Is there a better e-bike for under £5k than the vitus e-sommet vrs?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
That's exactly what's happened, I even emailed some clown in HR and they were shocked anyone would spend £3k on a bike let alone more :rolleyes:

I messaged CRC on twitter but they won't do the top up :(
but the LBS that has the cube will. I'm more tempted by the vitus but it means it'll actually cost me £450 more... dilemma deepens!

Is it possible for a LBS to order the vitus or are they excusive to CRC? Might have to ask one or two tomorrow.

£450 will be peanuts once you have the bike because the amount of maintenance and cost of parts of emtb’s is huge! I’d say get the bike you want and not the bike you can afford as you’ll only regret it later

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
R 120, you are entitled to your opinion but stating that Fantic bikes are a joke is taking a bit far in my view. There's nothing wrong with any of their bikes, they are high quality efficient and reliable designs which look great , ride beautifully and are very well specified. We have had no problems with seat posts or issues with stems. We would be pleased to show you any of the current range to try. Each type of bike in the range has slightly different geometry and spec of course, and there are large differences between the Carbon and Alloy models and between the Mullet builds and 29 inch versions.
In todays market place they are well off the pace, that’s just the reality - they haven’t updated their basic frame design in 4 years and it has inherent flaws and compromises that means there are lots of better bikes out there.

They are not a “bad bike“, but they aren’t competitive in todays market. With so many good bikes on offer why would you buy some thing where the frame design limits the adjustability and options of the seat post and bar positioning?

I ridden Fantics a few times, at 6ft I would ride a size large but would need at least a 180mm dropper to get it to fit properly, but you can only fit a 125mm due to the frame design. Ridiculous.

I know you are in the business of trying to sell them but the reality is they are just too many compromises to consider one, especially when you look at what else is available.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
That's exactly what's happened, I even emailed some clown in HR and they were shocked anyone would spend £3k on a bike let alone more :rolleyes:

Yeah thats the problem but tbf I do understand the employers stance in a way. It's supposed to assist people in funding a half decent bike with which they can ride to work, not an enduro steed thats intended to be hurled down the Alps.

I messaged CRC on twitter but they won't do the top up :(

Yeah not surprised. The LBS I used clearly knew that the solution was a little...you know. As soon as things have a written record it could get messy. All my discussion with them was verbally in person.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Yeah thats the problem but tbf I do understand the employers stance in a way. It's supposed to assist people in funding a half decent bike with which they can ride to work, not an enduro steed thats intended to be hurled down the Alps.

Yeah not surprised. The LBS I used clearly knew that the solution was a little...you know. As soon as things have a written record it could get messy. All my discussion with them was verbally in person.

Shouldn't be anything to do with the employer though, why should they care what you're riding to work :D

I tried ringing the belfast store but there was no answer, it would be worth catching a flight over and doing it in person if they'd accept it, lol.

Made the mistake of looking on the facebook group and makes great reading everyone posting up their issues with the bike :(

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Shouldn't be anything to do with the employer though, why should they care what you're riding
Because they pay the invoice for the bike upfront.

which is then deducted from your salary at source over the agreed period.

Get a load of employees signing up for £10k e bikes to avoid tax can take a bit of a dent in cash flow for small businesses.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Made the mistake of looking on the facebook group and makes great reading everyone posting up their issues with the bike :(
Headset not lasting long and battery door are the main issues with the vitus, other than that motors?
Go on any forum and there's plenty of posts complaining about this and that, half the time it's an easy fix.
Whatever bike you end up with will be fantastic, if you go for the vitus I'd spunk another £200 and get the top model.
💈

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Headset not lasting long and battery door are the main issues with the vitus, other than that motors?
Go on any forum and there's plenty of posts complaining about this and that, half the time it's an easy fix.
Whatever bike you end up with will be fantastic, if you go for the vitus I'd spunk another £200 and get the top model.
💈

The vrx is £800 more (£5500) and not in stock.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Fairly sure Vitus is a CRC/Wiggle exclusive brand.
Yes Vitus is Wiggle/CRC brand along with sister company Nukeproof, Wiggle is main distributor then Hotlines is main Distributor to dealers etc, all Hotlines brands are sold through Wiggle/CRC, there is a Pinkbike article about Vitus/Nukeproof

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
"Shimano EP8 Motor "

No-go for me.
Our friend has it, makes noise like a chainsaw, even on flat, riding eco.

RIngrey

Jan 16, 2021
England
You can’t go wrong with Commencal. Direct sales and always great spec for the money. Proven brand in competition and they know how to build bikes.

TG1971

Nov 14, 2020
Yorkshire
Me and my wife had vitus e-escarpe with e-8000 motors both bought in June 2020 from CRC my bike lasted 9 months battery was at 80% after 80 cycles and motor bricked it’s self I got a full refund as couldn’t replace parts, my wife’s lasted 18 months when motor went again sent bike back and CRC refunded in full, free bike for 18 months is not bad but me and the wife would never get a shimano emtb again range is crap compared to bikes we have now.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
In the last 3 years i read so many problems about the Shimano even free i would stay away.
Look at Giant if you like reliable.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles