Internal Power Cable Failure, Levo 2019

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Yes it was the same shop I purchased it from and to be fair they are normally good. I just called them to pick up the bike and they said it was covered under warranty, so thats good news. It sounds like it was replaced with the version 2 cable. Its possible the version 3 may not be available in New Zealand yet. I'll check to make sure it's been routed correctly and inspect it occasionally just to make sure it's not going the same way as the previous cable.
Has anyone here upgraded to the 4 screw motor cover and if so was it an expensive upgrade?
Good to hear and as expected really.
I bought my 2019 Levo Expert back in Oct 2018 power cable failed in the first few weeks. Popped to Chris @ Berks Cycles and he replaced it. This was a long time ago now and was probably replaced with the same series 1 cable. I’ve not had any issue since then though and I haven’t done any software updates since I bought the bike. A bit worrying sometimes though as that cable I expect will fail again. Maybe I should just get it all updated with latest cables etc.
The old saying “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” springs to mind though ?

Paceman

Jul 8, 2019
Brighton
Has anyone here upgraded to the 4 screw motor cover and if so was it an expensive upgrade?

I ordered this from Spesh UK through my LBS at the same time as the new power cable, both were supplied under warranty and fitted by my LBS.

2019 Levo

Gabypb

Nov 8, 2019
Ecuador
Have just read through this thread and can see there are a few similar (but not identical) issues going on. Apologies to those of you that have had problems - we'll take some time to investigate with engineering and speak to a couple of key retail partners before coming back, so please allow a few days for that.

I can clear up some of the questions/comments however: -

1) Yes - the battery-to-motor cable is intentionally quite long, to allow for enough play on the Rosenberger (battery charging) end. (If it was exactly the right length, pulling the charging end of this cable would put direct pressure on the motor connection - which we don't want)
2) Yes - the cable is curved/bent around in a tight profile close to the motor. The bend radius however is absolutely fine. We've had cables back to inspect (including Rob Hancill's ;)) and we have tested a number of them - none (including Rob's) had any damaged cores, i.e. continuity was good on all pins.:unsure:
3) Yes - there was a minor running change requested to this cable by our design team (before any field issues were reported) to shorten the amount of thick rubber sheath on the bend itself, ensuring a more flexible curve with less pressure on the rubber boot at the motor connection. Largely cosmetic.

So - what do we believe is going on in the cases above? Hard to diagnose over a forum, however there are a couple of key retailers listed on this forum which we'll reach out to. It's probable that a short-circuit or break in connectivity IS involved - however cable inspections have shown no evidence of this between the electrical terminations on the cable itself. Much more likely are one or all of these scenarios: -

1) Water/grit in the battery charge connector. Usually happens when washing the bike with the cable disconnected (please don't!) - but if grit/dirt HAS got in to this area it may compromise the rubber seals or stop the connector fitting tightly. Solution is to dry the area and blow out any gunk with compressed air.
2) Water/grit in the Rosenberger connector. This has two possible effects that are quite different a) water causes a short between some of the 4 small pins - which are very sensitive and typically put the battery into protect mode (The four LEDs on the battery will flash in alternating pairs to indicate a short). It will get you home, but once you turn the bike off it won't turn on again until the short is resolved. b) grit in these sprung pins will prevent a good connection with the battery pins - most sensitive are the data pins. Visually inspect these and really gently depress the four sprung pins one at a time with a small flat-bladed screwdriver, clean with compressed air if they seem stuck (a small amount of contact cleaner won't hurt if in doubt).
3) Metal in this plug or socket is unhelpful - especially if it is magnetic it will stick to the socket and prevent the plug from fitting tightly. Check carefully as compressed air may not always remove metal. Small shards of metal are often on workshop floors - so don't rule this out.

Will dig further and come back once we can shed more light.

Hello @SpecializedRiderCare, tonight my Specialized Turbo Levo Comp 2019 stopped turning on, it doesn't make the beep sound, just faintly blinks once the red led on the TCU, and then nothing. I notice that the four LEDs on the battery flash as you mention on your post: "2) Water/grit in the Rosenberger connector. This has two possible effects that are quite different a) water causes a short between some of the 4 small pins - which are very sensitive and typically put the battery into protect mode (The four LEDs on the battery will flash in alternating pairs to indicate a short). It will get you home, but once you turn the bike off it won't turn on again until the short is resolved."

I have two exact Turbo Levo Comp 2019, so I was able to exchange batteries and TCU and nothing changed. In case that there was a short in the Rosenberger connector, what is the solution? I live in Ecuador, and I bought the bike in Miami, Florida.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Gabriela

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
I have two exact Turbo Levo Comp 2019, so I was able to exchange batteries and TCU and nothing changed. In case that there was a short in the Rosenberger connector, what is the solution? I live in Ecuador, and I bought the bike in Miami, Florida.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Gabriela

Hi @Gabypb - really sorry to hear this. It does sound as though this cable could be your issue - but you'll need to find a retailer local to you to check the bike over. I'll send you a PM and let's see if we can find a retailer to help you out.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Agree with that. Swop the motor to battery cable and assuming that fixes your problem you could even see if you can do a repair on the cable whilst you wait for a new one. The usual failure on that older version of the cable is at the motor connection end which can crack and then allow water ingress.

Gabypb

Nov 8, 2019
Ecuador
Hi @Gabypb - really sorry to hear this. It does sound as though this cable could be your issue - but you'll need to find a retailer local to you to check the bike over. I'll send you a PM and let's see if we can find a retailer to help you out.
Hello again,
These are today’s news. I changed the power cable and my Levo did turn on. Then I tried my Levo’s original power cable on the other Levo, and it worked as well, even though it hadn’t worked 15 minutes before on my Levo, today before doing the switch. Mission control app shows no alert on the motor or battery. Take a look at the power cable and the motor area, everything looks fine to me. ?

5344832F-D5BB-49DA-A13F-8FA351C95B9E.jpeg

CB5F5891-6D7B-4B85-8683-03FF9039DAE7.jpeg

18485598-A3D5-4A2D-9CC5-659DE4443122.jpeg

9ED2F058-DFA1-4F9D-B9E9-10C1A01ED5C1.jpeg

348ECFE7-0104-4F97-B4B3-6C0188E6EFE2.jpeg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Sure, I’m going to try that today, last night it got too late, and I didn’t know what else to do.
If you find the cap at the motor end has cracked AND you have reason to believe there has been water ingress.....most probably after washing the bike....put it somewhere warm to dry out. Since each wire inside the cable has its own insulation any short will be where that insulation is stripped off to terminate in the cap....or within the cap. You may have to cut back the cap to effect a temp repair.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Sorry...your last post arrived whilst I was replying.
Take a look at the point where the cable enters the motor end plug. The cable sheath should be glued into the cap providing a waterproof seal. My bet is that is no longer the case. So its an easy temporary fix to wrap that entry point preferably with something like amalgamating tape.
That said your battery connection point and cable plug show signs of dirt ingress and because that connection is magnetic rather than male/female pin, it takes very little to create a short. I suggest you clean both with contact cleaner and when reassembling smear some lithium grease around the rubber "o" ring of the cable connection and the chamfered edge behind it.

Gabypb

Nov 8, 2019
Ecuador
Sorry...your last post arrived whilst I was replying.
Take a look at the point where the cable enters the motor end plug. The cable sheath should be glued into the cap providing a waterproof seal. My bet is that is no longer the case. So its an easy temporary fix to wrap that entry point preferably with something like amalgamating tape.
That said your battery connection point and cable plug show signs of dirt ingress and because that connection is magnetic rather than male/female pin, it takes very little to create a short. I suggest you clean both with contact cleaner and when reassembling smear some lithium grease around the rubber "o" ring of the cable connection and the chamfered edge behind it.
Thanks so much for your advice, Mike, I’ll do that. ???

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
These are today’s news. I changed the power cable and my Levo did turn on. Then I tried my Levo’s original power cable on the other Levo, and it worked as well, even though it hadn’t worked 15 minutes before on my Levo
I followed this thread very very carefully, because I have issues too related (probably) to the motor cable. But when I read this sentence it looks illogic to me: we all suppose there is a water / humidity issue, someway caused by the cracking of the end pipe which then is exposed. But if you change the cable and everything is ok, and then you change it again with original, and it works, how you explained that?
It's the same happened to me some time ago, I swapped two times the cable with another one, and it worked. Looks like to me there is a sort of SC error which remains in memory somehow, and until it's not resolved (for example using another cable? but how the system knows it's another cable? Or after is passed a large amount of time?) the bike will not switch on. How you explain this behavior?

Gabypb

Nov 8, 2019
Ecuador
I followed this thread very very carefully, because I have issues too related (probably) to the motor cable. But when I read this sentence it looks illogic to me: we all suppose there is a water / humidity issue, someway caused by the cracking of the end pipe which then is exposed. But if you change the cable and everything is ok, and then you change it again with original, and it works, how you explained that?
It's the same happened to me some time ago, I swapped two times the cable with another one, and it worked. Looks like to me there is a sort of SC error which remains in memory somehow, and until it's not resolved (for example using another cable? but how the system knows it's another cable? Or after is passed a large amount of time?) the bike will not switch on. How you explain this behavior?
I believe the explanation is that whatever was causing the problem because it had gotten wet dried out.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The cracking of the connector at the motor end destroys the sealing of the cable just at point where the wires terminate. Typically that causes a short circuit either before the wires enter the plug or within the plug...or both. If (on a damaged cable) you cut the cap off, you can see that the 2 main power wires are stripped of insulation in order to terminate within the cap. If the cap is cracked and water gets in it is easy to see how a short across the 2 wires can be created or a short between one of the wires and the outer casing of the cable which in turn is in contact with the plastic motor cover etc. Just by removing/disturbing the cable you can remove the short...but only temporarily. The reason being that the cable moves and it that movement that causes the end cap to crack. The updated cable is more flexible at the motor cap end as well as being better sealed in order to address that problem. If you still have the old cable it is a simple job to copy the way in which the new cable has been modified....then you have a spare if you or , more likely, a mate that still has the old cable has a problem.

Tesph

Nov 9, 2020
Belgium, Europe
Hello Everybody,

Sorry to read all your cables issues on such expansive bikes :(:(

I'm struggling with similar issues on my Fantic - Brose S powered - bike.

The battery-to-drive cable has been replaced 3 times under warranty. But, still water ingress into the connector (drive side), locking the battery into protection mode (blinking display).

So, now, I plan to make the cable by myself.

But, I still need to identify the exact plug at motor side - see picture below...

Does anybody here knows exactly of what brand/model this plug is ?

Thank you in advance,

Tesph

Connector to identify.jpg

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Not sure you need to get a new cable...just seal the cable you have. The fundamental problem with the Levo version of the cable is that the individual wires are stripped just after they enter the cap in order to connect to the pins of the cap connector and there is nothing inside the cap to waterproof those connections. Waterproofing is solely dependent on the sheath covering the wires having a .....in my opinion...inadequate seal by being glued into the end of the cap. I do not know why the entire cap could not be wax filled but failing that the point at which the wires enter the cap must be better sealed. That applies to both ends of the cable.

Tesph

Nov 9, 2020
Belgium, Europe
Hi Mike,

Actually I don't have a cable from Specialized but from Fantic. And it's so poorly made, that nothing can improve it.

That's why I'm looking for the connector itself, to remake that end of the cable properly.

Tesph

Nov 9, 2020
Belgium, Europe
This look very close to what I’m looking for :)
My only concern is that they specify “ONLY EXTERNAL BATTERIES and MODEL T motor”, but I have a Brose S motor.
Additionally, I see there are more pins on the battery connector, than I have on my cable.
Anyway, I’m going to ask the vendor if it’s compatible.
Thank You, Mikerb !

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
Three times now on my 1.5 year old bike I have had problems after contact with water. Bike wont start, just flashes shortly on the display. I have taken out the cable and dried it inside on a dry and warm place. Cable works again after a night. But not the latest time so I brought the bike to the dealer. According to them Specialized claims I somehow have broken the cable so it is not a warranty case.
Very interesting judegement after reading this thread.

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
That doesn't sound right about it not being a warranty case. Specialized have been very good with warranty on these cables in my experience, but then I do use my LBS (Chris @ Berkshire Cycles in Crowthorne) whose service is second to none on these bikes. I would speak to Specialized themselves. Or ask another main dealer. It should be covered I believe.

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
So, now after complaining I will get the cable under warranty but I have to pay for the work. Really strange. Here in the European Union warranty is usually across the whole eu. You can buy a car in germany and get warranty repairs in Sweden totally for free.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Just remove the old cable and take it to the LBS when the new one arrives and swop.....fit it yourself.

boytie

Jul 7, 2019
New Zealand
The first post is so like what has happened to me today. Had good ride yesterday. Charged backup for ride today and get nothing when try to start bike. Took a look at wiring some time back and scratched my head thinking this was a failure waiting to happen. When I put charger back on battery I get third green light flashing. May be battery, but my money’s on the wiring has failed. Off to iRide Wellington, NZ where I brought my 2019 expert at mere $13.5k to have them confirm and fix under warranty?

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
I talked to Specialized in Sweden who told me dealers get payed for warranty work and that they would contact my dealer. After over a month the replaced both the tcu cable and the engine-battery cable and the bike now works fine. Dealer just said its on us so I guess they got info from Specialized.

IKB

Feb 14, 2021
Barnard Castle
Hi Mike,

Actually I don't have a cable from Specialized but from Fantic. And it's so poorly made, that nothing can improve it.

That's why I'm looking for the connector itself, to remake that end of the cable properly.
Hi Tesph, any luck with making a new cable? My Fantic has just died after 40 miles! The motor end connector has cracked around one of the pins, it may be due to the cold as it was around freezing at the time.
Ian

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
How many versions of cable is there. I got new one January 20 for my 19 expert the old one had crack in it. New one i got was flat instead of round. Now im told i need a new cable as its the old version which lets in water.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles