I just fitted an adjustable stem

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
I found that with the seat in the correct position, I was putting too much weight on my wrists for my liking, so I got an adjustable stem off Amazon for £15. It fits well, seems solid and makes a LOT of difference. The gear lever cable is a bit tight on full left lock now, but I can live with that.
Amazon link

2020-08-26 11.26.44-1366.jpg

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
As a bike technician I would recommend only using that stem to find your ideal position. The next thing would be to find the same angle and length in a non-adjustable stem.
Adjustable stems are fine for city bikes and casual riding, but they can fail catastrophically when riding off road.
If you wish to keep your front teeth, go with a new stem soon.
Also your Garmin mount is on the wrong side of your stem

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
Thanks all - I'll take your advice and look for a fixed one.

The Garmin mount can't go the other side - it's not long enough and the garmin hits the end of the stem when it's rotated. It was the same with the other mount.

Alan

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Thanks all - I'll take your advice and look for a fixed one.

The Garmin mount can't go the other side - it's not long enough and the garmin hits the end of the stem when it's rotated. It was the same with the other mount.

Alan

Pleasure man! What size did you get? Something near what was comfortable on that? You can flip the Garmin 180 degrees as that is also a bit vulnerable in a crash..

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
The replacement has a 90mm stem with a 35 degree tilt. Not sure what flipping the garmin mount 180 will achieve. Can you expound on that?

Alan

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Not sure what flipping the garmin mount 180 will achieve. Can you expound on that?
Having it to the left of the stem centralises the device over the stem - it's not a show-stopper if you're happy with it over to the right, but the rule of thumb is to have it smack in the middle when you look down at it.

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
I keep saying - when it's over the centre stem, it catches when you rotate it to make it portrait mode. The mount head is too close. Maybe a genuine garmin one is longer, but this one isn't.

Alan

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles