Bib Shorts sizing

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
Right, I'm doing this 92km road sportive on my EMTB, and I reckon that I'll be about 5 hours in the saddle. I've tried the ergon ebike saddle and finally gave up on it and yesterday went back to my trusty fizk gobi, as I can ride about an hour or so longer with that before getting sore bum cheeks. Yesterday I also tried (for the first time ever) bib shorts, and, apart from having to adjust my bits for the first 10 minutes, I was generally quite happy with them. Did a 3.5 hour ride, a few climbs, drops, etc, but my arse was feeling it a little towards the end.... however.....

One of the reasons I had to adjust my bits is that the sizing of the bib shorts are a bit weird (for my build anyway). I'm 188cm tall (6'2") and 86cm (34") inside leg, and a bit chunky with it (38" waist 46" chest). So I bought some endura xtract bibs in size XL, tried them on, and although stretchy they were digging in a little on my shoulders. I thought I'd give them a go as they may loosen up during the ride, but that digging in on my shoulders feeling led to an equal digging in on my bits, basically trying to ram them back inside me. I persevered and finally found a position where my meat and two veg were comfortable (much to the amusement of various passing motorists), but they were a little tight on my shoulders for the duration.

Overall I was impressed with the comfort of the bibs compared to my various padded shorts, they fit around the waist (so probably towards their max stretch, great fit around the hips, probably just right on the thigh (the next size up would be too loose on the thigh I reckon), but too short on the torso.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for bib shorts that are great for long days in the saddle and are suitable for a longer torso, but will fit my waists, hips and thighs, that don't cost silly money? I know I could try some on, but the thought of going into the changing room of my little bike shop (who only have a limited range anyway, especially in terms of sizes) with an armful of bib shorts and trying to indicate without saying so that I'll be leaving by undercrackers on for the sizing is holding me back a bit. So would prefer some suggestions for suitable manufacturers first before I spend the hardearned on something, if anyone knows of any?

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
I only use bib shorts for short rides were I don’t expect that I will need any comfort breaks and every set I’ve had pull as that’s what they are designed to do.

How about trying your favourite most comfortable shorts with clip on braces if you feel that they are slipping down a bit. You can adjust the amount of pull that way.

You don’t mention if you are using padding, for me it a must for a reasonable time in the saddle.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
I am similar size to you and have found some Endura items to be a bit short in the shoulders and waist previously, but garment sizes change more than fashionable colours so no idea if they still actually measure up small. Best bet is just try a few other brands (with pants on under obviously!) to see how the shoulders feel.

I use Morvelo bibs a lot, they are tighter on the leg bit more shoulder space, unless you get their summer ones, and then the sizing is totally different for some reason. Nothing is ever simple!

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Some of mine had tight shoulder straps too, but were great otherwise, so I cut the straps and sewed in some extra fabric to extend them and make them comfortable.

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
Some of mine had tight shoulder straps too, but were great otherwise, so I cut the straps and sewed in some extra fabric to extend them and make them comfortable.
I'm seriously thinking of doing this, can I ask where you got the extra fabric from?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
4 suggestions. First measure your sit bones and use a saddle of the right size; second wear compression shorts under padded shorts; third get padded shorts that use gel ( the quality of padding in padded short varies greatly and is usually the main reason for higher price!) ; fourth, assuming your planned ride is a "pedal ride" as opposed to hard core trails, set your sag greater on the shock to give a softer ride, and use a fairly low rear tyre air pressure.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I'm seriously thinking of doing this, can I ask where you got the extra fabric from?

I bought some lycra material from Amazon to roughly match the original straps: this is the old expired link: 59" Wide Spandex Nylon Lycra 4 Way Stretch Dress Dance Sportswear Fabric Material, per metre - White: Amazon.co.uk: Welcome (but there should be similar listings available).

Having done it now, you only need a small amount of fabric, and I suspect any material will work fine (e.g. it probably doesn't need to be stretchy - as you will still get the same stretch from the rest of the strap). Non-stretchy may even work better. I made the inserts on the back, so I don't notice when I'm wearing them.

WP_20210520_20_34_12_Pro.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I Rarely wear them now as proper long rides are a lot less frequent but have worn bibs on and off road for 30 years and one thing I can tell you is that there's never been any true uniformity between different brands sizing in bib shorts. unfortunately the only way to find a good fit and a chamois that you get on with is trial and error. Even if you find a set which seem to fit your body dimentions perfectly when you try them on you won't truely know if they are comfortable until you've worn them for a few longer rides. Everyone's arse, hips and tackle are different but more panels and quality stitching is generally a good thing. Being larger probably makes finding what is most suitable for you even more challenging.

in the meantime, Maybe Steve could entertain you with his saddle sore stories while Carl knocks up a super spreadsheet ;)

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
try decathlon B Twin bib. They seem to make things for the ermmmm larger gent - you'd need XXL. Most other brands seem to cater to racing snakes. I have two sets - best quality version and med quality version - the med quality actually seem better and price is v reasonable.
I'd also slap some sudocream on the sit bones and around the groin when I know it'll be a long ride

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
4 suggestions. First measure your sit bones and use a saddle of the right size; second wear compression shorts under padded shorts; third get padded shorts that use gel ( the quality of padding in padded short varies greatly and is usually the main reason for higher price!) ; fourth, assuming your planned ride is a "pedal ride" as opposed to hard core trails, set your sag greater on the shock to give a softer ride, and use a fairly low rear tyre air pressure.
cheers for this, I measured my sitbones for my ergon ebike saddle, but haven't got on with it. I'm going to go commando, but I have just ordered a pair of castillo free aero bibs in xxl because a) they are now on sale and b) they seem to be the gold standard in terms of comfort and slidability. I do take your 4th point, and I might follow it, but its a hardtail and I'm planning on locking out the front and having the tyres as hard as possible to get me over the 92km and several big climbs with the least rolling resistance. I'm also going to try to be a bit quicker on the day than my training rides have been, in part to reduce opportunity of sitbone pain

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
definitely need to be padded, I like the idea of normal braces, but worried that they will dig in at the front.

The ones designed for snowboard pants work pretty well. But my a$$ is shaped such that there isn't a baggy invented yet which will stay in place during a ride without being held up by something.

Also, sizing varies MASSIVELY across different brands. I need an XL in some and a M in others. I blame the skinny assed roadies.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you mean Castelli. being italian and of roadbike herritage their garments size up pretty small. Or they certainly did last time I wore any.

Sit bone measurement for finding perfect saddle comfort is mainly marketing BS

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
I did the lighthouse challenge yesterday, well the half course of 92km. 1.5km climbing, and in the saddle for 4:30 hours in total, wearing Castelli free aero in size 2xl, probably a little tight on me, especially around the thighs and belly :D but no sit bone ache, or chaffing or sores of any type and felt I could have gone on for another 4 and a half hours. The straps were a little tighter than I would like, but not enough to worry about once riding.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles