Keeping cool in the UK

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What is the temperature where you are ? Are you now getting scolded when you hit the dust as well as bruised?:unsure:
It's pretty warm. The sun also feels incredibly intense if you're in it. It also feels warmer than it is quite often - which you normally get with higher humidity, not lower - so there's some other weird thing going on, maybe higher ground temperatures ? We have a breeze at the moment so thinking of heading out for a ride now.

1660223540752.png

The outside temperature is well tucked away in the shade.

The surface conditions are also unusual. As it's so dry, much of the surface has become a slippy dust plus a lot of trees have dropped their leaves (no moisture/too hot), giving trails an autumnal feel, except the leaves aren't crispy as they normally are, they're stronger and have a really slippy texture. Even walking off camber/descending on the dust or leaves has you slipping around.

On a plus note - beer tastes even nicer than normal if you can imagine such a thing .....

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It's pretty warm. The sun also feels incredibly intense if you're in it. It also feels warmer than it is quite often - which you normally get with higher humidity, not lower - so there's some other weird thing going on, maybe higher ground temperatures ? We have a breeze at the moment so thinking of heading out for a ride now.

View attachment 94516

The outside temperature is well tucked away in the shade.

The surface conditions are also unusual. As it's so dry, much of the surface has become a slippy dust plus a lot of trees have dropped their leaves (no moisture/too hot), giving trails an autumnal feel, except the leaves aren't crispy as they normally are, they're stronger and have a really slippy texture. Even walking off camber/descending on the dust or leaves has you slipping around.

On a plus note - beer tastes even nicer than normal if you can imagine such a thing .....
Just did a trip in my BMW and said it was 32c...its usually pretty accurate. The trails here are the same plus there has been so much erosion of the dry soil that a lot of root runs are exposed. The other day we rode along the Ridgeway which is the highest point about 1 mile in from the sea so a nice breeze but whenever the breeze lulled we could feel the ground heat which was like being close to a bonfire. Talking of which......quite a few fires here mostly caused by numpties with disposable bbqs.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
To me looks like fox crown and stansions and ohlins lowers (Prob can do with a fox 38/ohlins 38) or, maybe he put an ohlins damper in his fox?

whatever it is, it’s better than Steve’s bruised butt cheek pic.

It looks to me like this thread has been derailed! The point of my photos was to show my riding attire (same jersey in both pics!) in different locations (Whistler vs North Shore, similar trail difficulty (both Double Black) at a similar temperature (both over 32 degrees). As for my fork, I swapped the Fox 38 Performance that came stock on the bike for a Fox 38 Factory that I had on a previous bike but the orange clashed with my color scheme. If you can't be good, you should at least always try to look good :cool:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
This is what the haematoma looked like when I broke 4 ribs going over the rumble strip at Brands Hatch. 8 weeks sleeping in an armchair with my unsympathetic medical wife taking the piss wasn't an entirely enjoyable period of my life. Couldn't lie down, take a deep breath, laugh, cough, sneeze, get constipated, ...

View attachment 94453

I know how you feel! I’m typing this 2 1/2 weeks after breaking 2 ribs. Came off a very tame banana boat in Barbados with my family, and my brother in-law landed on my ribs with his shoulder. The big padded life jacket took the brunt of it, so no bruising. After 9 more days in Barbados, I returned to the UK and made my way to A&E… where they X-Rayed me to check my lungs.

Sent home with a stash of Co-Codimol and basically told to grin and bare it for the next 4-6 weeks. Hardly taken any of the pills as they bung me up and cause a different issue! Pooping with broken ribs is hard work, as is breathing, sneezing, coughing, bending, stretching etc etc. Feeling a LOT better now - and might even try a bike ride round some smooth trails this weekend.

It’s unfortunate they’re on the side I regularly sleep on… so I wake myself up in pain most nights when I roll over in my sleep 😂

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I know how you feel! I’m typing this 2 1/2 weeks after breaking 2 ribs. Came off a very tame banana boat in Barbados with my family, and my brother in-law landed on my ribs with his shoulder. The big padded life jacket took the brunt of it, so no bruising. After 9 more days in Barbados, I returned to the UK and made my way to A&E… where they X-Rayed me to check my lungs.

Sent home with a stash of Co-Codimol and basically told to grin and bare it for the next 4-6 weeks. Hardly taken any of the pills as they bung me up and cause a different issue! Pooping with broken ribs is hard work, as is breathing, sneezing, coughing, bending, stretching etc etc. Feeling a LOT better now - and might even try a bike ride round some smooth trails this weekend.

It’s unfortunate they’re on the side I regularly sleep on… so I wake myself up in pain most nights when I roll over in my sleep 😂
Sorry to hear of your pain. Pretty much any Codeine based painkiller will cause constipation, although I know of some people that claim not to be affected by it. The longer you take the Codeine the worse you will be. Instead of not taking the pain relief for fear of something worse (bad constipation can kill, almost did for my sister-in-law), take a laxative daily, something like Senekot. Whenever doctors prescribe Codeine, they should automatically also prescribe a suitable laxative.
Severe constipation is grim. Grim to experience and grim to resolve. :cry: It's a good source of jokes and bloke humour though! :ROFLMAO:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Sorry to hear of your pain. Pretty much any Codeine based painkiller will cause constipation, although I know of some people that claim not to be affected by it. The longer you take the Codeine the worse you will be. Instead of not taking the pain relief for fear of something worse (bad constipation can kill, almost did for my sister-in-law), take a laxative daily, something like Senekot. Whenever doctors prescribe Codeine, they should automatically also prescribe a suitable laxative.
Severe constipation is grim. Grim to experience and grim to resolve. :cry: It's a good source of jokes and bloke humour though! :ROFLMAO:

I’ve had codine based pills a few time without any side effects, but I think these are much stronger.
I was trying to only take them at night to help me get a decent sleep… but even one dose a night for 3 nights was enough to cause other ‘issues’!
Last think I wanted to be doing was straining on the loo… so I just stopped taking them.

Even with the broken ribs and just some ibuprofen, I still managed to go snorkelling off a scuba boat, and go on a jetski a couple of times. My kids are 7 and 3, so daddy had to just put a brave face on and get on with it!
I thought water skiing was maybe a bit beyond my pain threshold though!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Wait a minute...Do you mean to tell me you guys call a golden ale a beer? :ROFLMAO:

Don't get me wrong, if it were cold, I would drink it. But we have a little more respect for the word "beer" around here.
Of course it's a beer ..we were drinking the stuff before your country was discovered lager-boy ..😂
It's what we call real ale ..and in case you hadn't noticed the condensation on the bottle & the glass ..it was refreshingly cold
Cheers 🍻

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
Of course it's a beer ..we were drinking the stuff before your country was discovered lager-boy ..😂
It's what we call real ale ..and in case you hadn't noticed the condensation on the bottle & the glass ..it was refreshingly cold
Cheers 🍻

My, how far the mighty have fallen!

I actually prefer ales but I don't like them all sugary with unfermented malt sugars and even your ancestors would say it lacks hops. That stuff would have spoiled before you can say "soda-pop beer"!. A poor excuse for a beer. The English palette is not what it once was.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles