I want a smaller battery!

vertzonaatio

Jun 3, 2020
Finland
Am I the only one who would rather have a smaller battery than a larger one? My YT Decoy has a 540 battery and on average it takes 3 of my normal enduro/DH rides to roughly empty the battery. So I would love to have a 250 battery that would remove several kilograms from the bikes weight.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Not for me, no. But I'm sure there will be people out there who would. The bike is heavy enough not to notice an extra kg IMO. Perhaps if I was a better rider I might though...

I expect one of the design considerations will be the discharge current of each of the battery cells. A battery with half the capacity is likley to have half the number of cells and so the discharge current for each cell will be double, which could be bad for battery longevity.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Am I the only one who would rather have a smaller battery than a larger one? My YT Decoy has a 540 battery and on average it takes 3 of my normal enduro/DH rides to roughly empty the battery. So I would love to have a 250 battery that would remove several kilograms from the bikes weight.
Take a chill pill and slow down, you are working far too hard! :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
My YT Decoy has a 540 battery and on average it takes 3 of my normal enduro/DH rides to roughly empty the battery
It normally takes me a 1/3 of my average ride to empty my Kenevo 500wh battery...

What are you doing ? If you're riding on that low a level of assistance you're probably putting more effort into hefting a large lorry about than you would just riding a none electric bike ?

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I would say on at least half the rides I do on my Decoy I am wanting/needing more battery. Usually spend most the rides in eco getting range anxiety and having to work “too hard” by ebike standards. Ran out a few times and had to pedal back without assistance. I’m usually good for 25 miles and 5k’ elevation on a battery. Have gotten up to 6k’ and 40 miles, but that ride was a ton of effort going normal bike speeds the whole time as well.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
How hard can it be? Offer 2 batteries , or even choices of battery ?

Even the range anxious could justify buying a lighter second battery so they can carry it as a spare.

Manufacturers can still play the bigger is better marketing game with 757.3 wh adverts, but then they can sneak in a " from 17.5 kg *".....perhaps even lure the bargain hunters in with advertised prices being a bike with no battery so you can chose the batteries like choosing pedals? Hmmmm...." from 15 kg" bike without battery or pedals :unsure:

*size xs with optional 250 wh battery fitted

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
How hard can it be? Offer 2 batteries , or even choices of battery ?

Even the range anxious could justify buying a lighter second battery so they can carry it as a spare.

Manufacturers can still play the bigger is better marketing game with 757.3 wh adverts, but then they can sneak in a " from 17.5 kg *".....perhaps even lure the bargain hunters in with advertised prices being a bike with no battery so you can chose the batteries like choosing pedals? Hmmmm...." from 15 kg" bike without battery or pedals :unsure:

*size xs with optional 250 wh battery fitted
That would be nice if more bikes had universal batteries. But unfortunately that is not the case. Even some direct to consumer brands (Like YT) have their own in house battery.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
That would be nice if more bikes had universal batteries. But unfortunately that is not the case. Even some direct to consumer brands (Like YT) have their own in house battery.

BONUS - it'd put marketing pressure on the manufacturers to stick with universal batteries.

Amongst my dream list for the next emtb purchase is universal battery to make travel / battery hire viable . Ironically that puts Focus ep8 powered bikes out of the short list - whilst they offer a small battery option, it's not a shimano battery.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Those batteries are serial connected columns, put in several parallel rows.
Charging and load are microcontroller commanded/restricted, so I don't expect too much real problems when putting only 1/2 or 2/5 or... of the capacity.
If you know a marketeer AND banker AND project developer, call me to be the engineer who measures, simulates, tests and reports the real-world technical effects on all components.

Last edited:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Amongst my dream list for the next emtb purchase is universal battery to make travel / battery hire viable
Yes that would be very useful. Currently 2 x 160 Wh SL range extenders as carry-on with airline approval & protected terminals is apparently possible. Maybe 2 x 320 Wh soon ?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I probably haven't gone over a real 60% usage. I might have used 80% once, riding with a friend. I generally charge to 60%. I thought if the sl was more budget friendly I would have gone that way, but it was a new and unknown quantity too. Also, I like the option of more battery and power (I've only tried boost for fun) and it was a tried and tested platform. I'm happy with 504 and see no need to go bigger. Everything has limits.

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Same for me, I rarely flatten my Levo battery. Levo SL would be my bike of choice now.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
But most bike makers use the motor manufacturers' own batteries - that's as near to "universal" as you're going to get.

cole_inman

Dec 11, 2019
Blue Ridge Mountains
I think the future is like a 300 or 400wh internal battery and then a 330wh range extender like the Norcos have. For my after work rides I’d be able to have a lighter, more playful bike, then for big Enduro backcountry days have enough for 4+ descents.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I think the future is like a 300 or 400wh internal battery and then a 330wh range extender like the Norcos have. For my after work rides I’d be able to have a lighter, more playful bike, then for big Enduro backcountry days have enough for 4+ descents.
And the Focus bikes! 378Whr internal plus an optional TEC pack which clips on the down tube to provide another 378Whr. Total 756Whr (for those that count on their fingers!).

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
9 rides out of 10 I get back to the car with less than bugger all power left in a 625Wh battery. I want a lighter battery, but not at the expense of capacity so I guess I'll have to wait for technology to catch up with desire.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles