Kiox 300 cant pair HR monitor?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
As far as I can work out it is the bike that combines data from the phone...ie gps...and its own data. It accesses the phone gps data because the flow app runs in background and has that permission. So the bike is not taking data from the app per se. In terms of how the Bosch System works I think any HRM would need to be paired to the LED Remote and that HRM would need to allow capture/ storage of its output by the bike. ........just my thoughts based on how I see the interface to the Bosch system working....could be wrong!!
Data available in the flow app is on Bosch flow app servers not stored on the phone so based on the above I see no way the bike could retrieve it.

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
From looking at the Flow App , I suspect it takes the HR from the paired (with Phone?) apple watch, though as I have a garmin watch I cant confirm that Nor if its a feature limited to Iphone Flow app users only ie can an apple watch connect to Android? and if you have an apple watch you probably have an iphone as well to get the full apple experience :rolleyes:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The defining design philosophy of the Bosch Smart system is that it is a closed and protected network. No data from any non approved source is likely to be allowed to write to any of its processors.

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
Bosch have adopted a similar closed shop approach attempt to re-invent the wheel on thier Motorbike Dash systems, Ducati have it on the current V4S Multistrada range and the Dash Nav system integration is widely criticised , most have fitted external GPS, like Garmin XT , its almost a defacto industry standard and Ducati themselves now offer it as an official accessory . Doing something different just because you can doesn't always make it a successful idea especially when there is already large market for the defacto ANT connectivity used practically everywhere in bike/fitness monitoring. Probably a VHS /Betamax argument but sometimes its better to swim with the tide than against especially when the offered HR nav integration on bosch bikes is soo crap to be little more than a gimmick . All just IMO

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Bosch have adopted a similar closed shop approach attempt to re-invent the wheel on thier Motorbike Dash systems, Ducati have it on the current V4S Multistrada range and the Dash Nav system integration is widely criticised , most have fitted external GPS, like Garmin XT , its almost a defacto industry standard and Ducati themselves now offer it as an official accessory . Doing something different just because you can doesn't always make it a successful idea especially when there is already large market for the defacto ANT connectivity used practically everywhere in bike/fitness monitoring. Probably a VHS /Betamax argument but sometimes its better to swim with the tide than against especially when the offered HR nav integration on bosch bikes is soo crap to be little more than a gimmick . All just IMO
As I menioned before the difference here is that the Bosch Smart System on the bike is a CAN network, not a standalone device. The LED Remote, motor PCB and Battery BMS are all interconnected on the CAN. No network administrator allows unregulated access into a network because that is a data security risk. I think any integrated HRM solution would have to be blu tooth connected rather than ANT and probably be a HRM device specific to the Bosch System whether that be a Bosch product or 3rd party.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Mikerb:
...that the Bosch Smart System on the bike is a CAN network, not a ...
No it's not. Not "IS", it "HAS" a CAN network.
It also has a Bluetooth network and an electrical network.

It doesn't have an ANT+ network, which is our problem.
Nobody asks for unregulated access. Just the standard implementation.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
No it's not. It HAS a CAN network.
It also has a Bluetooth network and an electrical network.

It doesn't have an ANT+ network, which is our problem.
Nobody asks for unregulated access. Just the standard implementation.
I agree, ANT+ wireless should be a given in this day and age. Its so useful, and just works so well. My Kenevo will broadcast power data and cadence to my Garmin, and my heart rate from Garmin is broadcast to the Kenevo display.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
......er.....a CAN is a data network....blu tooth is a single peer to peer wireless connection as is ANT. Clearly Specialized are using a different network architecture to Bosch.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
......er.....a CAN is a data network....blu tooth is a single peer to peer wireless connection as is ANT. Clearly Specialized are using a different network architecture to Bosch.
Brose, TQ, Fazua, Shimano, Yamaha etc are all ANT+. It’s pretty much a universally adapted connectivity protocol, but for some some reason Bosch haven’t added it.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Brose, TQ, Fazua, Shimano, Yamaha etc are all ANT+. It’s pretty much a universally adapted connectivity protocol, but for some some reason Bosch haven’t added it.
Yes I know and they are either accepting the risk of an open gateway to their bike system or have some form of firewall integrated. I spent years designing data networks and data security/integrity were always top priority. If you enable ANT connection on a bike controller any ANT enabled device can connect and it does not have to a HRM. I don't have the answer but I do understand the caution.
The reason may be that the Bosch Smart System uses a different protocol.....CAN FD rather than CAN. The previous Bosch generation was CAN. Whilst the CAN FD has benefits such as greatly increased data transfer speeds it probably requires specific UI conformance by 3rd parties. This is also why there is no backward compatibility with the previous Bosch generation of components.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I understand the need but find trying to analyse why Bosch need development time to integrate HRM data and how they might do that rather more constructive than throwing insults at people.

koolway

Aug 25, 2022
Belgium
I've received my new bike with the kiox300.... How deceiving that no hr monitor can be connected for a system that advertise itself as "THE fitness companion"...
I opened a request (that will be put under the pile of existing request) to either have HR connectivity available on the kiox.
Or (the best option imho) to broadcast power meter data as a power meter device. Anyone already having a bike computer or smartwatch already have all the metrics through GPS and HR connectivity, just lacking the power data.

I don't get why companies like bosch want to reinvent the wheel. the market leaders have been there for a long time now (~2014) and closing the ecosystem is unlikely to induce growth and will make people go away from your product....

Tankboy

Jun 23, 2022
Weymouth
Is there anyway the data from CAN could be rebroadcasted via a third party adaptor which could stream the data via ANT+?

I go from my Wattbike and manual bike both which have power meters, cadence etc and connect to my Garmin watch and 520, awesome data streams and tons of data to pour over. Get on the most expensive bike I've ever owned powered by Bosch and get nothing, even the connection to the phone drops out mid ride if you get off for a coffee etc - I'm sure I would have been fantastic about 15 years ago, but now??? Utterly frustrating ..................

Last edited:

mccoyman

Dec 26, 2022
Belgium
Still hopefull things change with New releases to have at least Bluetooth HR sensors connected to the kiox 300. As the old kiox does support this function.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Still hopefull things change with New releases to have at least Bluetooth HR sensors connected to the kiox 300. As the old kiox does support this function.
Any blutooth connection can only be made to the LED Remote...the Kiox 300 is just a screen

mccoyman

Dec 26, 2022
Belgium
Good point, but still i think with the Bluetooth option of led remote and screen change of the kiox 300 in terms of fields, it should be possible.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Good point, but still i think with the Bluetooth option of led remote and screen change of the kiox 300 in terms of fields, it should be possible.
...except Bosch are unwilling to allow universal blutooth connectivity to their SMart System network. They have approved connection to Apple Watch which suggests they will only approve nominated devices, so there may be a dedicated HR monitor that gets included on the approved list at some stage but I suspect it will be more intelligent devices than a simple chest belt for example so that specific encryption can be implemented. Just my reading of the how Bosch appear to be protecting their system from open 3rd party devices.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
So after the latest August 23 update it seems that the Kiox 300/500 still cannot display heart rate on the display. The previous Kiox could accept HR information from a select list of HR straps etc.

I'm sure they are working on it but I'd love to see HR in real time on the Kiox from a strap or apple watch/garmin etc

barnclos

Jun 20, 2023
Switzerland
Here’s my experience. I have linked my Apple Watch to the Bosch Flow app, and my phone is mounted on the bars. With the Flow app open on my phone, my watch displays heart rate (in the Flow watch app)
incoming-C51E118B-3754-4FB7-AE35-F3F5C6C4A790.png

and actual/average and max heart rates are available on my phone (in the Flow app)
IMG_4455.png

In my opinion:
the watch display is of very little/no value: I don’t want to be looking at my watch just to get one piece of information;
the phone display is potentially useful but I don’t use it because a) the Flow app display only works in landscape orientation, and my other bike apps are all portrait, b) the information displayed can’t be customised (I want HR, power, cadence and speed on one screen).

As others have stated, there is still no way to get this HR information displayed on Kiox 300. What is most frustrating is that we know that Flow communicates with Kiox 300 while riding, for example to display elevation information (that comes from the phone GPS).

I live in hope that HR information will be available on the Kiox 300 in the future, but the fact that it wasn’t part of the recent screen customisation update suggests that Bosch don’t understand how important/useful HR information is.

pinoymamba

Nov 26, 2023
USA
Does anyone know why the power and HR doesn’t get exported to Strava/Garmin? I’ve downloaded both files off Flow App and Garmin errors but works on Strava but no again not power or HR data.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
I don't know about the apps and Strava.

The Bosch Kiox device does not send data to the Garmin Device.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles