Just an Observation

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
Out and about riding local trails I'm finding more and more the riders on eMTBs'. Being retired mid-week is my weekend and for that I'm grateful. Have lived in the same area for 27 years, but have never enjoyed the riding experience more. Just about every ride I'll see another one or two eMTB's mostly piloted by older riders. Last week I met a ex-moto guy who's 84! There's lots of hills around here and they became deal breakers for me prior to eMTB's. Hike-a-bike gets old fast especially when it's hot. In the past few months I've discovered more enjoyable rides while having the ability to "make it fun." Not since riding in the So CA desert on motos as a teen has two wheels been so fun. These bikes are amazing!

Mike C

Jan 23, 2020
Ramona, CA
I'm seeing a lot of them too here in San Diego County. Funny thing is when a bike approaches, my eyes automatically go to the bottom bracket area checking for a motor. After 42 years of pedal biking the eMTB brings back the joy of mountain biking I experienced when I started. And I'm not wasted after a great ride.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
When I finished my 3 1/2 hour ride today I looked over and saw a guy 50+ sitting on a Rail 7. There was about 15 bikes gathered near the exit/entrance but I shouted out to him anyways. It turns out this was his first ride on his new Rail. We exchanged greetings and many other things over the crowds of mtb’ers for several minutes. I began heading home and 40’ into my exit I was stopped again when my name was shouted out by another group. More exchanges of greetings and many questions about eMTB’s. I’m sure the analog crowd overheard us. The difference in comments between last year and this new season is striking.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
No doubt there's a trend taking place. If not for the price to play and the current economic issues eMTB's would be flying off the shelf even faster. Product development just continues to ramp up with new and better parts / bikes coming out one after another. Such an exciting sport to be part of.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Hey, Monty.
I also started off on motorcycles in the deserts of Socal. I'd still do it, but my crew faded away years ago, and frankly, it takes up a full day at the least. Riding my bike takes less planning, less work, and I can do it in a few hours.

Let's keep it to ourselves, though, the joys of riding while being retired. We don't want those young whippersnappers learning about the solitude and uncrowded trails. They might quit their jobs and further exacerbate the problems with production and supply chains. Around here, about the only folks I see midweek are soccer mom runners and old guys on cross country bikes. Up in the real wilderness, it's pretty desolate. 👍🏼 On the weekends, it's altogether different.

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
No doubt there's a trend taking place.

Hard to believe that the US of A are behind when a worldwide trend is developing.
America is normally the motor of almost every new hype.

Here in Germany eebs have been totally normal since few years.
You see them in bikeparks, on trails, in front of cafes... almost everywhere.

I reckon 50% of all bikes are eebs in Germany, if not more.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
@RustyIron Agree completely, but know it's only a matter of time. The state park (Mt Diablo) is now using trail cams to monitor trails closed to cyclist. As the numbers of riders increase things will surely change. Now I know why the trails I've recently discovered aren't talked about much locally. Those desert days were the best of times, but at least we've got an alternative now. Grew up in Woodland Hills riding mountain bikes off Mulholland, Topanga Cyn, Simi Valley etc. then later Riverside area before heading north. What's your stomping grounds?

@Jorel it is a unique development regarding eBike in general. Suspect the top brands of motors might have something to do with it along with the price of fuel. We've been spoiled with more affordable gasoline but that's also changing. Tesla cars are everywhere and growing by leaps and bounds. Cycling in the US is huge as a sport but different compared to many European and Asian cities where it's a part of daily life. I'll never forget looking at the bike racks out front of the main rail station in Amsterdam, Copenhagen and London. Have never seen so many bikes in one place in my life.

P1090209 (2020_12_25 15_12_45 UTC).jpg

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
What's your stomping grounds?

I ride mostly in Orange County, close to home: In the hills on either side of Laguna Canyon, up in the Santa Ana Mountains, sometimes in the San Gabriel Mountains.

The only time I play in the desert nowadays is when I load up the truck with guns and head out to sling some lead. Although there's one ride down in Palm Springs, Palm Canyon Epic, that I need to hit before it starts warming up.

Svenn

Dec 8, 2021
Illinois
Out and about riding local trails I'm finding more and more the riders on eMTBs'. Being retired mid-week is my weekend and for that I'm grateful. Have lived in the same area for 27 years, but have never enjoyed the riding experience more. Just about every ride I'll see another one or two eMTB's mostly piloted by older riders. Last week I met a ex-moto guy who's 84! There's lots of hills around here and they became deal breakers for me prior to eMTB's. Hike-a-bike gets old fast especially when it's hot. In the past few months I've discovered more enjoyable rides while having the ability to "make it fun." Not since riding in the So CA desert on motos as a teen has two wheels been so fun. These bikes are amazing!
Welcome! Enjoy.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I am in Quebec, Canada. 2 years ago mentioning Ebike on many facebook pages was an immediate delete or banning. Not any more. Now they are everywhere. Shops sells tons of them and any kind, fat, mountain, city, hybrid, road, etc... I do not have a car so my Ebike is fun trails, grocery shopping, etc...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles