Just looking for now.....

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Pondering Emtb for 20-40 mile trail riding with 1-2K feet climbing. Focus Jam2 seems the favourite, does anyone have one of these?

I ride daily to work on my brompton (commuting) and on mtb (dog walk/ride) and I get out with the club once a week for a 20-30 mile circuit in the Marlborough Downs - which is minimum 1000ft climb.

Then once a month into Purbecs or FoD

We have one particular local climb which gets so steep no-one can ride it and with me the wrong side of 45 - I will never be able to - unless.....

I am still using 26" rims and triple chainset and I prefer to be in 11X44 on the road

So I need something that will get me uphill faster and further - but be able to spin along at 25mph on the fast downhill roads home.

I am ruling a hardtail out and I only use inner tubes in the brompton, so I will have to convert or upgrade the rims if not UST.
I am liking the Focus - ( for the twin battery set up) but wondered if there was a better option

Today I "man handled" and Moterra and Cube Stereo in lbs - pleasantly surprised at the weight - I reckon I could pass one over a 5 bar gate - but not too many times!

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
With the Jam 2 you will most likely need the TEC pack on it to extend the range if you are aiming to get 40 miles out of it. On the ride below, there where 3 people on Focus's, one on a Jam with no TEC pack, who rode mostly in ECO mode, and got back with 2 bars left - the others had a Sam and a Bold with the TEC packs. Lot more elevation on this ride though. The smaller battery on the Focus is offset by the lower weight, and even more so if you are not heavy yourself. Elevation is the real range killer, not distance on e-mtbs

Range is hard to predict as so much depends on your riding style, fitness, mode you use, and the terrain.

I was on a Vitus E-Sommet, and just hit one bar when we got back, riding 60% ish trail and the rest eco.

Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 18.20.03.png

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
Also bear in mind my 2 bars could be anything between 21% and 40%. I would guess I was at about 25%.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles