claim the Kiox is for sporty riders .

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
The other way also doesn't work.
I need the cadence and speed signal from the Bosch motor, made available as ANT+ signal for the Garmin 830.

Totally hopeless.

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
I've received a response from Bosch support re the support for HR connectivity. What they have said is currently the Kiox 300/Smart system only supports Apple Watch HR connectivity , though no idea how that works as its not currently shown in online docs/vids Bosch have released & I dont have an apple watch to test with. They also said they plan on expanding support for other HR monitor connectivity, though unclear if that will be as limited as previous Bosch systems and not clear if it will be ANT+ or bluetooth based .

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
I've received a response from Bosch support re the support for HR connectivity. What they have said is currently the Kiox 300/Smart system only supports Apple Watch HR connectivity , though no idea how that works as its not currently shown in online docs/vids Bosch have released & I dont have an apple watch to test with. They also said they plan on expanding support for other HR monitor connectivity, though unclear if that will be as limited as previous Bosch systems and not clear if it will be ANT+ or bluetooth based .

Ive got an apple watch so I will be able to test when my 9.8 arrives next week

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I understand the Bosch approach on this.Blutooth and Ant or ANT+ are merely wireless communications links but if you enable universal connectivty to any device capable of using that technology you effectively open your system to all manner of potential bugs. With the Bosch Smart system, KIOX 300 is merely a screen. The blu tooth capability is in the LED Remote and that is a significant controller on the Smart System CAN. ANT/ANT+ typically operates between standalone devices.......not a computer network ( the Bosch Smart System) and any other device.
Bosch will ultimately enable HR monitoring but probably only for specific authorised devices so as to ensure there is no "back door" access to their system. I think users would be the first to complain if an open ANT+ facility led to all sorts of system software problems, so be careful what you wish for!

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
It is massively short sighted to eliminate 99% of the sports device market from connecting.
I lodged a request via this link I'd suggest anyone else who wants HR monitor /ANT connectivity to do the same.
Contact - Bosch eBike Systems (bosch-ebike.com)
Just sent off a request for a step by step guide to connecting my Garmin Epix to my Kiox display, wish me luck and if enough of us do it, you just never know. :ROFLMAO:

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Here's my reply from the BOSCH eBike team. Maybe some of the links might help someone out, my request was specifically for a Garmin Epix watch which has both a bluetooth and a HR monitor so doesn't really help me I'm afraid. At least they were very prompt in getting back to me.

Good afternoon Steve,

Thank you for contacting Bosch eBike Team.

We have created a service case for your request: 00083050. Please check these links:

Thank you and wishing you a lovely day.

Best wishes,

Iina Vettenranta

Bosch eBike Service Team

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
The Kiox and Kiox 300 have different user interfaces if your bike is has a Kiox 300 the info they have provided won’t work as there is no Bluetooth option under the settings menu. On the 300 Bluetooth is turned into pairing mode by holding the on button for 3sec until the top led on the remote flashes blue . Note this may disconnect any other device you have paired so if your have the flow bike lock enabled disabled it in the flow app before trying it incase you end up with a locked bike that needs a Bosch dealer fix. It might not break but it definitely lost pairing to my iPhone when I tried to pair my garmin(s) with my Kiox 300.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You are asking the wrong question. Kiox 300 is basically a dumb screen, hence significantly cheaper than Kiox . To pair anything using blutooth you are pairing with the LED Remote.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You need to be careful to distinguish between Kiox and the Bosch Smart System Kiox 300. With the Bosch Smart System Kiox 300 is merely used as a display screen operated by the Led Remote.
With no Kiox 300 you pair the Flow app running on a smartphone with the LED Remote and using the RIDE menu option you can get virtually the same display information as the Kiox 300..
So strap the phone to your bars and you have mostly the same facility as Kiox 300.....except you are using the smartphone battery and the phone has to maintain both cell coverage and Bluetooth connectivity to continue working.
Authorise connectivity to Strava in the flow app and as long as you have your phone with you on a ride your ride will be recorded and sent to Strava. It takes a few hours to appear however because that data is obviously sent to Bosch servers first and then forwarded to Strava....the Bosch servers obviously with a slower Internet connection.
All of which demonstrated the intelligence in the Bosch Smart system is distributed between the LED remote , battery BMS and motor PCB via the CAN.......all without any Kiox 300. The Kiox 300 merely add an onboard display function....just like your PC monitor.

Im_Tim_BTW

May 2, 2022
South Gloucestershire
You can allow the Flow app to read heart rate data from your Apple Watch, as follows: Flow App > Settings > Connected Services > under 'Available apps' select 'Apple Watch Heart rate Data'.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You can allow the Flow app to read heart rate data from your Apple Watch, as follows: Flow App > Settings > Connected Services > under 'Available apps' select 'Apple Watch Heart rate Data'.
It makes sense to do it that since the ride data collected and recorded by the bike consists those aspects the bike tracks like speed cadence watts etc.........it is then combined with location data ( gps) from the phone to produce the complete tracked ride with associated data. Hence you need your phone with you on a ride ( switched on obs and the Flow app running in background mode). The HR device is connected to the Flow App not the bike hence avoiding connecting a 3rd party device direct to the Bosch Smart System.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Something else I wonder a bout with the Bosch Smart system is that the blu tooth ID is Ebike Bosch System ( or similar) rather than a unique ID for the bike such as its serial number. You cannot connect to 2 different devices that have the same blutooth ID so what happens if you have 2 Bosch Smart System bikes?? With the Specialized Mission Control each bike has a unique ID.

Im_Tim_BTW

May 2, 2022
South Gloucestershire
It makes sense to do it that since the ride data collected and recorded by the bike consists those aspects the bike tracks like speed cadence watts etc.........it is then combined with location data ( gps) from the phone to produce the complete tracked ride with associated data. Hence you need your phone with you on a ride ( switched on obs and the Flow app running in background mode). The HR device is connected to the Flow App not the bike hence avoiding connecting a 3rd party device direct to the Bosch Smart System.
I’ve just been out for a ride and had the Heart rate monitoring setup. The Flow app is now on my Apple Watch and displays my heart rate in real time during the ride. However, none of the heart rate data appears to be recorded by the Flow app &/or transferred to Strava at the end of the ride.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
I’ve just been out for a ride and had the Heart rate monitoring setup. The Flow app is now on my Apple Watch and displays my heart rate in real time during the ride. However, none of the heart rate data appears to be recorded by the Flow app &/or transferred to Strava at the end of the ride.

Displays it where? on the Kiox or on the watch?

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
Probably only synched with the flow ride data in Apple Health , so overall its still a poor effort on bosch,s part imo.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Is your Apple Watch blu tooth paired to the bike?? If not the data cannot be combined...and you cannot pair both your phone with the Flow app and the Apple Watch with the Flow app to the bike.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You have to keep deleting a bike every time you wish to connect to a second Bosch Smart ebike!
yep....I guess that impacts on you quite a bit! You also have to remove the original bike pairing ID from your blutooth list on your phone.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Displayed via the Flow app on the watch. I keep my phone tucked away while riding so not sure if it also displays HR via the Flow app on the phone.

This is what I wonder, if the flow app and the bike can read data from the watch then why not use the watch for Strava (obviously records heart rate data) then it should send the information through to the flow app?

Having it all in one place is obviously best but like all things apple some trial and error in setting up all the permissions for writing and sending data...

Im_Tim_BTW

May 2, 2022
South Gloucestershire
Is your Apple Watch blu tooth paired to the bike?? If not the data cannot be combined...and you cannot pair both your phone with the Flow app and the Apple Watch with the Flow app to the bike.
The watch doesn’t need to be connected to the bike itself. The Flow app could record the data directly from the watch HRM or take it from the Health app.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The watch doesn’t need to be connected to the bike itself. The Flow app could record the data directly from the watch HRM or take it from the Health app.
As far as I can work out it is the bike that combines data from the phone...ie gps...and its own data. It accesses the phone gps data because the flow app runs in background and has that permission. So the bike is not taking data from the app per se. In terms of how the Bosch System works I think any HRM would need to be paired to the LED Remote and that HRM would need to allow capture/ storage of its output by the bike. ........just my thoughts based on how I see the interface to the Bosch system working....could be wrong!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles