Kiox 300, no navigation?

antoinelc

Feb 25, 2022
FR
All is in the title, I’m quite shocked that the new release does not have navigation, even when paired with the phone for the gps. The previous Kiox could do that…

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
Rob asked Bosch, and received a reply:

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
I'm happy there is no GPS sensor in the "smart" system, that could have brought restricting to a whole new level.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You can already see the location of your bike on a map in the "ride" menu option in the flow app but that is not yet ported to the kiox 300 display. So that is the start of the navigation function.....and yes it uses the phone gps. I think the most likely route Bosch will take to get full navigation will be a tie up with Komoot.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
The latest flow app update is out today and here are the release notes. I’m downloading now

69F94F01-A422-4291-8FAF-754E3F92C1FA.png

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
.........plan your route on your smartphone.....................I assume using either Komoot or Strava?? Is that downloaded to Flow? .....Not very instructive those release notes are they!!

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Looks fine for Street riding but how good is it for off road?
Wish they'd allow pairing with a proper navigation app

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
What am I doing wrong? I connected the flow app to the bike and did the update. On the ride menu option I clicked on "my routes" and that then showed my saved Komoot tours. I selected one of those and pressed "go". The route came up on the phone but I could not find any Kiox screen with the navigation arrow.

BikeawaySpain

Oct 14, 2022
Spain
I checked it today on "regular" roads, I must say very accurate and easy to follow these "line" navigation indications. Also the screen follows the position/direction of the bike, so it is always a clear path and clear indications when to go left or right.

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
I can't even get the update, clicking update just redirects me to play store and from there back to the app at the beginning :D I wonder if it can use gpx routes?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I tried a gain today to get the navigation facility on Kiox 300..................and was successfull finally....but not without some messing a bout!!
Initially I could not connect Flow at all and usually it is instantaneous. I kept trying and eventually got a connection. Another software update was flagged. Tried to install it but it stalled halfway............then I could not connect again!

So...............I deleted the Flow app and restarted my phone. Installed the latest release of Flow and connected to the bike.

So now the LED Remote screen option ( top row) has another screen added for navigation saying "plan your ride on the Flow app". In the flow app I have enabled connection to Strava and Komoot. If on Flow I click on "your routes" all the gpxs I have saved in Komoot "Planned" routes section get downloaded to Flow. I select one and press Go..........the selected (planned Komoot) route comes up on Kiox as a complete route then reverts to the direction arrow etc. Because the route I chose does not start immediately from the current bike location it merely said "off route". OK thats fine.
I have yet to actually try to ride the route but it all looks to be working the way I anticipated now.

(p.s. Komoot itself actually provides distance and directions to the start of the tour so probably have to use that on the phone until you get to the starting point of the route)

Pleased so far!!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So for anyone looking to use this facility, this is how/why I use planned routes/tours.

If I am about to go somewhere new and want to ensure I can immediately access good trails I research the area using Trailforks. So for example I was due to go camping in South Wales and wanted to do at least one good ride over the Brecons and then go to Afan Forest. I used trailforks to find trails/routes/tours I liked and then exported those .gpx files to Komoot. On that occasion I ran Komoot on my phone and rather than trying to fix the phone to the bars ( I cant read without glasses anyway!!), I wore a set of mini blutooth headphones to get the verbal instructions, only referring to the tour on the phone if I went wrong.
Now with the navigation on Kiox 300 the headphones are not necessary. The route/tour planning is the same but now they are downloaded to Flow and the navigation guide comes up on the Kiox when one of those tours is selected. The Flow app on the phone becomes the fall back if I go wrong.
Next year I intend camping on Dartmoor and also visiting FOD........so I will be researching Trailforks for rides there.

N.R.G.

Nov 17, 2022
Hampshire
The update said that there was also an upgrade to show a suggested gear whilst you are riding , has any one seen this , I have not been out yet

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
The update said that there was also an upgrade to show a suggested gear whilst you are riding , has any one seen this , I have not been out yet
Yes... its kinda pointless IMO, on the speed screen there are little arrows that depending on cadence say something like "change up" or "change down". Its pretty funny really

N.R.G.

Nov 17, 2022
Hampshire
Yes... its kinda pointless IMO, on the speed screen there are little arrows that depending on cadence say something like "change up" or "change down". Its pretty funny really
I have just checked and you can turn it off/on in the menu

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I will be interested to see what criterea appear to be used to determine whether a gear change is recommended.

Having never been a roadie I had no real concept of cadence until I used the Kiox screen with that displayed for a c ouple of rides. I know the Bosch motor performs best at c 70 rpm and I know now what that feels like to pedal...........so I dont use that screen anymore, but it taught me something.

I think the same may apply with the gearchange indicator...at least on a more pedally type ride so I will try it..........then probably ignore it once I know what sort of cadence it encourages. I think it is a simple thing but at the same time a little window into the Bosch motor performance characteristics. It would actually be a good feature probably on a longer basis for my wife who tends to be in too high a gear most of the time....but she does not the Smart System.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles