Keeping cool in the UK

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The recent warm weather here has given me some insight into the riding conditions many on here endure in Australia New Zealand and US etc.
Yesterday we rode in temperatures of about 26/27c.....yes I know that is a lot less than the 30c plus in those places.....but enough to make me seriously consider what wear to stay cool yet still have reasonable protection. So here is my heat wave set up!
Under Armour heatwave shorts and vest. G.Form Pro armoured shorts. Leatt roost vest (d30 shoulder and chest pads). POC back protector. Smith Mainline full face helmet.....and lightweight gloves. No mtb Jersey, O'Neil shorts. Bridgedale lightweight merino socks.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
The recent warm weather here has given me some insight into the riding conditions many on here endure in Australia New Zealand and US etc.
Yesterday we rode in temperatures of about 26/27c.....yes I know that is a lot less than the 30c plus in those places.....but enough to make me seriously consider what wear to stay cool yet still have reasonable protection. So here is my heat wave set up!
Under Armour heatwave shorts and vest. G.Form Pro armoured shorts. Leatt roost vest (d30 shoulder and chest pads). POC back protector. Smith Mainline full face helmet.....and lightweight gloves. No mtb Jersey, O'Neil shorts. Bridgedale lightweight merino socks.

No knee or elbow pads?

Fox profame helmet is great in this weather!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No knee or elbow pads?

Fox profame helmet is great in this weather!
Ah...forgot those! No elbow pads. Nukeproof knee pads. Never worn elbow pads....years of windsurfing has made it automatic to keep them tucked in a crash so have not as much as cut an arm or elbow. Ribs seem to be my most targeted area!

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
If I was just riding gravel paths and nice country trails then I would wear less protection but when a mistake can lead to a crash that has a higher chance of injury I'm gonna gear up. Dress for the crash not the ride... Or something like that.
I've come off even when not pushing it on uplift days (easy to make a mistake) and it was only the gear I was wearing that meant I could get back on the bike and carry on instead of ending my fun early.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Sounds to me like you need stabiliser’s and slow down a bit if you need to wear all that sh*t 😉😃

Haha... gear shaming, you have to respect that cuz fat shaming would be crossing the line! As @Bummers has stated, I would like to think its better to be a little over protected and be able to keep riding than under protected and have to call it a day, if you crash. That being said, in the bike park I will wear a full face helmet, chest/spine protector and padded under shorts (used to wear a neck brace) to my usual list of knees, elbows, skid lid and gloves. Sure its much hotter (Whistler can get up to 40 degress when humidity is factored in) but we are not pedalling much there so its better to be able to walk away from a crash. The contrary point to this is when we ride Squamish or the North Shore, where the trails are just as difficult as Whistler (generally not as fast) and we wear knees/elbows, skid lid and gloves but always bring ample amounts of hope and faith :D.

Whistler Wear:
20220809_152249.jpg

Regular Wear:
20220809_152428.jpg

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
Haha... gear shaming, you have to respect that cuz fat shaming would be crossing the line! As @Bummers has stated, I would like to think its better to be a little over protected and be able to keep riding than under protected and have to call it a day, if you crash. That being said, in the bike park I will wear a full face helmet, chest/spine protector and padded under shorts (used to wear a neck brace) to my usual list of knees, elbows, skid lid and gloves. Sure its much hotter (Whistler can get up to 40 degress when humidity is factored in) but we are not pedalling much there so its better to be able to walk away from a crash. The contrary point to this is when we ride Squamish or the North Shore, where the trails are just as difficult as Whistler (generally not as fast) and we wear knees/elbows, skid lid and gloves but always bring ample amounts of hope and faith :D.

Whistler Wear:
View attachment 94423

Regular Wear:
View attachment 94424
No one is shaming anyone, if you guys want t wear all that gear that’s your choice.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I was aiming to describe what type of gear worked for me in terms of staying cool whilst having reasonable protection. The under armour shorts and vest are particularly effective both in terms of providing mild compression and wicking sweat. ( ps most pro athletes wear compression gear as first layer).
Everyone to their own choices but keep in mind many avoidable mtb injuries can require either rescue services or healthcare services...or both.
.....At 71 years old I can also tell you that every broken bone torn ligament or muscle suffered over decades of various sports, comes back to haunt you.....or in worst case scenarios effectively renders you disabled.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Ah...forgot those! No elbow pads. Nukeproof knee pads. Never worn elbow pads....years of windsurfing has made it automatic to keep them tucked in a crash so have not as much as cut an arm or elbow. Ribs seem to be my most targeted area!

My most frequent riding buddy is a retired consultant orthopaedic surgeon. If you heard what he says about the complexity and high failure rate of elbow repairs you would wear elbow protection ...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Mikerb Yep, me too! If I'm just pootling around the village (rarely) I just wear the helmet and gloves from my usual array of protective gear, on top of whatever normal clothing that I happen to be wearing that day.

Otherwise, it's always the following: boots, knee/shin guards, elbow guards, backpack, gloves, helmet, padded undershorts. Clothing is weather dependent and ranges from a wicking tee shirt and 3/4 pants to full length trousers and a jacket. The jacket also varies with the weather, ranging from a lightweight windproof, to a thick insulated waterproof. I also have a lightweight waterproof for the backpack. A neck tube for those really cold days or when the rain tries to drizzle down my neck. The gloves also vary from really thin lightweight ventilated ones to thick waterproofs. I have seven pairs of gloves to choose from and frequently take a spare pair in my backpack for when conditions are unpredictable. I just cannot find a thin, uninsulated but waterproof glove. It still rains in the Summer (at least in the UK).

I have only recently started wearing full length trousers (Fox Ranger :)). I finally got fed up of my lower legs being torn to ribbons by the brambles that infest my part of the world. I thought they would be too hot for the Summer, but not so - I even got away with them in the South of France in early April and Australia a week later (OZ Autumn). I have just bought some thicker ones (Nukeproof Blackline) as I expect them to be a bit warmer than the Fox Rangers when the colder weather arrives.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My most frequent riding buddy is a retired consultant orthopaedic surgeon. If you heard what he says about the complexity and high failure rate of elbow repairs you would wear elbow protection ...
I have been a fan of elbow guards from quite early on. But I went through a phase of falling off and landing on my side. No damage to the elbows, but the guards did a lot of damage* to my ribs! :LOL:

Note* By damage, I don't mean broken, I mean sprained to the point of breaking, such that it is difficult to move, laugh, cough, get in/out of a car, roll over in bed, anything really without pain. A rib that is actually broken must hurt like hell. :eek:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I would lose 3-5 lbs of water on a summer enduro moto ride with full gear on. I think helmet and head ventilation is probably the most important! Also, choosing routes that allow you to maintain a decent speed so that the "man made wind" cools you. Pads with open backs rather than fabric backs also help. I have a mesh jersey that I would wear on the ultra hot days. On the mountain bike, I'll usually make sure I have a water bottle that I can use to soak my head/neck/back occasionally or at a minimum, at the start of the ride to "prime" the cooling.

And the #1 tip for hot weather riding is to make sure you get your gear out of your vehicle and wash/dry it. Nothing is worse than the perpetual stank that sweaty riding gear can leave in your car or truck!

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have been a fan of elbow guards from quite early on. But I went through a phase of falling off and landing on my side. No damage to the elbows, but the guards did a lot of damage* to my ribs! :LOL:

Note* By damage, I don't mean broken, I mean sprained to the point of breaking, such that it is difficult to move, laugh, cough, get in/out of a car, roll over in bed, anything really without pain. A rib that is actually broken must hurt like hell. :eek:

This is what the haematoma looked like when I broke 4 ribs going over the rumble strip at Brands Hatch. 8 weeks sleeping in an armchair with my unsympathetic medical wife taking the piss wasn't an entirely enjoyable period of my life. Couldn't lie down, take a deep breath, laugh, cough, sneeze, get constipated, ...

Haematoma.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just bought one of these:
Fox Racing Flexair Long Sleeve Jersey Celz SS22 | Chain Reaction

Long sleeve from Fox Racing, 40% off. The sleeves and shoulders are reinforced for increased abrasion resistance / anti-snagging. The body is made of material so well ventilated that you can see through it if you hold it up to the light. I wore it for the first time yesterday and it was excellent. Kept me cool and non-sweaty (except for under the backpack). Good fit, good sleeve length. Definitely not for Winter though!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
This is what the haematoma looked like when I broke 4 ribs going over the rumble strip at Brands Hatch. 8 weeks sleeping in an armchair with my unsympathetic medical wife taking the piss wasn't an entirely enjoyable period of my life. Couldn't lie down, take a deep breath, laugh, cough, sneeze, get constipated, ...

View attachment 94453
I will raise you your piddling little bruise (I do not raise you on the pain aspect though, you win!) with the completely sober fall from a stool that earned me the Forum name "Wedding Crasher". The bruise later spread down past my knee. And yes, it did hurt, but as I said, you win on that one. :eek:

Bruise 4.jpg

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I will raise you your piddling little bruise (I do not raise you on the pain aspect though, you win!) with the completely sober fall from a stool that earned me the Forum name "Wedding Crasher". The bruise later spread down past my knee. And yes, it did hurt, but as I said, you win on that one. :eek:

You did that falling off a stool? :wtf:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You did that falling off a stool? :wtf:
Yep, I was at a wedding in Australia, sat on a tall stool, so tall that I had the heels of my shoes resting on the rungs about 12" off the ground. I was summoned to a wedding photo with the happy couple and as I turned to go left, my left heel stayed on the rung and I pivoted down to the floor. I went down like a falling tree, ie straight but with a slight bend so that my hip bone hit the concrete first, then the rest of me. I also knocked up my left shoulder, but no bruising to show for it just stiffness for about a week. I would like to say that I landed like an agile cat, but it was more like a dead cat, but with no bounce. :rolleyes:

The bride was a paramedic and it seemed that half the guests were from the medical profession, judging by how many complete strangers were rushing to the aid of "the old guy who's had a fall, and should have taken more water with it!" :ROFLMAO:

Ah well, the entertainment was judged to be good. :)

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Summer time in Orange County, California gets hot. It rains here once a year whether it needs to or not. Early morning rides typically start off cool at around 27c. By mid ride it'll typically reach around 35-38c. I like to use two lightweight ride kits for hot weather. Both are very breathable, minimize overheating, and allow sweated out kit to dry quickly.

Troy Lee designs sells the Skyline Air Short. The entire front side of the short is mesh and vents extremely well. I've had several hard crashes wearing this short and it's durable.

1660147857462.png

Troy Lee Designs also sells the Skyline Air Shirt which has hundreds of micro small vent holes. This shirt breathes exceptionally well so you won't overheat and it dries very quickly when sweated out.

1660148276363.png

Patagonia makes the mountain bike "Capilene Cool Lightweight Shirt." This shirt seems more like a workout or running shirt with a mountain biking name added. This shirt is extremely lightweight and minimalist. It offers absolutely no protection, but keeps me cool and vents beautifully. This is not a durable shirt, if you crash hard, it likely won't survive. I love this shirt for hot weather riding.

Screenshot 2022-08-10 08.44.39.jpg

Patagonia also makes the Landfarer mountain bike short which is a very comfortable and breathable bike short. I like that the short has a flat elastic band around the backside of the waist to keep the shorts up and snug. If you wear a hip pack, the flat elastic band on the short works well at avoiding heat/rub spots like a protruding velcro waistband adjuster may cause.

Screenshot 2022-08-10 08.47.12.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
@Mikerb Yep, me too! If I'm just pootling around the village (rarely) I just wear the helmet and gloves from my usual array of protective gear, on top of whatever normal clothing that I happen to be wearing that day.

Otherwise, it's always the following: boots, knee/shin guards, elbow guards, backpack, gloves, helmet, padded undershorts. Clothing is weather dependent and ranges from a wicking tee shirt and 3/4 pants to full length trousers and a jacket. The jacket also varies with the weather, ranging from a lightweight windproof, to a thick insulated waterproof. I also have a lightweight waterproof for the backpack. A neck tube for those really cold days or when the rain tries to drizzle down my neck. The gloves also vary from really thin lightweight ventilated ones to thick waterproofs. I have seven pairs of gloves to choose from and frequently take a spare pair in my backpack for when conditions are unpredictable. I just cannot find a thin, uninsulated but waterproof glove. It still rains in the Summer (at least in the UK).

I have only recently started wearing full length trousers (Fox Ranger :)). I finally got fed up of my lower legs being torn to ribbons by the brambles that infest my part of the world. I thought they would be too hot for the Summer, but not so - I even got away with them in the South of France in early April and Australia a week later (OZ Autumn). I have just bought some thicker ones (Nukeproof Blackline) as I expect them to be a bit warmer than the Fox Rangers when the colder weather arrives.
I wear windsurfing gloves in the winter.....I have a few pairs because I tried various brands but none of the work for windsurfing! They are good for dry or wet days in winter on the bike though. They are just neoprene so good grip and in terms of warmth work like a wetsuit

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I wear windsurfing gloves in the winter.....I have a few pairs because I tried various brands but none of the work for windsurfing! They are good for dry or wet days in winter on the bike though. They are just neoprene so good grip and in terms of warmth work like a wetsuit
I also get cuts on the legs from gorse and sometimes bramble but rather than resort to long trail trousers I wear ski socks. The lightweight ones are not bulky when worn pushed down a round the ankle and if I know I am heading into a trail with gorse or bramble I pull them up and they provide sufficent protection to avoid cuts and scratches. Ski socks are " over the calf" length and self supporting unlike the longer and looser football socks.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Sounds to me like you need stabiliser’s and slow down a bit if you need to wear all that sh*t 😉😃
No one is shaming anyone, if you guys want t wear all that gear that’s your choice.
Altho my blood is British, I have lived in one of the Colonies for most of my life so I am not sure what "stabiliser’s" refers to in your statement? Training wheels? British humor?
I completely understand that we all come from a variety of backgrounds and have acquired varying degrees of skill with our time on our bikes but I assume the OP was raising the question of what others wear in hot weather and where they draw the line between safety and comfort.
I find it fascinating that some Forum members are so quick to chime in about how inferior others are (maybe in jest, it so difficult to tell in written form) yet provide little to no evidence of their skills in the form of a picture or video. Are we really all just a bunch of well off, overweight, old men who can type up a witty reply? I think it would be helpful to have a signature line with a link to a video or two of some of your favourite places to ride so others have some context for the statements and opinions that are made.

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
Altho my blood is British, I have lived in one of the Colonies for most of my life so I am not sure what "stabiliser’s" refers to in your statement? Training wheels? British humor?
I completely understand that we all come from a variety of backgrounds and have acquired varying degrees of skill with our time on our bikes but I assume the OP was raising the question of what others wear in hot weather and where they draw the line between safety and comfort.
I find it fascinating that some Forum members are so quick to chime in about how inferior others are (maybe in jest, it so difficult to tell in written form) yet provide little to no evidence of their skills in the form of a picture or video. Are we really all just a bunch of well off, overweight, old men who can type up a witty reply? I think it would be helpful to have a signature line with a link to a video or two of some of your favourite places to ride so others have some context for the statements and opinions that are made.

Yes my comments were meant in Jest but I obviously see that they were not taken in that way to which I apologise to @Mikerb .

Given the short spell of hot weather we are currently having in the UK I was meaning that if a ride was at a steadier pace then there maybe no need to wear their regular protective equipment other than Helmet and gloves and would feel more comfortable in the Heat , which will pass over in the next few days and then back to normality.

I was not aiming to offend anyone.

As regards photos and videos, that’s not for me, but riding bikes….Mtbs from 1984.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yes my comments were meant in Jest but I obviously see that they were not taken in that way to which I apologise to @Mikerb .

Given the short spell of hot weather we are currently having in the UK I was meaning that if a ride was at a steadier pace then there maybe no need to wear their regular protective equipment other than Helmet and gloves and would feel more comfortable in the Heat , which will pass over in the next few days and then back to normality.

I was not aiming to offend anyone.

As regards photos and videos, that’s not for me, but riding bikes….Mtbs from 1984.
No offence taken.....you raise a valid point however in terms of how much you push the limits determined by circumstance. The kit I described was my "light" set of armour and both because of that and the heat I agreed with my riding buddy that we would take it easy and take lots of breaks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles