Kenevo SL Kenevo SL 2 - Would you even notice?!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
The first S-Works Levo was replaced after only 12 months...

In these heady post pandemic-bike-boom days, Specialized are going to be stretching the roi as far as they can. Built a new motor for the LSL…slap it in the KSL and it’s more competitive on paper against the Relay, Heckler SL, etc, so the reviews look better.

I’m betting its 12-24 months before we see a KSL 3 with a different frame.

Geniusbiker

Jan 13, 2021
Germany
I can’t see them releasing a ‘new’ bike and not keeping it for at least a year - if not 2.

Yes, everyone knows it’s just the same bike with an updated motor and a few new components… but imagine the outcry if they release a KSL 3 (they are actually branding the new one as a KSL 2) within a year.
Remember the first Stumpjumper EVO that came first with an aluminum and short after with the carbon frame (MJ 2019)? It was replaced in 2020 with the present model. I sold my 2019 Stumpjumper EVO in the moment the new model was launched in October 2020.

Geniusbiker

Jan 13, 2021
Germany
In these heady post pandemic-bike-boom days, Specialized are going to be stretching the roi as far as they can. Built a new motor for the LSL…slap it in the KSL and it’s more competitive on paper against the Relay, Heckler SL, etc, so the reviews look better.

I’m betting its 12-24 months before we see a KSL 3 with a different frame.
I do agree with your 12 months, but not with 24 ;)

Geas

Jun 24, 2022
Austria
For anyone wondering, this 180mm OneUp dropper is at max insertion. There’s still 83mm of post left exposed (top of collar to wiper seal).

View attachment 129224
@Rob Rides EMTB just to double check: is this really the 180mm dropper you are referring to? In your post #36 you pulled out the 210mm version. I am asking because I am still wondering how a 180mm can stick out that much from an S5 frame according to the numbers collected in the previous posts. 🤔

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob Rides EMTB just to double check: is this really the 180mm dropper you are referring to? In your post #36 you pulled out the 210mm version. I am asking because I am still wondering how a 180mm can stick out that much from an S5 frame according to the numbers collected in the previous posts. 🤔
You are 100% correct and I have made an error. It is in fact a 210mm dropper /facepalm.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
How long did the LSL last before a redesign? I'd expect the KSL to last at least the same amount of time for several reasons;
1. It's actually pretty bloody good. The LSL was behind the geo curve on release day.
2. ROI. These things aren't cheap to design or manufacture and the global market is slowing.
3. New motor covers the power deficit with the competition and a bigger battery is actually pretty easy to do so Spesh could be saving it for a refresh in 12-18 months.
4. To fix the post insertion issue will require a complete redesign, not a couple of tweaks.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Oh, two more;
5. How big a seller is it really? What proportion of new bikes sales are light/mid eebs?
6. What competition does it have? How many other enduro lights are out there?

Geniusbiker

Jan 13, 2021
Germany
How long did the LSL last before a redesign? I'd expect the KSL to last at least the same amount of time for several reasons;
1. It's actually pretty bloody good. The LSL was behind the geo curve on release day.
2. ROI. These things aren't cheap to design or manufacture and the global market is slowing.
3. New motor covers the power deficit with the competition and a bigger battery is actually pretty easy to do so Spesh could be saving it for a refresh in 12-18 months.
4. To fix the post insertion issue will require a complete redesign, not a couple of tweaks.

What was the real reason that took Specialized 4 years to launch the Levo SL2? Was it the frame (I don´t think so)?
Or wasn´t it rather the motor that they needed to get much more quieter, especiallly after the TQ was released?

Geniusbiker

Jan 13, 2021
Germany
Oh, two more;
5. How big a seller is it really? What proportion of new bikes sales are light/mid eebs?
6. What competition does it have? How many other enduro lights are out there?
I think there´s not that much competition. The Transition Relay for example, Focus JAM², Simplon Rapcon PMAX.
Not so many. The market for light Enduro E-MTBs seems to be really small. Specialized are still selling the models from 2021, what might be also an indication that it was not a big seller in their lineup.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Just fyi George, they are motors, not engines. Engines are mostly internal combustion.
FYI - the head of Specialized’s “E” division calls it an Engine.

An engine doesn’t have to be internal combustion…
The definition of an engine is: a machine for converting any of various forms of energy into mechanical force and motion.

Personally, I’d call it a motor… however it is also an engine.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles