I'm starting to regret getting my Orbea Rise...

Apr 4, 2023
United States
I've had the bike for approximately 4 weeks and have had nothing but problems on the little bugger.

1. The charger is terrible quality for a "smart charger". I have to unplug it from the wall every time it finishes charging, or it won't work again. And if I leave it plugged into the bike overnight, it will sap power from the battery. This is compared to my 2 year old Giant ebike charger that will trickle charge my bike with the charger plugged in forever. And the giant charger has a storage mode! Orbea does not.

2. There was a terrible creak in the main pivot. It was silly how loud it was for a brand new bike. I had friends teasing me about my brand new expensive bike popping louder than their 10 year old ones. After back and forth at the shop I had to pay labor for them to regrease the main pivot. It helped a lot, but the creak is still there.

3. My rear hub exploded mid-ride. I was happy I didn't have to hike the bike several miles home, but it did suck the brand new hub just nuked itself. The shop replaced the internals and it seems okay now.

4. Now it sounds like my motor may need replacing. I had a horrible snapping noise while the cranks were level. I already replaced the E13 cranks with Shimano when I bought the bike after hearing it was a common failure point. I took it back to the shop, hoping it was just a loose motor mount, but sounds like it is internal to the motor and I guess Shimano doesn't allow shops to repair them, just send them in and get replaced.

It's great fun when it works, but the dang thing is spending more time in the shop than on the trails. Right now is primo ride time and I'm stuck waiting... This has never been my style, I always preferred older things I can use vs the best of the best that's always in the shop. I'd always take an old Toyota vs a Mercedes.

So if you're looking into an Orbea Rise, buyer beware! These things are finicky as heck.

Edit1: Well it's official, my Orbrea is getting a new motor. I'm really hoping it's the new EP800.5, but I'm not sure if those are in the US yet. On the plus side, the shop said I'm fine to ride the bike until the new motor comes in, but just to be aware the play will only get worse lol.

Last edited:

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
1. "The charger is terrible quality for a "smart charger". "
My manual says to plug the charger into the mains AFTER plugging it into the bike. I really don't see that as any issue at all.
I have specifically checked my charger and it definitely doesn't discharge the bike if left connected, mine stays in for days at a time. This could also explain the need to "reset" the charger between charges, you don't want it starting to charge again without being unplugged first.

From what I've read the discharge issue was down to an older version of the charger, perhaps your bike is old stock?

2. "There was a terrible creak in the main pivot. It was silly how loud it was for a brand new bike. "
600 miles in in wet and dry conditions and haven't had the pivot creak yet, I have had the seatpost creak in the frame, just like my Marin hardtail non-ebike does regularly.

3. "My rear hub exploded mid-ride. I was happy I didn't have to hike the bike several miles home, but it did suck the brand new hub just nuked itself. "
Mine was failing, it's well documented as an issue - I'm waiting for a warranty exchange but went ahead and upgraded the wheels anyway.

4. "Now it sounds like my motor may need replacing. "
Can't comment on this, other than the standard clutch rattle I don't have any issues with the motor

"So if you're looking into an Orbea Rise, buyer beware! These things are finicky as heck."

I'd recommend the Rise to anyone that looks after their bikes and understands they are buying something complicated and that will need maintenance.

The only issue I've had so far was the freehub.

If you've had this many problems perhaps you should be taking it up with the dealer re an exchange bike? What distance have you done and what conditions??

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
You shouldn't be having these issues this soon, you said you are heavy, are you hammering the bike weight wise in boost all the time?

I'm 95kg plus kit and the hub was still working but showing the problem with the pawl so would have failed eventually, but that was at 500 miles. I tend to ride in eco more than anything though. Rare I use boost. Have you checked the usage with ST Unlocker to see charge cycles, total distance etc? Is it an ex demo bike?

I'd be checking it's not old stock, as I say mine was bought in Aug 2022, doesn't have the battery discharge issue, and the hub did nearly 500 miles without failure and the main noise I've had was the seat tube greasing up.

Apr 4, 2023
United States
You shouldn't be having these issues this soon, you said you are heavy, are you hammering the bike weight wise in boost all the time?

I'm 95kg plus kit and the hub was still working but showing the problem with the pawl so would have failed eventually, but that was at 500 miles. I tend to ride in eco more than anything though. Rare I use boost. Have you checked the usage with ST Unlocker to see charge cycles, total distance etc? Is it an ex demo bike?

I'd be checking it's not old stock, as I say mine was bought in Aug 2022, doesn't have the battery discharge issue, and the hub did nearly 500 miles without failure and the main noise I've had was the seat tube greasing up.

I don't feel like I'm hammering it. I ride in either Trail or Boost while riding on the trail as I live next to the mountains. Not many flat trails by me. I don't make it work too hard on hills, I always down shift to a granny gear on the climbs.

Technically the hub "worked" but it was making a horrible grinding noise occasionally while riding. It wasn't bad enough to make the noise while on a bike stand, just while riding. And I was able ride the bike back down the trail and back home.

I don't want to use the ST Unlocker app as I don't want to void the warranty.

The bike is actually brand new from Spain. When I ordered it from the shop they had to order it from Orbea in Spain as they didn't have any in stock. It came brand in box and had to be built, so it definitely was not a demo model.
20230527_102323-01.jpg

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
I don't feel like I'm hammering it. I ride in either Trail or Boost while riding on the trail as I live next to the mountains. Not many flat trails by me. I don't make it work too hard on hills, I always down shift to a granny gear on the climbs.

Technically the hub "worked" but it was making a horrible grinding noise occasionally while riding. It wasn't bad enough to make the noise while on a bike stand, just while riding. And I was able ride the bike back down the trail and back home.

I don't want to use the ST Unlocker app as I don't want to void the warranty.

The bike is actually brand new from Spain. When I ordered it from the shop they had to order it from Orbea in Spain as they didn't have any in stock. It came brand in box and had to be built, so it definitely was not a demo model.

Hi, ST Unlocker won't affect your warranty if you don't use it to change any settings, it just gives you more detailed info, but given what you're saying it clearly isn't an ex demo or anything like that then no need to bother.

Have you tried the seat post for the creak? You really can't tell where sound is coming from it's just "under you" - ie you'd think it was the linkage.

Re the motor have the shop definitely diagnosed it as a motor fault or are they just going on your description?
The motor does "clunk" when freewheeling on rough terrain, but it's normal for the motor - doesn't bother me but I've seen videos where it's much louder than mine is.

Apr 4, 2023
United States
Hi, ST Unlocker won't affect your warranty if you don't use it to change any settings, it just gives you more detailed info, but given what you're saying it clearly isn't an ex demo or anything like that then no need to bother.

Have you tried the seat post for the creak? You really can't tell where sound is coming from it's just "under you" - ie you'd think it was the linkage.

Re the motor have the shop definitely diagnosed it as a motor fault or are they just going on your description?
The motor does "clunk" when freewheeling on rough terrain, but it's normal for the motor - doesn't bother me but I've seen videos where it's much louder than mine is.

That's good to know about ST Unlocker. I was under the impression that using it at all would void the warranty.

I have checked the seat post for the creak. I have aluminum and not carbon, so I just used some bearing grease all up and down the dropper post. But it seems like the creek is coming from down low near the main pivot.

The bike definitely has a clunk when free wheeling on descents, but my problem happens consistently when the pedals are parallel to the ground, even on a completely flat surfaces. Basically the motor causes a snapping feeling when tilting the bike one way or the other.

The shop initially wrote off my complaint as loose cranks and/or Shimano EP8 clunk when they first got it, but after I explained it better they found the issue to be abnormal and to be an issue with the motor, rather than just the cranks.

It's really bad when you practice bike body separation like this video -

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
My Rise has been running well for nearly 2yrs until I pushed the dropper into frame too much & knocked power button out & snapped so had to order new one would be 2weeks but have changed all parts on bike as had all the parts & are better than what came on the M20

Apr 4, 2023
United States
My Rise has been running well for nearly 2yrs until I pushed the dropper into frame too much & knocked power button out & snapped so had to order new one would be 2weeks but have changed all parts on bike as had all the parts & are better than what came on the M20
Wait, wat? It's been running well, but you've changed out all parts? That's a little ironic don't you think 😂😂

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
There have been plenty of reports of the hubs Orbea substituted, when they could not get Shimano, were dying. They were covered by warranty, A few reports of EP8's being swapped out. Lets hope after your are replaced thing will be smooth sailing.

Apr 4, 2023
United States
There have been plenty of reports of the hubs Orbea substituted, when they could not get Shimano, were dying. They were covered by warranty, A few reports of EP8's being swapped out. Lets hope after your are replaced thing will be smooth sailing.
Man I really hope so. I was pumped when I got the bike, but I've thoroughly had the wind taken out of my sails and got nothing but roasted from riding friends as they have cheap Giants and are out having a great time in great weather... While I'm sitting at home complaining, waiting for my bike to be fixed lol.

I really hope once this motor issue gets fixed, I'll have a somewhat reliable bike!

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
I’ve already read enough bad things to put me off buying an Orbea Rise. Actually I wouldn’t buy anything with a Shimano motor in it.

I hope you get it sorted. It’s really not good enough, especially considering how much these things cost.

Apr 4, 2023
United States
I’ve already read enough bad things to put me off buying an Orbea Rise. Actually I wouldn’t buy anything with a Shimano motor in it.

I hope you get it sorted. It’s really not good enough, especially considering how much these things cost.
Yeah I bought into the hype and the people saying they're crazy reliable. It's only after I bought it and joined the forums that I realized the mistake I had made lol. It's really the only bike that hit all the marks for me - Well known company, locally sold and serviced, lightweight, and affordable. I bought a 2022 model to get that sweet 20% off, but now I kind of regret it lol. Cause with full price they have a love it guarantee, but with marked down items they don't 🙃

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I hate Fox suspension & wheels are always shit have always bought just a frame in past but couldn’t do it with ebike

Must admit, I much prefer my Lyrics to the FOX 36. The FOX is fine on loam but as soon as the terrain gets a bit rough it feels a bit clattery and I can’t get it dialed in.

I’ve got two bikes with Lyrics and they’re smooth as butter over the chunk

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Fair point. I think Specialized is the only one I can think of that offers frame only.
Which is more expensive than complete M20 & then Some 😂 Already had all the parts from my last frame I sold & could get some money back selling the wheels & forks & brakes off the M20

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Sorry for all your grief,. Sounds like a lemon to me. Tip for the pivot creak. My first Trek dealer replaced the upper and lower bearings when the bike was only 6 months old with maybe 500 miles on it. Within a month creaking came back but faintly. I took it to an actual Trek company store and they re-torqued the bolts and sprayed the joints with Triflow. This Teflon based lubricant has been around a long time. No more creaks! Available on Amazon…. I prefer the spray rather than the bottle as it penetrates deeper.

IMG_0592.png

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023
United States
Sorry for all your grief,. Sounds like a lemon to me. Tip for the pivot creak. My first Trek dealer replaced the upper and lower bearings when the bike was only 6 months old with maybe 500 miles on it. Within a month creaking came back but faintly. I took it to an actual Trek company store and they re-torqued the bolts and sprayed the joints with Triflow. This Teflon based lubricant has been around a long time. No more creaks! Available on Amazon…. I prefer the spray rather than the bottle as it penetrates deeper.

View attachment 117044

Funny you mention this stuff. When I got my first creak on the new bike, I hit every single joint with a Torque Wrench and this tri-flow, but I used the squeeze bottle instead of the spray. Sad to say it did not solve my issue.

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire
You're in a forum on e-bikes, for every one issue here there are probably 50 people that haven't had an issue... Like trip advisor, 90% of people only go on to moan if they have a problem! :rolleyes::D

Meanwhile I've had another great night out on the Rise, I love it and have no regrets at all... The good times will come, shame you got the Friday afternoon after siesta bike.... :D

IMG20230606195510.jpg

LeeS69

Aug 27, 2022
Yorkshire

Try googling "Bosch cx motor problems" - then google "Ebike motor problems" - then accept you're never going to buy an E-bike... Oh and definitely don't buy a car less than 10 years old, modern engines are all riddled with problems.... Google it.... Best buy an electric car.... But you might want to google it first.... :rolleyes: 🤪😂

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles