Is there a better e-bike for under £5k than the vitus e-sommet vrs?

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Been trying to compare bikes, is there anything I'm missing? It seems to tick a lot of boxes.

The only issue is not being able to try before you buy.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Great shout! Really liking the look of the new stereo 160 with the 750 battery.
Glad I posted here now😁👍🏻

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Is this your 1st ebike? Do you ride with lots of other ebike riders or guys on normal bikes? Are you quite fit? The Rise is a very good ebike it’s my second, had an e-Sommet before that, the E-Sommet is a cracking bike & the new ones have modern geometry unlike the cubes that are still very behind the times with geometry, but if your not worried about shorter seat tubes & longer reach etc then the cubes a good choice, I chose the e-Sommet based on the excellent handling of the bike, I had the older external battery one., which distributed weight well. Also was excellent value for money

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Is this your 1st ebike? Do you ride with lots of other ebike riders or guys on normal bikes? Are you quite fit? The Rise is a very good ebike it’s my second, had an e-Sommet before that, the E-Sommet is a cracking bike & the new ones have modern geometry unlike the cubes that are still very behind the times with geometry, but if your not worried about shorter seat tubes & longer reach etc then the cubes a good choice, I chose the e-Sommet based on the excellent handling of the bike, I had the older external battery one., which distributed weight well. Also was excellent value for money

Yep, it'll be my first e-bike....I've still not even tried one yet 👀

The guys who got me into biking go out around 3 times a week, are miles ahead of me in fitness so I end up not riding with them.
I see these ride outs that are 20+ miles over the peaks, snowdonia etc and it looks epic but I'm not up to it and won't get to ride often enough to build stamina for it.
I've turned into an uplift queen 😄 went stiniog 6 times last year and hit bike park wales which i deffo want to get a few days at this year. I'll keep my existing bike for that, i'm not fussed about falling off it and getting scratches.

So I'm after one that i can hammer gisburn, delga as well as local natural routes.
Sounds like I really need to get some idea though of geometry of these bikes. There is a local-ish bike shop that has the cube supposedly coming in stock june/july.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Can't go wrong with the vitus brand.
I've had 3 from chainreaction/ wiggle and aftercare been better than most of my mates at lbs.
I have a 2018 e sommet and 2021 one and they're cracking bikes

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Can't go wrong with the vitus brand.
I've had 3 from chainreaction/ wiggle and aftercare been better than most of my mates at lbs.
I have a 2018 e sommet and 2021 one and they're cracking bikes

The problem is not being able to try before you buy. :(

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I didn't, the first one I bought was a rapide 20r
I spoke to them and they said try for size, so long as it hasn't been rode outside they'll pick up for £15, since then I've every confidence in them.
Obviously you've narrowed it down to a few bikes and the Vitus is tops bar the online bit.
Forget about that, if the motor pigs, take to any shimano cntr and they'll warranty it & crc will re- Imurse labour cost.
Awt else contact crc, they'll ask for vids/ pics etc and sort y oot.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Every bike I have ever bought have never had a test ride, usually always been frames & built up but can’t with ebikes. I had owned a Vitus Sommet in past so when I bought the e-Sommet I had some idea how it would ride, I know what size I need. A Rise sounds perfect for Gisburn & Degla plus your riding with guys on normal bikes not ebikes so they won’t get so annoyed if your not on a full fat ebike zooming off ahead. On the Rise you can tune power right down to match their pace

Last edited:

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I'm stuck now between the Vitus e-sommet vrs and the Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC SL 750....

I think the vrs has the better spec? Although I'm only familiar with sram stuff not Shimano.

Screenshot_20220328-223417_Firefox~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220328-223458_Firefox.jpg

Choppersquad

Nov 10, 2021
Leatherhead
I guess it might boil down to whether you want the Shimano motor with the slightly smaller battery or the Bosch with the 750? You'll probably find lots of different opinions of each one. The only thing that might put me off the Vitus would be how you'd deal with any warranty issues with a big online company rather than a local shop.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I guess it might boil down to whether you want the Shimano motor with the slightly smaller battery or the Bosch with the 750? You'll probably find lots of different opinions of each one. The only thing that might put me off the Vitus would be how you'd deal with any warranty issues with a big online company rather than a local shop.
As I've said many times on here, the warranty with vitus / crc has been better than my mates lbs service.
Any motor issues are dealt with local shimano service centre, every thing else via crc
No issues, no bike sent back, just replaced parts.
From my first bike I've had warranty on
Seatpost
Shifter
Shock Bush
I did get a new Frame Inc bearings, shock headset, stem.....bike had to go back for this tho.
New bike
Headset
Battery door.
Speak to them via chat if you're worried

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
On the Rise you can tune power right down to match their pace
You can do this on any Shimano, Specialized/Brose, Giant/Yamaha, plus others.

I can second the Vitus warranty. Current worldwide issues not withstanding, it's just a case of a brief email/chat exchange and a few photos. No quibling, no hassle, just sorted. So far, this has proven easier than heading to my LBS, though that's no reflection on service from my LBS - it's only because I don't actually have to travel to the LBS and can warranty my Vitus from the comfort of my own home!

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Nice wee vid on the Vitus.

Oh sweet not seen that vid, doesn't seem to be many videos around on the e-sommet. I've subbed to his channel.

The wheelset seems better on the Vitus than the cube, I prefer the colour as well and a lot of positive comments here for it. Thanks for the replies it's definitely swaying me!
Just need to see if they'll let me top up a cycle to work voucher👀

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
You may be but, given that you didn't explain it, the OP may not be aware. My reply was for him/her.
Did you read my post? I was talking about the Rise so was no requirement to talk about turning down the power on every make & model of bike!!

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Did you read my post? I was talking about the Rise so was no requirement to talk about turning down the power on every make & model of bike!!
No, I just type blindly and hope to hit something...

Your post, plus the one before it, mention the E-Sommet, though with no mention of the modes being at all adjustable. So, given that you mentioned this as a feature of the Rise, I thought I would helpfully point out, for the OP, that it's a feature of most bikes. If you don't like that, be more comprehensive in what you post. It was nothing aimed at you.

Tekmotiv

Tekmotiv.co.uk
Subscriber
Dec 28, 2021
Cambridge UK
Hi, biased we may be but take a look at our range of premium Italian Fantic and Thok bikes, several around the 5k mark. And importantly, we have physical stock today. So you can test ride and compare if you wish. Great spec, geometry and strong motors. And we look after you.

James

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Fanatic is a very poorly designed bike, and I would avoid., seat tube is way too short due to shock design meaning the large runs a 125 m dropper which is a joke in todays market, and the top tube design means if you slam the stem your controls hit it. In todays market it just has too many fails to be taken seriously.

Thoks are great and well worth a look.

For the OP I would say your main choice between the cube and the Vitus is battery range - in the real world the Bosch 750 has probably about 30% more rannge than the Shimano. The Shimano batteries give noticeably less range compared to their Bosch equivalents, and this is only multiplied by the 750 battery

Tekmotiv

Tekmotiv.co.uk
Subscriber
Dec 28, 2021
Cambridge UK
R 120, you are entitled to your opinion but stating that Fantic bikes are a joke is taking a bit far in my view. There's nothing wrong with any of their bikes, they are high quality efficient and reliable designs which look great , ride beautifully and are very well specified. We have had no problems with seat posts or issues with stems. We would be pleased to show you any of the current range to try. Each type of bike in the range has slightly different geometry and spec of course, and there are large differences between the Carbon and Alloy models and between the Mullet builds and 29 inch versions.

Last edited:

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Just need to see if they'll let me top up a cycle to work voucher👀

Just FYI, a lot of employers will religiously stick to whatever their current policy is. For me, that was £3k which wasn't going to get me the bike I wanted and my employer was having none of it when I said I would pay the extra on top for the bike I wanted. So for the purposes of the LBS/employer paperwork I was 'sold' a £3k hardtail but the LBS let me pay the extra £1500 and provided me (only) a receipt for the correct £4.5k bike I rode away on.

The LBS said they 'do this quite a lot' :LOL:

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Just FYI, a lot of employers will religiously stick to whatever their current policy is. For me, that was £3k which wasn't going to get me the bike I wanted and my employer was having none of it when I said I would pay the extra on top for the bike I wanted. So for the purposes of the LBS/employer paperwork I was 'sold' a £3k hardtail but the LBS let me pay the extra £1500 and provided me (only) a receipt for the correct £4.5k bike I rode away on.

The LBS said they 'do this quite a lot' :LOL:

That's exactly what's happened, I even emailed some clown in HR and they were shocked anyone would spend £3k on a bike let alone more :rolleyes:

I messaged CRC on twitter but they won't do the top up :(
but the LBS that has the cube will. I'm more tempted by the vitus but it means it'll actually cost me £450 more... dilemma deepens!

Is it possible for a LBS to order the vitus or are they excusive to CRC? Might have to ask one or two tomorrow.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles