• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
@Kiwi in Wales perhaps if we’re doing some Blacks we could do a bit of a sighting before to make sure folks are comfortable...

More than happy to do that Rob. There is no way I will take anyone down a trail if I feel they are uncomfortable with it. This is where communication is really important. You all need to tell me your skill set so I can make sure the route is going to be suitable for everyone. Okay?

To make you feel more comfortable,

The entire Black Raven route has 4 drops on it. 2 of them are about 2 1/2 feet and the other 2 are about 3 feet. All of the drops have a route that takes you around the drop so you do not have to do it. There are table top jumps, NO gaps jumps. All table top jumps have a route around them so you do not have to do them.

The black is NOT a black compared to a BPW black. Honestly, it is more RED than black. They graded it a black as it has a really steep 'CLIMB' near the beginning of the trail and they didnt want Dad, Mum and the children trying it out and getting stuck half way up and causing a huge domestic between Dad and Mum... not something you want to see while out biking...:eek:

There are some steep descents. However, they are not that steep that you have to get your bum right over the back wheel because you feel like you are going to go over the bars.....
They are more like.... put your dropper seat down to its lowest position, stand on your pedals in the attack position and move your weight slightly towards the REAR of the bike and feather the brakes. As I lived in Surrey and know Peaslake, think of 'Barry Knows Best' but a bit steeper in certain places.

To be honest, I am more worried about how everyone will go riding up all the steep technical climbs I have created more than the descents.

I did a 20 mile tester today and believe it is a really good mix of flowy machine made trails, slow steep climbs with flowy single track, there is a mix of big lumpy slow technical single track through the forest trees which will test out your balance skills, this starts to point down and pick up speed but not too much, then turns into a steep climb and then back on to the machine made trails with a few descents and climbs, then more single track descents not too steep, then another big climb, more single track, a bit of fire road and then a big STEEP climb to test for everyone. From there we will start heading back to the car park via loads of flowy single track, with said above table tops and I suspect if we all have a bit of juice in the tank we may be able to do a couple of the runs you really enjoyed again :sneaky: Then a trip to the local for some food and refreshments.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
No mate i meant I'd use the Monday to travel back ??. Just means i can rest for the night after the ride as it'll be a long day.

No spare battery either so think I'll be having a tinker with the assist levels.

No worries, I did a 20 mile test ride today and still had 20% left in the tank so a second battery wont be necessary.

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
More than happy to do that Rob. There is no way I will take anyone down a trail if I feel they are uncomfortable with it. This is where communication is really important. You all need to tell me your skill set so I can make sure the route is going to be suitable for everyone. Okay?

To make you feel more comfortable,

The entire Black Raven route has 4 drops on it. 2 of them are about 2 1/2 feet and the other 2 are about 3 feet. All of the drops have a route that takes you around the drop so you do not have to do it. There are table top jumps, NO gaps jumps. All table top jumps have a route around them so you do not have to do them.

The black is NOT a black compared to a BPW black. Honestly, it is more RED than black. They graded it a black as it has a really steep 'CLIMB' near the beginning of the trail and they didnt want Dad, Mum and the children trying it out and getting stuck half way up and causing a huge domestic between Dad and Mum... not something you want to see while out biking...:eek:

There are some steep descents. However, they are not that steep that you have to get your bum right over the back wheel because you feel like you are going to go over the bars.....
They are more like.... put your dropper seat down to its lowest position, stand on your pedals in the attack position and move your weight slightly towards the REAR of the bike and feather the brakes. As I lived in Surrey and know Peaslake, think of 'Barry Knows Best' but a bit steeper in certain places.

To be honest, I am more worried about how everyone will go riding up all the steep technical climbs I have created more than the descents.

I did a 20 mile tester today and believe it is a really good mix of flowy machine made trails, slow steep climbs with flowy single track, there is a mix of big lumpy slow technical single track through the forest trees which will test out your balance skills, this starts to point down and pick up speed but not too much, then turns into a steep climb and then back on to the machine made trails with a few descents and climbs, then more single track descents not too steep, then another big climb, more single track, a bit of fire road and then a big STEEP climb to test for everyone. From there we will start heading back to the car park via loads of flowy single track, with said above table tops and I suspect if we all have a bit of juice in the tank we may be able to do a couple of the runs you really enjoyed again :sneaky: Then a trip to the local for some food and refreshments.

Sounds great - thanks for the detail Kiwi. I'm not a very experienced rider but will try anything that's thrown at me, more often than not at my own peril... Happy to go with whatever the majority want to do and immensely looking forward to it.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm going to have to bow out of this I'm afraid, the long haired general is on holiday and will have plans for us. :cautious:

steviedsolve

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Wolverhampton
Sorry chaps, I'm also not going to be able to make the 9th. We've had to reschedule my daughters birthday party to that day now. :cry: I was really looking forward to Brechfa so Kiwi maybe we can meet up there some other time and you show me around? I'll be well up for meeting with you guys in Cannock Chase though when you come up. I'm not free at weekends in October but could do 10th/11th of November and can show you all the off piste stuff around there as well as the 'Donkey' as it's locally known (Follow the dog/ Monkey trails). Unfortunately I have commitments every other weekend in October so I hope you guys could make it that weekend? Have a fab ride in Brechfa fellas. Very jealous!

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Sorry chaps, I'm also not going to be able to make the 9th. We've had to reschedule my daughters birthday party to that day now. :cry: I was really looking forward to Brechfa so Kiwi maybe we can meet up there some other time and you show me around? I'll be well up for meeting with you guys in Cannock Chase though when you come up. I'll be free October 20th or 21st and can show you all the off piste stuff around there as well as the 'Donkey' as it's locally known (Follow the dog/ Monkey trails). Unfortunately I have commitments every other weekend in October so I hope you guys could make it that weekend? I hope you guys have a fab ride in Brechfa. Very jealous!
No worries dude, mate the next one :)

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I can't make it unfortunately, Goodwood that weekend

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Sorry chaps, I'm also not going to be able to make the 9th. We've had to reschedule my daughters birthday party to that day now. :cry: I was really looking forward to Brechfa so Kiwi maybe we can meet up there some other time and you show me around? I'll be well up for meeting with you guys in Cannock Chase though when you come up. I'm not free at weekends in October but could do 10th/11th of November and can show you all the off piste stuff around there as well as the 'Donkey' as it's locally known (Follow the dog/ Monkey trails). Unfortunately I have commitments every other weekend in October so I hope you guys could make it that weekend? Have a fab ride in Brechfa fellas. Very jealous!

No worries @steviedsolve
Let me know a few date options when you are available and hopefully we can sync up.

Jonowinter

Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Bournemouth
Evening all.

I am thinking of heading up to Wales on Saturday, planning to have a spin round Afan then stay at a camp site with electric hook up or a Travelodge if cheap enough. Thinking I will be in the Afan area for about 12.30. Makes sense for me to go to Afan as not been before and it is on the way to Brechfa, any similar suggestions welcome though. Looking forward to a great weekend. ?

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi all,
I did a trial run of the route we will be doing on Sunday this morning. I hope you are going to like it :eek:
All is looking good and I still had 20% left in my 460Wh battery at the end so there is scope to maybe squeeze in another run or 2 at the end. That was running Eco and Trail most of the way with a few bursts of Turbo.

How does the following sound?
We will all meet at the Byrgwm trail head for 1100 which is 5 minutes out of Brechfa.
By the time everyone finishes unloading, faffing etc, we will probably get away around 1115 to 1130?
We will be riding a number of various trails which will take us over to Abergorlech. This will take around an hour and a half.
The last red run at Abergorlech is less than 4 minutes away from the Black Lion pub where we could possibly stop for lunch?
However, I know people have come a long way to get to Wales and may want to get back so does everyone want to stop for lunch or do we soldier on and pick something up after the ride is finished? I am happy either way just let me know.
The route back is faster as there is a lot more descending and should take about an hour and 10 mins.

So stop for lunch mid ride, finish back at Byrgwm car park at around 1600

Don’t stop for lunch mid ride, finish back at Byrgwm car park at around 1500

Also is the list below correct?

Confirmed:
@Rob Hancill
@Kiwi in Wales
@Tunny
@Dawnrazor
@JetSetDemo
@Stumpy
@Jonowinter
@R80

Last edited:

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Hi all,
I did a trial run of the route we will be doing on Sunday this morning. I hope you are going to like it :eek:
All is looking good and I still had 20% left in my 460Wh battery at the end so there is scope to maybe squeeze in another run or 2 at the end. That was running Eco and Trail most of the way with a few bursts of Turbo.

How does the following sound?
We will all meet at the Byrgwm trail head for 1100 which is 5 minutes out of Brechfa.
By the time everyone finishes unloading, faffing etc, we will probably get away around 1115 to 1130?
We will be riding a number of various trails which will take us over to Abergorlech. This will take around an hour and a half.
The last red run at Abergorlech is less than 4 minutes away from the Black Lion pub where we could possibly stop for lunch?
However, I know people have come a long way to get to Wales and may want to get back so does everyone want to stop for lunch or do we soldier on and pick something up after the ride is finished? I am happy either way just let me know.
The route back is faster as there is a lot more descending and should take about an hour and 10 mins.

So stop for lunch mid ride, finish back at Byrgwm car park at around 1600

Don’t stop for lunch mid ride, finish back at Byrgwm car park at around 1500

Also is the list below correct?

Confirmed:
@Rob Hancill
@Kiwi in Wales
@Tunny
@Dawnrazor
@JetSetDemo
@Stumpy
@Jonowinter
@R80
@Stumpy

Thanks for the detail and preparation Kiwi. I’m happy to go with the majority and do whatever we decide.

PS: you’ve listed me twice ?

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Maybe a snack stop? 20 mins for a quick drink / energy bar or whatever?

Just thinking about all the guys travelling big distances with little or no food then turning up for a big ride and missing lunch. We will be climbing over a 1000m on this ride so dont want anyones blood sugar dropping too much.

There are no shops in Abergorlech just the pub....
I can arrange with the pub to have cut sandwiches and soft drinks at the ready so we can just arrive, eat, drink and leave within 20-30 mins.
How does that sound?
Like I said, the pub it less than 4 minutes from the trail we will be rejoining.
Dont worry about cost as I am buying the sandwiches and soft drinks for the entire group. That includes late additions but any late comers need to tell me so I can order additional.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Here is the proposed route with Byrgwm and Abergolech marked on the map.

I completed the ride in just over 2 hours yesterday but I know the trails.

As a group who havent ridden here before I think we could easily add 30 mins to 3/4 of an hour.

Capture 001.PNG

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Don't forget to allow for all the chatting, those boys can gab for England!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles