Kenevo Weight

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
As you all know I am not fussed about ebike weight - I have come to realise that I will always be faster "uphill and down dale" on my emtb than any Uber fleather weight Acoustic.

But I am curious where the extra weight is in the Kenevo.

Has anyone partially stripped one to see where the extra IRO *5KG is coming from? (*compared to a levo or moterra)

It cant be the motor or battery and in know coil springs are heavier that alloy air springs - but that cant account for it all and the tires are not offending either.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its the frame design which need a lot of reinforcement for the internal battery, and the motor mount for the older Brose motor in it, and the weight of the older Brose motor too. The old Levo was also a heavy bike - its the new Levo and the redesign that has lead to weigh savings.

Aside from that its the coil shock etc etc as you have mentioned.

There are better LT bikes out there now, I personally wouldn't buy a Kenevo right now unless you can pick one up cheap, as the new one is bound to be something special.

Also there are some interesting bikes out soon - I know Whyte are bringing out a new 180mm travel bike with the updated Bosch system later this year fro example

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Compare the old levo and kenevo frames side by side, kenevo is a lot beefier, particularly the rear triangle

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
As R120 says - wait for the new Kenevo. Yes, there is always going to be something round the corner for years to come but we are really so close to so many new bikes being announced and available in the coming months not least with the new Bosch that unless you are desperate for a new EMTB for this summer I'd hold on for 2020 models.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
But I am curious where the extra weight is in the Kenevo.

Has anyone partially stripped one to see where the extra IRO *5KG is coming from? (*compared to a levo or moterra)

Looking at this table that Rob shared in the levo and kenevo weight thread, the kenevo is 24.5kg and the '18 aluminium levo is 23.5kg. There's easily 1kg in longer travel forks, coil shock and the beefier frame.

Sure, there is a bigger difference with the carbon '18 and for the s-works, but you would expect that for carbon frame and triangle. Very little point in comparing to the '19 levo as it has totally different frame design, different battery, different motor.

screen-shot-2018-06-21-at-13-11-30-png.2249

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
@Wiltshire Warrior Have you actually weighed your Moterra?
Just redone mine on a hand baggage scale EVOdx

My Moterra is 21.7KG (47.8LBS) W/O battery but with pedals and guards and butcher on the back and the MM one the front.

batteries add 2.44KG (5.3lbs) 400W or 2.61 500W (5.7lbs) which makes the Kenevo not that heavy after all.

And yes in my OP I should have said lbs not KG!!!!! well done for noticing.

I am 50/50 on old Kenevo vs waiting for the new one but I do like a bargain so who knows.

PS I am half way through flogging of my acoustic collection and have raised more than enough for a new one already, the only trouble is that I stupidly told my wife and she wants to blow it on a holiday!

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I'm not sure I understand what kind of riding you do. From previous discussions I was under the impression that you're mostly into riding as fast as possible on non technical surfaces. For that kind of riding I would rather look at the shorter travel bikes. I weighed the 2019 Kenevo Expert to 24.7kg btw.

The 2017 Merida eOne-Twenty 500 was about 22.3 kg with pedals, and it came with pretty heavy tubes. I believe a tubeless conversion would save about 400 grams. Narrower tyres could save a bit more. The 2019 Canyon Neuron on is 22.5 (+/-) without pedals.

If you need long travel then the Haibike xduro nduro 2.0 isn't too bad, 23.15kg without peedals, currently reviewing it.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
According to my luggage scales, my Trek (19.5" frame) is 23.9kg with the battery in, pedals on and Magic Mary front and rear.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My Moterra is 21.7KG (47.8LBS) W/O battery but with pedals and guards and butcher on the back and the MM one the front.

batteries add 2.44KG (5.3lbs) 400W or 2.61 500W (5.7lbs) which makes the Kenevo not that heavy after all.
No. It just makes your Moterra heavy AF.
The Kenevo is a far more capable bike (actual gravity focused mtb riding)

Keggie

Mar 12, 2019
Suffolk
I'm not sure I understand what kind of riding you do. From previous discussions I was under the impression that you're mostly into riding as fast as possible on non technical surfaces. For that kind of riding I would rather look at the shorter travel bikes. I weighed the 2019 Kenevo Expert to 24.7kg btw.

The 2017 Merida eOne-Twenty 500 was about 22.3 kg with pedals, and it came with pretty heavy tubes. I believe a tubeless conversion would save about 400 grams. Narrower tyres could save a bit more. The 2019 Canyon Neuron on is 22.5 (+/-) without pedals.

If you need long travel then the Haibike xduro nduro 2.0 isn't too bad, 23.15kg without peedals, currently reviewing it.

Hi knut what do you think of the haibike nduro 2.0

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Hi knut what do you think of the haibike nduro 2.0
Pretty lightweight considering it's a 180mm travel emtb, and cheaper than other bikes in it's category. Nice bike, review might not be out untill the end of the month.

Reactions: Dax

Keggie

Mar 12, 2019
Suffolk
Pretty lightweight considering it's a 180mm travel emtb, and cheaper than other bikes in it's category. Nice bike, review might not be out untill the end of the month.
Looking forward to reading your review as I have one , other the flyon range you don’t hear or read much if anything on here about the lower end haibikes

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you are looking at a good value long travel bike with the Bosch system, the Radon seems like a great option from Robs review

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles