Impact liner shorts

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Anybody use impact liner shorts? If so what ones & your thoughts on them. I currently am running two pairs of Zoic premium impact liners. Would like to find a pair of the ultras in size large.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I use impact shorts. Have never tried the Zoic's.

Have tried quite a few others though.

My main goto are the Leatt's 3.0's and 5.0's The 5's don't really offer much more than the 3.0's for the price difference. The 4.0's have an inbuilt chamois - though I found this always sat in the wrong place so never wore them. Have extensively crash tested these and the padding works well. Often leaving perfect padding marks with bruising showing where the armour was and wasn't !

Whilst the Zoic's look pretty good on coverage area, I can't decide if they're not a bit short in the leg/coverage area down the thigh. It also seems impossible to find out anything about the type of foam used and how effective it is.

Keep meaning to try the 7idp flex shorts to see what their armour is like and the Troy Lee 7605's - but I always get peed off with troy lee's protection images as they're CGi'd so you can't tell what you're getting and after a few purchases which don't remotely resemble the images (including other troy lee impact shorts) I can't be bothered getting stung again.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Endure MT500s for me, work perfectly over my "runderwear" (That brand solved all chaffing issues) and have had them a couple of years now and like them so much i bought a second pair for long trips where i might want to change them out.
I do around 4 -6000ft of descent a week and hit the ground every month or so on steep techie stuff and have no complaints about these shorts.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I'll have to check those out any feedback on fit comfort and such? I haven't had the Zoic impact long but have had there premium liners for a while and found them to work well.
mine are the Leatt 4 with the integrated padded seat. I always wear them over Under Armour compression shorts. The armour is on the hip and thigh, not very obtrusive but very effective. I have had mine quite a few years now and the only "wear" has been the elasticated waistband which has stretched...............my wife shortened it for me so still wearing them for rocky ground or new territory. For softer terrain/familiar trails, I use G Form padded shorts. Protection is more limited in scope and size but they are lighter than the Leatts and very comfortable.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
I ordered a pair of leatt 3.0 to try out but it looks like
they don't have a chamois which to me doesn't make sense. So i am going to look at the 4.0

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I ordered a pair of leatt 3.0 to try out but it looks like
they don't have a chamois which to me doesn't make sense. So i am going to look at the 4.0
My main goto are the Leatt's 3.0's and 5.0's The 5's don't really offer much more than the 3.0's for the price difference. The 4.0's have an inbuilt chamois - though I found this always sat in the wrong place so never wore them.

I also go "commando" in them (don't wear anything with them). Unlike many others they're comfortable like that and don't chafe. Less layers, less heat - if you like to go for it. If you just plod, then you'll be fine.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Endure MT500s for me, work perfectly over my "runderwear" (That brand solved all chaffing issues) and have had them a couple of years now and like them so much i bought a second pair for long trips where i might want to change them out.
I do around 4 -6000ft of descent a week and hit the ground every month or so on steep techie stuff and have no complaints about these shorts.

I bought a pair of these and returned since the 3D0 armor isn’t removable for laundering.
I had email discussions with Endura and pointed out (with mfg web link) their response was to quote back the link’s comment NOT to launder… so I return as not cleaning between riding would be pretty gross. Too bad since I use the RaceFace 3D0 arm & knee pads where its removable.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I bought a pair of these and returned since the 3D0 armor isn’t removable for laundering.
I had email discussions with Endura and pointed out (with mfg web link) their response was to quote back the link’s comment NOT to launder… so I return as not cleaning between riding would be pretty gross. Too bad since I use the RaceFace 3D0 arm & knee pads where its removable.
Forgot to include link…

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
I had email discussions with Endura and pointed out (with mfg web link) their response was to quote back the link’s comment NOT to launder… so I return as not cleaning between riding would be pretty gross. Too bad since I use the RaceFace 3D0 arm & knee pads where it’s removable.

I’ve been cold washing mine since I bought them. I know now that the effectiveness may be reduced but it’s an area that doesn’t take much impact anyway and it’s still a nice thick D30 pad on my thigh just where I want it to protect the flesh.

Been fine for years, certainly can’t detect any difference in the material.

Be interesting to read some technical paper on what happens to the material actually.

**edit**
Just researched and found you can’t wash them. Marvellous. Lol.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Oh?
I’ve been washing mine since I bought them. Why can’t you launder them? Something to do with the D30?
If you put them on a hand wash/gentle - without anything like shoes in there too ... it should in theory be ok. Ultimately D3O breaks down with the multiple impacts/flexing during washing.

I've pretty much weened off D3O or any of the reactive armours/non-newtonian (though still use some) as they seem to be unpredictable and have a generally short shelf life - approx 2 years - so in my mind that's just wasteful.

In whack tests - some don't react at all (reacting in squashed banana's or great pain) and I've had some just go really stiff like concrete and then crumbly later.

Not sure what the pads are in the Leatt shorts. They just seem to be a semi rigid foam which so far has stayed the same since new and have been washed extensively ! I should do some tests on the older ones compared to the newer ones really.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
If you put them on a hand wash/gentle - without anything like shoes in there too ... it should in theory be ok. Ultimately D3O breaks down with the multiple impacts/flexing during washing.

I've pretty much weened off D3O or any of the reactive armours/non-newtonian (though still use some) as they seem to be unpredictable and have a generally short shelf life - approx 2 years - so in my mind that's just wasteful.

In whack tests - some don't react at all (reacting in squashed banana's or great pain) and I've had some just go really stiff like concrete and then crumbly later.

Not sure what the pads are in the Leatt shorts. They just seem to be a semi rigid foam which so far has stayed the same since new and have been washed extensively ! I should do some tests on the older ones compared to the newer ones really.

Interesting, thanks. 👌🏼
All my stuff is about 2 years old now. 🙄🫤

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
Just swill my endura D3O's around in a bucket with some water and washing liquid every now and again..... seems to be fine 3 years in.

The colour that the water goes is super filthy so sometimes I end up changing the water and then a final cold water rinse

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023

yes overtime the protection would wear out but not being able to wash a garment in some form or another with a mild detergent or cleaner just isn't practical.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Speaking of them I just received my body tee Airflex Steath in XL. By the way if you normally wear a large tee shirt your going want to size up. It looks like it going be good bit of kit. I'll report back my thoughts after a bit of use be it seem to fit well.

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
I use the ION Srub Amp protection shorts in the plus version. Those include a SQlab chamois. The hip crash pads are from SAS-TEC, thigh and tailbone pads are foam. The shorts can be washed at 30° C including the non removable SAS-TEC pads. Mine are three years old now and in excellent shape.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Just swill my endura D3O's around in a bucket with some water and washing liquid every now and again..... seems to be fine 3 years in.

The colour that the water goes is super filthy so sometimes I end up changing the water and then a final cold water rinse
From what I’ve read its the detergents that are the break-down issue which is why RaceFace (and possibly others) design theirs to be removable D3O pads.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I’m using the Troy Lee 7605 shorts, very comfortable and seem to offer good protection. Unfortunately I can’t confirm because I was just wearing a regular under short when I went down a rock slab on my ass

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
I use impact shorts. Have never tried the Zoic's.

Have tried quite a few others though.

My main goto are the Leatt's 3.0's and 5.0's The 5's don't really offer much more than the 3.0's for the price difference. The 4.0's have an inbuilt chamois - though I found this always sat in the wrong place so never wore them. Have extensively crash tested these and the padding works well. Often leaving perfect padding marks with bruising showing where the armour was and wasn't !

Whilst the Zoic's look pretty good on coverage area, I can't decide if they're not a bit short in the leg/coverage area down the thigh. It also seems impossible to find out anything about the type of foam used and how effective it is.

Keep meaning to try the 7idp flex shorts to see what their armour is like and the Troy Lee 7605's - but I always get peed off with troy lee's protection images as they're CGi'd so you can't tell what you're getting and after a few purchases which don't remotely resemble the images (including other troy lee impact shorts) I can't be bothered getting stung again.
While I haven't tried them, yet I can see where the chamois might not be place well in the 4.0. I tried the 3.0 today while do able not having the chamois is a real negative and real doesn't make sense to me.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Well thought I'd give a update regarding the impact liners I've tried. All three will add some undesired heat during the summer but bearable. The Leatt's run cooler Than the Zoic's and seam to offer a bit more protection. However the Zoic's have a chamois unlike the 3.0 which leaves you with the 4.0 who's chamois while it does work some is a bit off to say the least. Also The Zoic's are a little more wash friendly. Bottom line DR. Leatt needs to fix the chamois that is a design defect again I think their protection is better but between that and them technically not being wash friendly it deters one from buying them.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What do you mean by Wash Friendly ?? I've washed my 5.0's and 3.0's hundreds of times and not had any issues - or is there a warning I've taken no notice of ?

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
What do you mean by Wash Friendly ?? I've washed my 5.0's and 3.0's hundreds of times and not had any issues - or is there a warning I've taken no notice of ?
I have been washing mine as well that being said they should make it so you can because that's kinda a loop hole.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I’ve been cold washing mine since I bought them. I know now that the effectiveness may be reduced but it’s an area that doesn’t take much impact anyway and it’s still a nice thick D30 pad on my thigh just where I want it to protect the flesh.

Been fine for years, certainly can’t detect any difference in the material.

Be interesting to read some technical paper on what happens to the material actually.

**edit**
Just researched and found you can’t wash them. Marvellous. Lol.
I use Dettol anti-bacterial Laundry Cleanser, "kills 99.9% of germs", even at lower temperatures. Cost about £6.25 for 3liters. You can get it from any supermarket. I wash all my kit at 30 deg C and put 50ml of this stuff in every wash. Every now and then I wash the bike helmet in a solution of this. That's about 10p per wash.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles