Pants vs shorts on the trails

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I am a real tick magnet
I think there is something in that, I’ve a family of five living by the Moors and it’s always my youngest daughter that picks up any ticks. She is a twin so it’s not like they go for the smallest either.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I think there is something in that, I’ve a family of five living by the Moors and it’s always my youngest daughter that picks up any ticks. She is a twin so it’s not like they go for the smallest either.
I remember allmost 50 years ago my friend with a pool had a younger chubby sister who was allways the first to get bitten. A few years ago i read about no sugar the day before to be less attractive to mosquitos. They go with the smell(i am pretty sure) so no herbal shampoo.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
They say that drinking Tonic water helps to avoid mosquito bites. There are presumably other dietary differences which impact on how attractive we are to insects.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Yes, those were my thoughts exactly, I was already feeling limited by my top speed, all the more so now, so got me a used raceface narow/wide 34 tooth 104bcd chainring for my Brose motor (to replace the standard 32 tooth) from a nice fellow here on the forum!
Going to try it. Should fix it!
Tim

Keep us posted on how it performs as I’m looking at doing this myself.
If I did go to a 36 tooth would I have to change anything in the shimano settings because if I log into any of the apps it tells me that I’m currents running a 34T on the front and an 11 on the back.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
If I did go to a 36 tooth would I have to change anything in the shimano settings because if I log into any of the apps it tells me that I’m currents running a 34T on the front and an 11 on the back.
I put a 30t on for a while without issue. You might want check you have enough room to clear the chain stay with a bigger front ring. On some bike the clearance is very small.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A bit of research revealed that there are a few things you can do to reduce your attractiveness to insects. Dont drink beer and dont wear black or dark clothing....really!

atcspaul

Dec 28, 2018
Portage, Michigan
When riding streets I wear shorts, In the woods long pants and long sleeves. Like Ian I hate ticks the damn things carry lime disease and don't like mosquito's. I also wear long sleeves. Got pants and shirt from a fishing store that are designed to protect you from the sun but they help to protect from bugs and bushes that like to scratch you. They are light and hardly know you have anything on. Also light colored so I can see the ticks.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel

Sorry, don't know anything about the Shimano system... On the Levo/kenevo with Brose motor the maximum size that will fit without removing the original chainguide is 34 tooth.
Will update when I install it.
Tim

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
We can do more stuff than we might think. I think Bosh was saying arms cannot me modified because the sensor would be messed up. On my Yamaha 2017 i took a chance went from 175 to 165 and no issue. I switched my cassette from 11-36 to 11-42 again no issue. I switched my rear tire from 3.0 to 2.8, no issue.

Lino

Jul 26, 2019
Hilmar, Ca. USA
Ok all this talk about ticks, had one on my leg and I did not know that it’s important to identify what kind of tick it is and it does not hurt to keep it in a bag and take it to your doctor, if you kill them and leave them behind you might never know.
The least you can do is take a picture of it

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
For the top speed lovers Yamaha can have 2 front rings.
My EHaibike is 20 speeds so pedaling to the trails and back i use my 44T and in the trails i use my 32T. Do not worry, over 3,000 kms never a chain drop. No issue either.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
YAMAHA YAMAHA YAMAHA ... Are you sure you're not a Yamaha BOT ? Everypost is YAMAHA. YAMAHA is the BEST.. I'm thinking of buying a hardtail - Only buy a YAMAHA, YAMAHA is best. YAMAHA goes Furthest. Other motors all crap. YAMAHA motor makes your dinner and can be used in your washing machine when you don't ride. YAMAHA motor performs magic.

I'm just not quite sure what you're trying to say yet ? Do you think the Yamaha motor is better than every other motor by some huge margin ?

The few things I've learnt on here is that all the motors are good. We're very lucky to have such a great selection. They all have their positives and negatives - anything does - nothing is perfect, everything is a compromise one way or another (sorry, except YAMAHA which was made from alien spaceship technology from 10000000000000 years in the future, but unfortunately plays loud alien rock music all the time - they just couldn't get that bit out when they reverse engineered it).

I've also learnt that EVERYONE who buys an EMTB loves it - no matter which motor it is.

When people come here for advice on which bike to buy, they don't want a Yamaha BOT saying YAMAHA YAMAHA YAMAHA and then backing it up with lots of complete rubbish. They want useful helpful unbiast advice based on what kind of riding they plan to do, what kind of rider they are, what their tastes and style preferences are.

NO ONE else here starts all of their advice with you must buy XYZ motor bike .. no one ! no one no one one .. except the YAMAHA BOT !

I just don't YAMAHA know what to YAMAHA say really. It's just getting a bit YAMAHAing frustrating that every YAMAHAing thread just has YAMAHA randomly inserted. It wouldn't be so bad if it was YAMAHAing funny or something. But it's not, it's just YAMAHAing boring.

See .. that's what happens when you get up early to go clearing trails on foot after a storm, fancy a 5 minute break to clear your head before you get on with your work and they've all been YAMAHA'd. You just don't get your nice comfortable cozy friendly happy interesting Forum fix.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
YAMAHA YAMAHA YAMAHA ... Are you sure you're not a Yamaha BOT ? Everypost is YAMAHA. YAMAHA is the BEST.. I'm thinking of buying a hardtail - Only buy a YAMAHA, YAMAHA is best. YAMAHA goes Furthest. Other motors all crap. YAMAHA motor makes your dinner and can be used in your washing machine when you don't ride. YAMAHA motor performs magic.

I'm just not quite sure what you're trying to say yet ? Do you think the Yamaha motor is better than every other motor by some huge margin ?

The few things I've learnt on here is that all the motors are good. We're very lucky to have such a great selection. They all have their positives and negatives - anything does - nothing is perfect, everything is a compromise one way or another (sorry, except YAMAHA which was made from alien spaceship technology from 10000000000000 years in the future, but unfortunately plays loud alien rock music all the time - they just couldn't get that bit out when they reverse engineered it).

I've also learnt that EVERYONE who buys an EMTB loves it - no matter which motor it is.

When people come here for advice on which bike to buy, they don't want a Yamaha BOT saying YAMAHA YAMAHA YAMAHA and then backing it up with lots of complete rubbish. They want useful helpful unbiast advice based on what kind of riding they plan to do, what kind of rider they are, what their tastes and style preferences are.

NO ONE else here starts all of their advice with you must buy XYZ motor bike .. no one ! no one no one one .. except the YAMAHA BOT !

I just don't YAMAHA know what to YAMAHA say really. It's just getting a bit YAMAHAing frustrating that every YAMAHAing thread just has YAMAHA randomly inserted. It wouldn't be so bad if it was YAMAHAing funny or something. But it's not, it's just YAMAHAing boring.

See .. that's what happens when you get up early to go clearing trails on foot after a storm, fancy a 5 minute break to clear your head before you get on with your work and they've all been YAMAHA'd. You just don't get your nice comfortable cozy friendly happy interesting Forum fix.

???????????
You cracked me up!?
Good to know I'm not the only "sucker" that likes to stop and clear the trails...
Tim

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Ha, This thread seems to be wandering. Washing machines, Pianos all in here.
In summer I am a shorts man, except when downhilling. though I did an epic ride on Tuesday after work and wished I had long trousers as I Blasted through stinging nettel. It was a boggy section so I didn't want to stop and just kept blasting. Hurt like shit and the next few hours my legs were constantly tingling from the Nettel burns.
In winter I use my Ski Touring trousers from VauDe

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
The only issue with overzealous use of the ignore button is that anti-yamaha rants make a lot less sense ?

tedturbine

May 8, 2019
Worthing
Anyway lets get this back on topic, these are the only pants you need:

mxpants2.jpg

Lino

Jul 26, 2019
Hilmar, Ca. USA
Thank you for everyone's input on the pants and the Yamahappi and what ever else was discussed on this thread.
I did look at a variety of pants, and liked the Troy Lee, but for the riding I do the price was a little too high, so this is what I ended up with, and for 24 dollars I might invest in another pair, I have tried 2 others and these are not bad for the money.
4ucycling Windproof Athletic Pants for Outdoor and Multi Sports
They are on Amazon, just need to figure out your size, I wear 31 waist jeans and bought the 2XL, they fit me great, not tight displaying the package like some others I tried.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles