Just joined the Commencal gang

flynnyfalcon

Apr 21, 2020
Melbourne
Hey all, as of yesterday I'm proud to call myself a Commencal Meta Power 29 owner. I've got it all together, just need to tune it up and take it on its maiden voyage.

Commencal looks to have done an awesome job, design, colour scheme and specs seem really well thought out. For the longer term owners out there, can you recommend any must have mods or tweaks to get the most out of your bike? I've been running 2.6's on my previous bike to good effect, are the 2.35's sufficient, they seem thin given other manufactures specs? Are the factory pedals any good? I've never owned any SRAM components, any changes here? Also any tips or good tutorials for suspension setup on the Lyrics?

I've been mostly hands off in the past, but putting the bike together has me inspired to get my hands dirty.

MetaPower.jpg

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Nice looking bike. Welcome.
Go tubeless. I'm happy with stock Magic Mary and Hans Dampf and I'm heavy. Good predictable grip on most surfaces at about 23psi.
For UK winter riding I fitted a mudhugger rear and front on the back to protect my back, the seat post and the motor and bearings. The stock front Commencal mudguard is too short and lets a lot of stuff hit the bike.
Invisiframe or similar before riding. Last yeas paint chips really easily and touch up is not available.

flynnyfalcon

Apr 21, 2020
Melbourne
View attachment 29807
Me too. Just back from my first ride. I like it!

Need to tinker with the suspension a bit, and I think I want bigger tires + cush core maybe?

Congrats on the new bike!!

Yep, bigger tyres for me also. I took the maiden voyage on Friday and the front felt a little loose. Definitely think some wider tyres and lower pressure will improve grip. And yep, suspension for me definitely needs some tweaking. Need to do a crash course.
IMG_0865.jpg

flynnyfalcon

Apr 21, 2020
Melbourne
So I just ordered a set of Cushcores, will set up the wheels tubeless hopefully before the next ride.

Can anyone recommend rim tape? Is there much of a difference between brands? I’ve heard even some regular tapes (gorilla grip) from hardware stores can do the job just as well. 31.5mm inner rim, so 35mm tape?

jatkinson

Apr 24, 2020
Squamish
You shouldn’t need rim tape as the rims are already taped from the factory (at least mine were)

I like mine much better with the cushcore installed (install is generally aggravating - have a beer or 3 handy).

I still think I would like a larger 2.6ish front tire on mine.

flynnyfalcon

Apr 21, 2020
Melbourne
You shouldn’t need rim tape as the rims are already taped from the factory (at least mine were)

I like mine much better with the cushcore installed (install is generally aggravating - have a beer or 3 handy).

I still think I would like a larger 2.6ish front tire on mine.

I’ve read varying reports of what “tubeless ready” actually means, but if it’s already taped then fantastic!! Thanks.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Just go tubeless, it’s pretty easy, only thing about it is the hard downhill casing of the tires is pretty hard to mount on the DT Swiss rims, but once set up I t works flawless as a tubeless setup. I’ve added a 2,6” Magic Mary front tire which is around 5mm wider.
For the suspension you should get the new Debonair C1 2021 upgrade kit which is €30-ish and read Setup Guide – How to adjust your mountain bike suspension for optimal performance | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine for the tuning tweak.
I’ve been running mine since late November and clocked up around 1000 km without any problems.
AD4EE0FA-DE9A-4400-8010-7B81874E0B75.jpeg

Last edited:

flynnyfalcon

Apr 21, 2020
Melbourne
Just go tubeless, it’s pretty easy, only thing about it is the hard downhill casing of the tires is pretty hard to mount on the DT Swiss rims, but once set up I t works flawless as a tubeless setup. I’ve added a 2,6” Magic Mary front tire which is around 5mm wider.
For the suspension you should get the new Debonair C1 2021 upgrade kit which is €30-ish and read Setup Guide – How to adjust your mountain bike suspension for optimal performance | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine for the tuning tweak.
I’ve been running mine since late November and clocked up around 1000 km without any problems.
View attachment 31371

Appreciate the tips Will definitely upgrade the forks. Too good a deal not to.

Any recommendations for tyres for Australian conditions, specifically Victorian. I run Minions on my Norco Optic and like their performance. Whether that translates to ebike im not sure. Putting a bigger Magic Mary upfront does make sense.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles