In between sizes. Get a larger or smaller bike?

Ambrose

Mar 27, 2019
Brisbane, Australia.
I'm interested in the Giant Trance E+ 3, but I'm 187.5 cm - exactly half way between the recommended height for the L and the XL.

I've had a go on the both sizes, but I haven't ridden a bike for more than 15 years, so I've got no frame of reference for what feels right. I feel both are a goo fit, so I'm pretty unsure.

What are your thoughts about getting a smaller vs larger bike?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
if you're a stylish, dynamic sort of rider who rides stood up and playfully a shorter Emtb is far more manageable and less effort to manual, hop, lay over and turn in the air.
Even shorter emtbs are still incredibly stable (compared to regular bikes) because of the motor/battery weight being low and central so going longer for stability reasons is somewhat moot IMO.
I am a very dynamic palyful rider on any bike and personally see no benefit from sizing up on an Emtb. but I'm not you.
At the end of the day it's just preference and only you can know what you prefer.

Last edited:

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
No easy choice. In general go for the L . Only your own experience is going to determine what is the better fit.

hokkane4

Jan 3, 2019
Finland
Larger bike you can always make "smaller" by changing shorter stem from stock 60mm (which make bike to handling anyway better) and sliding saddle forward (climbs easier steep up hills).
Also note that Giant has quite small sizing. But it totally depends where and how you like to ride.

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
In a non-electric bike I would go smaller (for weight saving) but I'm not sure on an eMTB. Perhaps find out the geometry of both sizes and see if there are bikes in your local area you can try with similar geo?

Comparing the E+3 sizing to my Focus I would say the sizing is quite large. The effective top tube is longer than my bike (a size L, I'm 185cm, the bike feels large to me), as is the wheelbase, chainstay length and seat tube length. The E+3 XL sizing looks very large indeed.

Focus:
1553689498786.png

Giant

1553689530549.png

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
I'm interested in the Giant Trance E+ 3, but I'm 187.5 cm - exactly half way between the recommended height for the L and the XL.

I've had a go on the both sizes, but I haven't ridden a bike for more than 15 years, so I've got no frame of reference for what feels right. I feel both are a goo fit, so I'm pretty unsure.

I’m 2cm shorter than you and tested a large Trance e on the trail at a local demo. It was a good fit for me, except just slightly long because I have a short torso. Unless you have a very long torso, you would probably prefer the large over the XL.

You say that you haven’t ridden for 15 years. Since you stopped riding mountain bikes have been getting a lot longer in reach; another reason you might want to pass on the XL. I like to ride a bike I want to buy considering the fit changes I’ll make.

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
I had a 2017 Levo in Medium and thought it was fine until I tried a 2019 Levo in Large, I purchased in large immediately and realised I was riding a bike that was to small for the last 2 years. I am 5’9” so not tall and at the height medium is recommended.

I recommend you ride both and go for what feels best.

It was like night and day I am so much quicker on it,

I did notice one thing manuals don’t come as easy, I’m no expert but I could at least pop a little one on the medium so I think Gary has a valid point but I probably need to just work on my technique.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Wondering if XL vs L isn´t a much grater impact than L vs M (maybee the best balanced sizes in general)...!?

Last edited:

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I was in the same quandary. I’m 6ft2 and 95kgs.

In between an L and XL on Specialized. Their sizing reccomended and XL but I had a sit on it and it felt massive and wrong, but I was on a M before.

The L felt perfect but Berkshire Cycles assured me an XL was the right bike. I went for the XL, called up chris a few days later 2 days before picking it up and said I think I’d made a mistake could I go for the L. He said bring it back if you don’t like the XL and they would swap it no charge, he just wanted me happy with my bike. Well I couldnt say fairer than that. I’m not sure many other shops offer that customer service but then he shifts many units so can offer that support.

All I can say I’m so happy with the XL. Although as others have said it’s so down to personal preference. I don’t flick my bike or hop about too much so for me it’s perfect but I feel I could if I wanted to. Im not really that good :) I feel so much quicker and confident on the bike and it’s so great to be on a bike that fits!

Ambrose

Mar 27, 2019
Brisbane, Australia.
Cheers guys, that's some good food for thought. I'll go back and have a proper try of them both. My guy instinct is to go XL... but then I know my brother will want to borrow it.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I'm 188cm and the giant L felt a little small, like I was sitting over the bars. I was going to get the XL but they had none in stock so changed brands and ended up with a large even though the manufacturers sizing chart says it should be too small it feels fine. Long story short it's all about feel. Try to demo longer than a 15 min car park stint, you'll know what feels right.

BammBamm

Nov 21, 2018
Straya
Larger bike you can always make "smaller" by changing shorter stem from stock 60mm (which make bike to handling anyway better) and sliding saddle forward (climbs easier steep up hills).
Also note that Giant has quite small sizing. But it totally depends where and how you like to ride.

Generally speaking with bikes it's easier to make a smaller bike bigger than a big bike smaller. Stack and reach can be lengthen easier by bigger stem, raising seat post and set back. A frame that is too big on the other hand can't be made any smaller. That said increasing things too far either way begins to effect things like handling and body position over BB.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Stack and reach can be lengthen easier by bigger stem, raising seat post and set back.
No. They actually can't.

Google the terms you are using.
Stack and reach can be altered by changing fork axle to crown length or fitting larger/smaller diameter tyre/wheel at one end or lowering/raising suspension.
fitting a different stem/bar/seatpost does not affect it at all.

a large bike with a shorter stem can become closer in fit to the size smaller. but it's still going to have the longer front centre. This is either a positive (if looking for stability) or a negative (if looking for pop/playfulness)

messing about with saddle set back is just wrong. your saddle set back should be determined by your pedalling position not your fit to the bars

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I was in the same quandary. I’m 6ft2 and 95kgs.

In between an L and XL on Specialized. Their sizing reccomended and XL but I had a sit on it and it felt massive and wrong, but I was on a M before.

The L felt perfect but Berkshire Cycles assured me an XL was the right bike. I went for the XL, called up chris a few days later 2 days before picking it up and said I think I’d made a mistake could I go for the L. He said bring it back if you don’t like the XL and they would swap it no charge, he just wanted me happy with my bike. Well I couldnt say fairer than that. I’m not sure many other shops offer that customer service but then he shifts many units so can offer that support.

All I can say I’m so happy with the XL. Although as others have said it’s so down to personal preference. I don’t flick my bike or hop about too much so for me it’s perfect but I feel I could if I wanted to. Im not really that good :) I feel so much quicker and confident on the bike and it’s so great to be on a bike that fits!

Didn't realise your old Levo was an M, christ your new one must feel like a total game changer!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles