Thinking of getting a H30 today opinions from owners please

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Hello everyone

So basically I had a Orbea rise m team in carbon and sold it last year ( which I regret )
Money is a bit tighter now and I have seen a 2022 h30 I can get brand new for £3000

The components I know will be of a lower quantity than the m team but I will swap them out over time

Although the weight might be a little more for the alloy version I always used a range extender with the m team so my theory is the alloy has a bigger battery so I won’t need a extender bring the weight pretty close to

I like the idea is the alloy bike with the bigger battery and a display which the m team didn’t have

Is there any reason why the entry level one isn’t worth it ?
Is there any common faults to look out for
What’s your opinion on the alloy version.

Many thanks

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
The standard bike is a great buy; the bigger battery gaves a great range and everything is spot on for XC trails. Depending on your weight and where you ride the front disk might be worth upgrading from 180 to 203mm. The rear suspension geometry/linkages make it a bit loose at the back but I haven't seen an easy/cheap fix and TBH not something that affects "normal" riding. Check the hubs are Shimano as some bikes were fitted with cheap ones due to supply problems and they seem to fail easily.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The standard bike is a great buy; the bigger battery gaves a great range and everything is spot on for XC trails. Depending on your weight and where you ride the front disk might be worth upgrading from 180 to 203mm. The rear suspension geometry/linkages make it a bit loose at the back but I haven't seen an easy/cheap fix and TBH not something that affects "normal" riding. Check the hubs are Shimano as some bikes were fitted with cheap ones due to supply problems and they seem to fail easily.
I dont know anything a bout the bike but what would concern me a bout buying any of the 2022 /new bargains would be how long since manufacture those bikes have been in store given the bike and its components were possibly made in 2021 and have been unused all that time. So I would check carefully all batteries and electrical components as well as suspension and pivots.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
I like my 2022 H30, 21kg as pictured (minus the bottle) and has had the standard EP8 firmware installed from new. For a reasonably light trail bike there's not really a better deal than a heavily discounted Rise H30.

The only problem I've had was the unbranded rear hub failure - replace it within 200km to avoid getting stuck if you get the unbranded hub.

rise0.jpg

DarrenCC

Apr 3, 2021
Hertfordshire
I dont know anything a bout the bike but what would concern me a bout buying any of the 2022 /new bargains would be how long since manufacture those bikes have been in store given the bike and its components were possibly made in 2021 and have been unused all that time. So I would check carefully all batteries and electrical components as well as suspension and pivots.
I’m curious as to what you think might happen to the various components by being unused? My ebike is stored in a shed throughout hot summer and freezing winter and all still works fine. What damage could clean storage do?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I’m curious as to what you think might happen to the various components by being unused? My ebike is stored in a shed throughout hot summer and freezing winter and all still works fine. What damage could clean storage do?
2022 bikes were very likely manufactured and assembled in 2021 with components possibly manufactured in 2020!. Post manufacture e.g in Taiwan they are boxed and then shipped all over the world, then held in storage centrally within country and laterly in a LBS. That inevitably means several changes of temperature and humidity especially if the bike is boxed for much of that time. Modern bikes utilise a number of lithium batteries, some non chargeable cell type ( Purion, TCU ,AXS etc) some rechargeable ( LED Remote and some newer controllers). The main battery is usually put in "sleep mode" after manufacture....not woken up until its first charge. There is no information what impact a long period of sleep mode or non usage has on that battery or how long non rechargeable batteries hold their full voltage. Sensitive electronic circuits in controllers, motors and batteries can be impacted by extremes of temperature and high humidity. Grease held in a sealed environment such as bearings and also suspension components can also be impacted.

This is nothing I can quantify or prove one way or the other, merely my sense of caution. Even brand new current year releases we buy are old enough before they actually reach the LBS for us to buy when you think about it!! I dont think it is a reason NOT to pick up one of the 2022 bargains............just a need to check a few things if you do!

DarrenCC

Apr 3, 2021
Hertfordshire
2022 bikes were very likely manufactured and assembled in 2021 with components possibly manufactured in 2020!. Post manufacture e.g in Taiwan they are boxed and then shipped all over the world, then held in storage centrally within country and laterly in a LBS. That inevitably means several changes of temperature and humidity especially if the bike is boxed for much of that time. Modern bikes utilise a number of lithium batteries, some non chargeable cell type ( Purion, TCU ,AXS etc) some rechargeable ( LED Remote and some newer controllers). The main battery is usually put in "sleep mode" after manufacture....not woken up until its first charge. There is no information what impact a long period of sleep mode or non usage has on that battery or how long non rechargeable batteries hold their full voltage. Sensitive electronic circuits in controllers, motors and batteries can be impacted by extremes of temperature and high humidity. Grease held in a sealed environment such as bearings and also suspension components can also be impacted.

This is nothing I can quantify or prove one way or the other, merely my sense of caution. Even brand new current year releases we buy are old enough before they actually reach the LBS for us to buy when you think about it!! I dont think it is a reason NOT to pick up one of the 2022 bargains............just a need to check a few things if you do!
Live more dangerously man 👍🤘

Reactions: Dax

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Even though it is a 22 bike would it still be covered by full manufacturers warranty from the date you purchased it
If that was the case then I can't see a problem

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
My daughter has a 22 h30. It's a sweet trail bike for a mid level component spec.

Obviously the lower spec parts aren't as good as the high end stuff.

The battery motor combo gives good range. It's a better option than the silly 360wh version.

Of course the rise best suits trail riding. Want to go gnarlier then look at the something with more travel.

FLOCO

May 11, 2022
Manitou Springs
Obviously the H30 has lower spec components, but other than the front brake, which I immediately upgraded to a quality 203mm rotor, that hasn't slowed me down a bit and I ride mountain single track exclusively. I suspect you'll find the H30 to be very capable - I say go for it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles