Is it ok to hose wash an Ebike?.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
For what it's worth - 2 years now of washing my ebike, with the battery in, without the display covered, occasionally with the charge port uncovered because I haven't noticed the flap has lifted up.

Always with a jet wash - most of the time with my battery powered worx jet washer which isn't very strong - occasionally at the end of a ride with a supermarket jet wash which could take the paint off.

Never had an issue, not even replaced the frame bearings yet.

I think as long as some common sense is applied and you don't point blank jet blast a bearing or the motor that you're fine. Hose wash is absolutely fine. I've had worse than that hitting water splashes on a ride :D

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I'll keep saying this until I die of boredom. Wash away all you like, if you want to keep your bike alive, keep water away from the cranks. That's where ebikes go to die.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Draw an imaginary line from the brake bleed ports at the handlebars to the tension pulley… the parts in between will last longer and work better if never hose or jet washed 😁
The moving parts that work better when clean, are all protected with”dust” covers and you cannot see them, the only exception being chain, sprockets an ring.
Not forcing anything through the seals is best. Any part that is sealed, like bearings, stanchions, hoses, electrical.. demand a service to be cleaned and lubed.
In the end, everyone may hose or jetwash theyr bikes as much as they need to feel better about the kind of abuse the bike has been put through.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Our mud doesn't wipe off when dry, perhaps your Canadian mud is different? ;)
lol well if your terrain is more clay based then that would be a different story. Its mostly ''loamy dirt' and hard pack around here. I don't really ride to much in the rain anymore though.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
You can`t wipe this shiiiiit 😀
IMG_7246.jpeg

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
The tyres are the hardest part of the bike to clean. Takes twice as long as the rest of it put together. Definetely use highest pressure you can on them

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
just let the mud dry, then wipe it off after.
To bad they didn‘t know:

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
To bad they didn‘t know:
Lol I think I'd just hang up my bike for the season if I had to ride in that 😅

This was from last 'muddy' ride lol. Like even if riding in the rain the mud just washes off. That's usually how I cleaned my enduro bike, just rode in some rain on the trails.

There's a couple places though that have the clay based mud so I just ride there when it's dry.

20230930_183126~2.jpg 20231001_131713.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles