Is it possible to buy a sub £5k FS EMTB in the UK at the moment.

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
I stupidly thought that if I waited til late 2020 I would be able to order one of the various 2021 models that have been announced and get a delivery sometime in the not too distant future. Well I've tried all the bike shops local and even not so local and none seem to have any stock and I'm getting quoted delivery timescales that are way into the future and none are certain. In the most extreme case for a Haibike the date was August 2021.
I have the money and am ready to go but it seems there's nothing to buy. Are other people finding the same problem?
I've just about given up and I think there is no hope of getting anything now.

Trip Hazard

Oct 23, 2020
Tyne and Wear
From my experience when looking for a Cube, bike shops seem to be getting one or two bikes in and they seem to go as quick as they came in. I wanted an e-bike from a lbs and having looked one day and there being none, two showed up in stock locally the very next day.

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
My nearest Cube dealer has said they're not expecting any until January at the earliest and because they don't know what they might get can't take orders.

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
I have a Trek order in with my LBS. I had a late November delivery date, but not for the optimal model - so I changed to the one I want and am now stuck without any idea of where I am. They're not getting on any better with other manufacturers. The dealer usually has a lot of kiddies bikes in for Christmas, but "Christmas is cancelled" this year.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Another rider Buy a used one, according to a forum member very recently (who buys and sells used bikes for a living) there has been a large increase in the number of emtbs appearing in for sale columns. Probably all those people that were furloughed, bought one and are sadly now redundant, needing the money. Or maybe they just tried it and didn't like it (weird, right?)

Last edited:

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
There seem to be very few used bikes on the market - certainly around here. I've found a couple that looked good but they are always seem to be the wrong size (too large).

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
My LBS has some Trek, Specilized and Whytes in stock, though very limited

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
I got mine while browsing one Sunday night. Had been out on my "normal bike" for the first times in months that day and after said ride I said, right, that's it, I'm getting an ebike.

That Sunday night I was browsing looking for a Cube when I found Pauls Cycles had an AT in my size. Way more than I wanted to spend and way more bike than I'll ever need, so decided to call early the next morning.

before that call I dropped in to my lbs cube dealer and asked him waiting time (weeks before hand he said he'd call me, he hadn't) he said the reason he hadn't called was there was no stock for at least three months and told me, if I can get the one online, buy it.

I called the shop, told them I wanted it but needed to call back later that day due to having to be away from the phone for a few hours, told them I definitely buying it, they told me they'd hold it, they only got in in on the Saturday and that they would hold it for just for that day otherwise it would be sold easily within 24 hours, I called back later and bought it, long story I know but an insight how things are with bikes the now.

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
I got mine while browsing one Sunday night. Had been out on my "normal bike" for the first times in months that day and after said ride I said, right, that's it, I'm getting an ebike.

That Sunday night I was browsing looking for a Cube when I found Pauls Cycles had an AT in my size. Way more than I wanted to spend and way more bike than I'll ever need, so decided to call early the next morning.

before that call I dropped in to my lbs cube dealer and asked him waiting time (weeks before hand he said he'd call me, he hadn't) he said the reason he hadn't called was there was no stock for at least three months and told me, if I can get the one online, buy it.

I called the shop, told them I wanted it but needed to call back later that day due to having to be away from the phone for a few hours, told them I definitely buying it, they told me they'd hold it, they only got in in on the Saturday and that they would hold it for just for that day otherwise it would be sold easily within 24 hours, I called back later and bought it, long story I know but an insight how things are with bikes the now.
Pretty much confirms my suspicion that there's nothing to be had.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There are bikes for sale in shops, but you may have to travel to get them. My LBS, Two Wheels in Stourbridge have Rails, Whytes, Scotts, Santa Cruz, GT and Giants in stock.

Maxijazz

Oct 12, 2020
Alcester
I got my Turbo Levo last week from Tredz. They had 3 XL's in stock when I called. 3days later all delivered and riding.
They were really good to deal with. Not exactly local to me but spot on for service.

There are some out there but if you see the one you want buy it, because it won't be there when you've had a cuppa and a think!

Jimmer15

Oct 28, 2020
Dorset
I had a Cube on order for months with a delivery date of November (online shop promised I'd be getting one on time as they had them on order and in my size), got an email update to say I won't be getting one till next year....possibly.....So I cancelled my order and kind of resigned myself to not having one this year. Did a bit of trawling of the internet and stumbled on a Haibkike 3.5 in my size, in stock and ordered it late one night and it arrived 2 days later. Ended up blowing my budget and spending a lot more than I wanted to but have to say I'm really glad it all happened that way as the Haibike is amazing. I was very lucky as it was the last one they had in a small frame size!!

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
My local shop have some in stock (depending on size)

Bridgwater isn't such a huge distance from dorset
I've managed to buy something in the end. Quite a few calls to some of the bigger dealers offering delivery options turned up a few options but also revealed that often when something appeared on a website it wasn't actually available at the moment and might be many months away. I finally found a Focus Jam2 6.7 in Ringwood (Forge Cycleworks) although it's a 2020 not a 2021 bike. I really wanted to try the bike for size before committing that sort of money. The bike is brilliant. I would probably have gone for the more expensive 6.8 if that had been an option so I've ended up spending far less than I was expecting to. The staff at Forge Cycleworks were absolutely brilliant.

Riotsloth

Sep 16, 2018
Haywards Heath
I managed to order a large Cube stereo hybrid pro 120 from Germany last month, but my partners XS framed one has a build date in the factory of March...

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Best to put an order in with your local
bike shop and wait until they get you one.

Then at least you are assured a bike, l just got mine and its definitely worth the wait!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles