keeping bike in garage on cold nights

moseven

Aug 13, 2020
manchester
Hi everyone, just a question on keeping bike in garage on cold nights - will this cause battery to deteriorate over time? I've had this previously with things like lights, etc and kept them in cold conditions which has led to battery failing

It's a whyte e160 with internal bosch battery - cant find anything on the bosch site telling me what temps etc.

anyone with experience and what temps should I consider taking battery out and storing in the house?

all the best
Mo

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
I think anywhere between -20C and 25C is fine. I had a PHEV car and didn’t really have much choice about storage in low temps :D Big reduction in range on the PHEV in the cold though, even when I left the heater off so I guess the same applies to emtbs. Ideal storage I believe is about 15C but I wouldn’t overly worry.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Will have the same issue over winter with my E-160. I did wonder about one of those greenhouse heaters. But you're right @Herder000 , I used to have a PHEV and that sat outside in all weathers.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I can't be arsed to find the handbook, but the storage temp on my Focus battery was something like +/- 40degC. As I live in the UK, the prospect of anywhere near -40degC does not exist. My bike lives in an unheated garage that goes below zero in the winter.

I absolutely would not keep the battery on charge the whole time. The ideal storage charge for a bike battery is between 60 and 80%, outside that the battery life is compromised. There are lots of threads on this topic on this Forum, one quite recently with charts and stuff.

moseven

Aug 13, 2020
manchester
Thanks for replies and info everyone - sounds like I'm ok to leave in garage then......good to know its got better protection than other devices. I know on the moto I have an optimate plugged in most of winter which helps.

I can see me using this at least once or twice a week from now on - so no chance of it being left sitting during the winter - too much fun!!
cheers
Mo

Worthy

Aug 25, 2020
Caerphilly
Thanks for replies and info everyone - sounds like I'm ok to leave in garage then......good to know its got better protection than other devices. I know on the moto I have an optimate plugged in most of winter which helps.

I can see me using this at least once or twice a week from now on - so no chance of it being left sitting during the winter - too much fun!!
cheers
Mo
From the Bosch site.

Protecting the battery
The battery is the most sensitive component of the eBike. It can lose capacity at low temperatures, which in turn can limit the bike's range. During winter use with temperatures below zero you are advised to remove the battery, store it at room temperature and replace it on the bike shortly before your next journey. When you return, you should ideally store the battery indoors at temperatures between 10° and 20°C. The same applies to charging the battery: the lithium-ion cells should be charged at room temperature.

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
OK - I'm used to my motorcycle batteries which are kept on optimates all year round.

I'll take your advice on this.

Alan

moseven

Aug 13, 2020
manchester
From the Bosch site.

Protecting the battery
The battery is the most sensitive component of the eBike. It can lose capacity at low temperatures, which in turn can limit the bike's range. During winter use with temperatures below zero you are advised to remove the battery, store it at room temperature and replace it on the bike shortly before your next journey. When you return, you should ideally store the battery indoors at temperatures between 10° and 20°C. The same applies to charging the battery: the lithium-ion cells should be charged at room temperature.
Good info - they seem to be saying if below zero then remove battery and store in house - and then keep the battery stored between 10 and 20 when returning

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Storing Li-ion cells at lower temperatures is not directly detrimental to battery life. Low temperature increase the internal resistance (i.e. more energy is lost during charge/discharge by the conductive path). This also means that when operating at lower temperatures the battery will have lower usable capacity. Not sure about storing them at very low sub-zero conditions, but my guess is that you do not want the battery to actually freeze.
Charging at very low (sub 0oc) is not advisable (and may be prevented by BMS...not sure) as it can lead to deterioration of battery capacity and thus battery life. Charging and discharging at very high temperatures (>>45-50oc) is also not good for battery life.

I myself store my battery pack inside with 50-80% charge. I charge my battery day/night before my ride

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
On the inside of my 20 Levo battery

7CFEB046-B70A-4304-9C63-0136AD38EABD.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles