I'm new. And why I bought a 2018 Canyon Spectral:On 7.0

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
Firstly, why an e-bike? I'm 48 and I had a freak accident in June where I destroyed both hips. As at end November I'm now mainly on crutches, but on bad days, or days where a lot of 'walking' would be involved, I resort to a wheelchair. When I was riding I'd ride with various groups and took an awful long time to get fit enough to climb "mid-pack". Given the severe muscle wastage I've suffered (I was completely non weight-bearing for 14 weeks) it's going to take me a long time to get fit again. I always said I'd get one at 50, so its just arrived a little earlier than planned.

I've had a lot of time on my hands to do a lot of keyboard research and have managed to visit half a dozen shops to hear their take on it. It seems that it's getting almost difficult to buy a bad e-bike now, as everything from 2018 on looks cracking and the rate of development is staggering. I enjoyed this article:
https://ebike-mtb.com/en/best-emtb-2018-twelve-dream-bikes-review/
I loved the look of the Fantic, with the 27.5 rear and 29'er front, but the dealer I spoke to said if he ordered me one it might arrive next week or in 6 months, which didn't fill me with confidence.

I was seriously tempted by a 'Bulls E-Core Evo EN Di2', but I've always ridden 130mm'ish bikes, and the numbers 180mm and £6500 both seemed too big for me. I considered the Bulls 'AM RS Di2' at 150mm travel, but at £6500, too much Fox gold for my tastes and no stock in the UK, I ruled it out. Then I considered the cheaper Bulls Ecore Evo AM Di2 at £5500 (incl spare battery) , but it has a Yari fork and Bulls rims, which made me question what I valued and wanted to pay for. Bulls do some great looking bikes, and great specs, but nothing quite ticked my boxes. You can see loads of their bikes here:
https://www.justebikes.co.uk/category/e-mtbs/?swoof=1&pa_brand=bulls&really_curr_tax=17-product_cat

The reviews of the 2019 Levo have been outstanding, but have tended to be of the £6k+ bikes. I have a really helpful Specialized dealer near me, so paid them a visit. Seems the Levo's (all models) are flying out the door and they didn't have one in stock to show me, even the demonstrator was out. They aren't getting any more £4k models in until Feb. I compared all models. If you build up a table and compare the specs, it seems to me that you are paying quite a premium to go up the range (i.e. the additional £1000 doesn't seem to justify the components you are getting) and until you get to the £6k model I felt that the forks were sub-par based on the asking price of the bike (RS Sektor on the £4k model, RS Revelation on the £5k model). This was all helping though, as it was clarifying what I wanted. I priced up buying the £4k Levo, some RS Lyriks, DT Swiss hybrid wheels, Shimano Saint brakes and a budget dropper post and, assuming fitting parts myself, and selling bits removed, I think I'd end up with a really well spec'd Levo for around £5k. Except that I didn't really like the colours of the £4k bikes. My first full-suss bike was a Giant Trance, which I bought because it appeared to be the best bike at my price-point, and as capable as it was, I never really 'loved it'. It was a great bike, but this time round, did i really want to spend £5k on a bicycle and not 'love it'? Onwards....

So more research and reflection on what I wanted, which seemed to be:
  • Not massively bothered on motor, but if nothing else between them I'd probably go for Shimano based both on what I have read, and because I find their higher range kit to be great more often than not (not their hubs though).
  • Not massively bothered on integrated battery either. At first I thought it was a must have, but looking into the pro's and cons of weight higher and further forward, potential added hassle when removing from the bike for charging, and battery size if wanting a spare, this became irrelevant. I.e. I'd be happy either way.
  • Prefer any display to either be small or non-existent. I crash, things break, and I should probably spend more time on looking where I am going!
  • Geometry similar to my Transition Smuggler
  • I'd prefer RockShox Forks, preferably Lyriks, else Pikes or Yari (never had Fox, I've become a creature of habit)
  • Preference for Shimano brakes and gears. I like SRAM gears, but less keen on SRAM brakes, given the choice.
  • Definitely decent wheels, DT Swiss H1700's or HX1501's if at all possible
  • 150mm travel give or take
  • £4,000 all in would be good - would I need to spend more?
Then I found this article:
https://www.mbr.co.uk/buyers_guide/electric-mountain-bikes-348254

This really rated the Vitus E-Sommet VR (10/10) and it was only £3599! Lots of great stuff, like Lyrik forks and DT Swiss wheels, but 170mm fork travel & SRAM brakes and the looks didn't quite do it for me and its out of bloody stock. Like, forever. New 2019's coming into stock in December apparently, bit pricier I think, but still under £4k. Best contender to date though. The same article had the Canyon Spectral:On 8.0 at £4.5k with Fox forks. This looked okay in the yellow, but had a few bits I wasn't sure about like EX8 speed and Fox suspension being the main one. But on looking at the Canyon site I found the 2018 7.0, and my mind was blown:
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/spectral-on/spectral-on-7-0.html

• Stealth black - works for me
  • 150mm travel RS Lyrik
  • DT Swiss H1700 wheels
  • Shimano Steps motor
  • Shimano Zee brakes and SLX/XT gears
  • £3899
  • 27.5 rear/29 front (remember that Fantic?)
I was hard pressed for a reason not to order one, and when the 2019 spec came out, which had SRAM kit and Alex Rims instead of DT Swiss, I began wondering if I was going to miss out if I waited. So I ordered a 2018 model. And immediately ordered some extra bits and bobs to make it mine; lots based on great advice on the Canyon forum on here (E6000 switch, Wolftooth dropper lever (long one)). I've also ordered DMR Death Grips and a 50mm stem.

Anyway, that's how I ended up with a 2018 Canyon Spectral:On 7.0. I still have a bit of physio and recuperation to do before I can ride it, but at least when the day comes I'll have some assistance. Which will come in handy as I live at the top of a pretty steep hill.

Cheers,

Rich.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Brilliant write up Rich. That is pretty much how I go through the decision making process. I say "pretty much" but I have two additional factors:
1) This is such a lot of money that I don't want to risk an internet purchase. I have done it before when I bought a YT Capra and I just about got away with it! I had examined the geometry closely, compared with other bikes I knew fitted me. But I had forgotten to take into account the impact of a steeper seat angle on the distance between the seat and the bars.
2) Unlike you in your present condition, I have the ability to do test rides, so I did lots of them. I had no idea of what impact the motor would have on the ride, none at all. So I was astonished at what I discovered. For me, the Shimano Steps motor is streets ahead and transformed the ride from an eBIke to a fun bike. The way the power was delivered across a range of speeds was significant. The lack of drag even with the motor switched off, and also after the cut off speed was another significant factor. I have some hearing problems at specific frequencies so I am not a reliable judge on what is "quiet", but I found the Shimano Steps to be very good indeed and wayyyyy better than the Bosch!

Despite No1 above, I was seriously hanging my nose over the Canyon. But I went for a Focus Jam2 6.8 NINE in the end.

PS: 100% thumbs up to you in your fight back to fitness. :cool: I would like to think that I too would show similar determination to get back out there, but who knows until it hits you in the face! :eek:

Ron

Patreon
Sep 27, 2018
Campbell, CA USA
Great detail about your decision. Really enjoyed your journey to a decision. Circumstances lead each of us in this direction. You certainly got a lot of bike for the money. I’m relapse on a bone marrow cancer, Multiple Myeloma, and doing all I can at 63 to stay fit and healthy wile starting a new round of treatment. The EMTB has me back into mountain biking and ultimately helps me fight this .
I looked at the Bulls, I looked at Trek, I looked at Giant but could not find a bike I liked in my size. Then my local dealer where I test rode a Kenevo, got a 2019 Levo Comp Carbon in stock and I had to take it, more than I expected to spend but my dealer gave me a discount that helped some. I had never heard about some of these others like Canyon and not sure it is available in the US. After I got my bike my wife got interested and she ended up getting a 2018 Focus Jam2 - this has really been great for our relationship to be able to ride together and have this in common.. I did not catch where you live, but guessing by the fact you quote prices in pounds, I assume somewhere in the UK.
Anyway welcome, Rob and the guys on this Forum are great and very helpful and I have met people to ride with in No. California through the Forum.
Power to the Pedal.

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
Brilliant write up Rich. That is pretty much how I go through the decision making process. I say "pretty much" but I have two additional factors:
1) This is such a lot of money that I don't want to risk an internet purchase. I have done it before when I bought a YT Capra and I just about got away with it! I had examined the geometry closely, compared with other bikes I knew fitted me. But I had forgotten to take into account the impact of a steeper seat angle on the distance between the seat and the bars.

I may well be doing this wrong....but the three things I look at are:
1) Head angle 65 to 67.5, with a preference towards the latter
2) Seat angle around 74/75
3) Reach around 455

The reach on the large is 465, but that's with a 60mm stem, hence the 50mm stem, and my other two bikes have 50mm stems and 450/457 reach, so a 455 fits nicely. On paper. And to be honest, I don't know how much I'd notice other than knowing that my Transition Smuggler at 67.5/74.9/457 is bloody marvellous to ride, when my legs work, so my new Canyon at :
1) 66.8 & 67.6
2) 73.8&74.6
3) 455

Should be perfect. I suspect I should have looked at BB Drop (C33&24 v T35) and Chainstay length (C430 v T436) as well, but the worlds already complicated enough! :)

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
Great detail about your decision. Really enjoyed your journey to a decision. Circumstances lead each of us in this direction. You certainly got a lot of bike for the money. I’m relapse on a bone marrow cancer, Multiple Myeloma, and doing all I can at 63 to stay fit and healthy wile starting a new round of treatment. .

Thanks Ron. Sorry to hear of your health challenges - that really sucks and I hope it all improves for you. Yeah, I'm in the South West of the UK, so Cwmcarn and Bike Park Wales less than an hours drive, FOD a tad longer.

As I said, seems almost hard to buy a bad bike now, which is great. The new Giants look fantastic value for money, but just don't do it for me. A Specialized Levo S-Works 2019 would be lovely, but I'm not sure I could spend more on a bike than I tend to on a car!

I can't wait to be well enough to ride it.

Cheers.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@ Rich_H: That looks like a Large!

I do all that too, so either we are both doing it wrong or we are both doing it right. Guess which I believe is correct? :)

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
Firstly, why an e-bike? I'm 48 and I had a freak accident in June where I destroyed both hips. As at end November I'm now mainly on crutches, but on bad days, or days where a lot of 'walking' would be involved, I resort to a wheelchair. When I was riding I'd ride with various groups and took an awful long time to get fit enough to climb "mid-pack". Given the severe muscle wastage I've suffered (I was completely non weight-bearing for 14 weeks) it's going to take me a long time to get fit again. I always said I'd get one at 50, so its just arrived a little earlier than planned.

I've had a lot of time on my hands to do a lot of keyboard research and have managed to visit half a dozen shops to hear their take on it. It seems that it's getting almost difficult to buy a bad e-bike now, as everything from 2018 on looks cracking and the rate of development is staggering. I enjoyed this article:
https://ebike-mtb.com/en/best-emtb-2018-twelve-dream-bikes-review/
I loved the look of the Fantic, with the 27.5 rear and 29'er front, but the dealer I spoke to said if he ordered me one it might arrive next week or in 6 months, which didn't fill me with confidence.

I was seriously tempted by a 'Bulls E-Core Evo EN Di2', but I've always ridden 130mm'ish bikes, and the numbers 180mm and £6500 both seemed too big for me. I considered the Bulls 'AM RS Di2' at 150mm travel, but at £6500, too much Fox gold for my tastes and no stock in the UK, I ruled it out. Then I considered the cheaper Bulls Ecore Evo AM Di2 at £5500 (incl spare battery) , but it has a Yari fork and Bulls rims, which made me question what I valued and wanted to pay for. Bulls do some great looking bikes, and great specs, but nothing quite ticked my boxes. You can see loads of their bikes here:
https://www.justebikes.co.uk/category/e-mtbs/?swoof=1&pa_brand=bulls&really_curr_tax=17-product_cat

The reviews of the 2019 Levo have been outstanding, but have tended to be of the £6k+ bikes. I have a really helpful Specialized dealer near me, so paid them a visit. Seems the Levo's (all models) are flying out the door and they didn't have one in stock to show me, even the demonstrator was out. They aren't getting any more £4k models in until Feb. I compared all models. If you build up a table and compare the specs, it seems to me that you are paying quite a premium to go up the range (i.e. the additional £1000 doesn't seem to justify the components you are getting) and until you get to the £6k model I felt that the forks were sub-par based on the asking price of the bike (RS Sektor on the £4k model, RS Revelation on the £5k model). This was all helping though, as it was clarifying what I wanted. I priced up buying the £4k Levo, some RS Lyriks, DT Swiss hybrid wheels, Shimano Saint brakes and a budget dropper post and, assuming fitting parts myself, and selling bits removed, I think I'd end up with a really well spec'd Levo for around £5k. Except that I didn't really like the colours of the £4k bikes. My first full-suss bike was a Giant Trance, which I bought because it appeared to be the best bike at my price-point, and as capable as it was, I never really 'loved it'. It was a great bike, but this time round, did i really want to spend £5k on a bicycle and not 'love it'? Onwards....

So more research and reflection on what I wanted, which seemed to be:
  • Not massively bothered on motor, but if nothing else between them I'd probably go for Shimano based both on what I have read, and because I find their higher range kit to be great more often than not (not their hubs though).
  • Not massively bothered on integrated battery either. At first I thought it was a must have, but looking into the pro's and cons of weight higher and further forward, potential added hassle when removing from the bike for charging, and battery size if wanting a spare, this became irrelevant. I.e. I'd be happy either way.
  • Prefer any display to either be small or non-existent. I crash, things break, and I should probably spend more time on looking where I am going!
  • Geometry similar to my Transition Smuggler
  • I'd prefer RockShox Forks, preferably Lyriks, else Pikes or Yari (never had Fox, I've become a creature of habit)
  • Preference for Shimano brakes and gears. I like SRAM gears, but less keen on SRAM brakes, given the choice.
  • Definitely decent wheels, DT Swiss H1700's or HX1501's if at all possible
  • 150mm travel give or take
  • £4,000 all in would be good - would I need to spend more?
Then I found this article:
https://www.mbr.co.uk/buyers_guide/electric-mountain-bikes-348254

This really rated the Vitus E-Sommet VR (10/10) and it was only £3599! Lots of great stuff, like Lyrik forks and DT Swiss wheels, but 170mm fork travel & SRAM brakes and the looks didn't quite do it for me and its out of bloody stock. Like, forever. New 2019's coming into stock in December apparently, bit pricier I think, but still under £4k. Best contender to date though. The same article had the Canyon Spectral:On 8.0 at £4.5k with Fox forks. This looked okay in the yellow, but had a few bits I wasn't sure about like EX8 speed and Fox suspension being the main one. But on looking at the Canyon site I found the 2018 7.0, and my mind was blown:
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/spectral-on/spectral-on-7-0.html

• Stealth black - works for me
  • 150mm travel RS Lyrik
  • DT Swiss H1700 wheels
  • Shimano Steps motor
  • Shimano Zee brakes and SLX/XT gears
  • £3899
  • 27.5 rear/29 front (remember that Fantic?)
I was hard pressed for a reason not to order one, and when the 2019 spec came out, which had SRAM kit and Alex Rims instead of DT Swiss, I began wondering if I was going to miss out if I waited. So I ordered a 2018 model. And immediately ordered some extra bits and bobs to make it mine; lots based on great advice on the Canyon forum on here (E6000 switch, Wolftooth dropper lever (long one)). I've also ordered DMR Death Grips and a 50mm stem.

Anyway, that's how I ended up with a 2018 Canyon Spectral:On 7.0. I still have a bit of physio and recuperation to do before I can ride it, but at least when the day comes I'll have some assistance. Which will come in handy as I live at the top of a pretty steep hill.

Cheers,

Rich.

it really is a cracking bike mate, great post, have you got the bike? or only just ordered it? how long do you think it will be before you can swing a leg over it? as it will be agony having it teasing you in the garage.

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
it really is a cracking bike mate, great post, have you got the bike? or only just ordered it? how long do you think it will be before you can swing a leg over it? as it will be agony having it teasing you in the garage.

It arrives on Tuesday, but its a Christmas present from my wife and kids, so I won't be unboxing it until Boxing Day probably. I have a consultants appointment on the 21st December, so should know more about how tough I'm getting then. I.e. I need to know what would happen if I slid off and landed on either hip; will they explode or take the hit?

I pedal a static bike at physio and its painful and I have a road bike on a turbo-trainer in the garage, but I've only managed two painful ten minute rides so far. Tedious, but it is what it is.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I fractured my ankle, and that was what lead me into looking seriously at EMTB's. and no way I would have been able to get back on an MTB as quickly as I did if it wasn't for getting an EMTB.

At first I could only ride it casually, but it was great for rehabbing as it got me out and about and my joint moving again.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Stick at the trainer bikes, you know it makes sense!

A mate of mine got himself a new knee. While he was still laid in bed in hospital the physio connected him up to what looked a one legged bike. She could adjust the angle to which his knee was bent by altering the stroke of the device. It was powered and forced his leg through the cycling motion. He said even on full strength painkillers it was extremely painful. When he was released he went out on his bike with me. He was so slow I could actually ride circles around him while he pedalled. But that was at first; within six weeks he was really quick! And he recovered full range of movement too!

Stick at it! :)

Jojo10

Sep 27, 2018
Germany
@Rich_H

Right decision. The 2018 7.0 is a very good bike. Never had so much fun on a bike. And it's so playful, strangely.
Must haves:
- E7000 switch
- thumb lever (both already acknowledged from you)
- change resin to metal brake pads. Resin is unbelievable bad in wet conditions.
To personal preference:
- shorter stem (50, 40)
- DHR II front. The grip at light lean angles of the DHF is disappointing.
Luxury updates:
- Debon Air 160mm
- Damping tuning

With this tunings it is an even better bike.

Have fun.

BJep

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Grayshott
Hey Rich I just wanted to add my thanks too to a brilliant write up and a useful summary of articles and observations. I started on the whole e-mtb journey only about 18 months ago and knew nothing about mountain bikes at the start so having spent some time on a tourer e-bike, a hard tail, and now a s/h full suspension Haibike, I am ready to buy my 'dream' e-bike. I have my own wish list :
29er up front, (27.5 or 29 on back)
150ml travel approx
22.5kgs or under, if poss
over 500wh battery- I sometimes ride all day
stealth appearance- I am an old guy and err a 'stolid' rider- bright colours make me feel silly

So I have narrowed it down to:
Turbo Levo 2019- but I'd need to spend £7.25K to get the 700wh battery. And no matter how much I love it all, its hard to make sense of spending that much money

BJep

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Grayshott
But I am very tempted by the Spectral:ON. I'd be sacrificing the battery size (500wh vs 700wh) but the price difference is huge and frankly I think the Spectral stealth looks better than the Turbo Levo (with 700wh)

Does anyone know how long delivery takes to the UK if the bike is 'from stock'?

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
But I am very tempted by the Spectral:ON. I'd be sacrificing the battery size (500wh vs 700wh) but the price difference is huge and frankly I think the Spectral stealth looks better than the Turbo Levo (with 700wh)

Does anyone know how long delivery takes to the UK if the bike is 'from stock'?
I ordered my bike last Tuesday and its being delivered (UK) this Tuesday, so 7 days for an 'in stock' bike. If range is a worry, buy a second battery (which you can order from Canyon at the time you order the bike, around £500, and a dedicated backpack to carry your spare battery (Evoc do a good one for £170 I think) and you're all set. For a 7.0, battery and pack you're looking at £4700 tops, so still great value.

And re range of the Canyon:

Hicksy 92

Nov 23, 2018
Stonesfield Oxfordshire
Welcome , nice little story you tell, good luck on your mend , I’ve been there too 4 months of non weight bare on my right leg , it’s a long time . Your right about e bikes I to think they are all good now it’s all down to price your personal choice and I think even more important now with these bikes is a good solid dealer for back up if needed . All the best Phil

Rich_H

Nov 28, 2018
WSM
So I have narrowed it down to:
Turbo Levo 2019- but I'd need to spend £7.25K to get the 700wh battery. And no matter how much I love it all, its hard to make sense of spending that much money

If you really want the Levo you could buy a lower spec model, spec it up and buy the bigger battery (£700 is it?, but if you bought it with a bike the dealer might give you a discount on the total package?)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles