Husqvarna.....just jizzed mesen...

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Check out these beauties, all using Shimano motor but look how easy they've made it to fit other motors.
They look killer, but I would have preferred the Bosch 4th gen motor over the E8000 motor. If the up coming E9000 motor has that internal gear box that Shimano just applied for a patent, I might change my mind.
Also these bikes won’t fit other motors, because every motor manufacturer uses different motor mounts.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
They look killer, but I would have preferred the Bosch 4th gen motor over the E8000 motor. If the up coming E9000 motor has that internal gear box that Shimano just applied for a patent, I might change my mind.
Also these bikes won’t fit other motors, because every motor manufacturer uses different motor mounts.
Do you prefer the clacking noise of the Bosch? :)

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Yeah but look how the frame ends at the motor, essentially a flat plate to which they could easily attach other motor mounts without designing a totally new frame.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Do you prefer the clacking noise of the Bosch? :)
Nope, just the overall power, better mid range support in the power-band, the smaller space it takes up, the better app and the Kiox display over the Shimano display, although the Shimano display mounts in s safer location. Also as a technician, the Bosch diagnostic tool is just a better experience. Well from what I can remember anyway, I have to troubleshoot a lot more Shimano issues than Bosch.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
No accounting for personal preference(thank goodness and vive le difference notwithstanding).
Maybe I’m in a minority, but I think that is horrible. Mismatched collection of tube profiles and styling hints.
The rear subframe reminds me of an old kona dawg or something. I find the notch at the head tube and down tube junction unattractive and that plate motor arrangement is a shit trap and just wrong for me. As for those wheels......sheeeesh.

all imo and stuff, not to be deliberately provocative in any way.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Nope, just the overall power, better mid range support in the power-band, the smaller space it takes up, the better app and the Kiox display over the Shimano display, although the Shimano display mounts in s safer location. Also as a technician, the Bosch diagnostic tool is just a better experience. Well from what I can remember anyway, I have to troubleshoot a lot more Shimano issues than Bosch.
I understand your preferences although the limited time I rode the Bosch 4 I didn't notice any overall power difference compared to the E8000. One thing I didn't like was the ratchet in the motor compared to the instant engagement of the Shimano. Weight of the motors are the same and their shape is different. As for display, again, I get your preference, I like the minimalistic design small size and protected mounting of the Shimano.
From the bikes we sold with Shimano E8000/7000 didn't have much to troubleshoot other than setting up the assist levels and running firmware updates for users who were not confident using the app or couldn't connect their phones/tablets for some reason. There were no issues like this with the Bosch because no app so the users have to bring their bikes in for everything... :)
E8000 is on the market for ~three years and Bosch 4 is for a couple of months so hard to compare the 'issues' but the clacking noise from the Bosch 4 is not too nice, I wonder if a software update will fix it as Bosch promised.
We'll have a new Orbea Wild FS for one of our employee soon and I'll have more time with Bosch 4.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think when you are used to one particular motor, the others feel weird - I have shimano motored bikes, have risen moist of the others, and recently spent a fair bit of time on the Bosch Gen 4, but whenever I get back on the Shimano it just feels more natural to me, simply because I am so used to it.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
Check Rob’s YouTube channel as I remember he showed it in the Orbea Wild FS test.
This one?
he doesn't mention it.

I seem to recall Rob riding a pre-production Gen4 bike, 3+ months ago, and mentioned a noise, which sounded like chain slap to me.

Anyway, my Gen4 is v quiet, back on subject.

They look interesting, I'm not sure you could just slap a Gen4 in there, it would need looms, controllers, maybe battery, and the ability for different makers components to interchange.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
in the eye of the beholder, init?
To me. It's like someone saw a Vitus E-sommet and an internal shimano battery and thought how can I combine the two in the ugliest package possible.

Mag wheels? Really? Yew.. WTF? Just why?
East 17 Urban snow camo inspired paint?... wretch!
As for the model names "Hard Cross", "Extreme cross" "Mountain cross" "Hard cross"... did they just use Google translate and zero imagination whatsoever?
That motor mounting? boak! But yeah, at least it's going to be quicker to fit all the replacement motors it'll need ;)
Geometry is also rubbish unless the bikes are meant for a 2014 release date ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles