I want to buy a garmin for my levo

Mrloseth

Mar 7, 2019
norway
Hello.
I want and buy myself a garmin to be used on my levo. 2021
I have looked at 130 + 530/830 and it seems that these should fit nicely on the stem in terms of size.
but I think the price of the mtb bundle at 530/830 is somewhat high. in europe these are at 450-500 € approx,
mainly I was not impressed with the map of 830 think it was too little detailed out on forest roads. and did not like the 530 buttons for select inside the menu,
but as a unit I got a lot of information about the bike and this was fun.
But if I had bought a 130+, will I get a lot of info uploaded inside the app after a trip?

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I use the 130 on my Levo.

There is no difference in Levo data between 130/530/830/1030.....there is quite a lot of data.
I use a 5-cell screen on the 130 while riding, with my HR in the biggest window and then in the 4 smaller windows I have distance, clock, battery/mode and speed.
The HR is broadcasted from my watch.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Don't see what you get in the MTB bundle that you really need.

I don't know what maps you can access for Norway which would be useful, is it just the Garmin Topo ones? I've got an Edge 1000 with full UK 1:25k and the maps are great for exploring as the track detail is pretty good. I don't tend to plan routes, just vaguely aim and check the map for navigation.

As the previous poster says, think the range has similar data. If you don't need or think you'd use mapping, then the smaller ones would be good I'd say.

Mrloseth

Mar 7, 2019
norway
The mtb bundle is mount, a button to change screen and/stop start and soo. And the last one is speedsensor.
I have 2000mm in wheelsize in the app so the bike cuts at 29.2kmt. So my speed show a littl fault, so thats why i thing maybe the speed sensor is good to have for me.
Does the garmin 130 have how faar you have jumped like the 830?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The mtb bundle includes a reverse out front bar mount to sit over the stem. and not a particularly great one at that.
A silicone protective case which you can pick up from Ebay for a couple of quid.
A speed sensor which you don't need unless you're running your bike derestricted.
A bar remote which unless you struggle to ride one handed is just more bar clutter.
530 and 830 are essentially the same but the latter is touch screen. Why you'd want a touch screen unit AND a bar remote I've no idea.
Just a heads up as to whether to buy the stand alo e unit or mtb bundle.

GordS

Jan 10, 2021
Brampton Ontario
I have an 830 I use it between my gravel bike (analog) and Turbo Levo. With the Levo you don't need the power/cadence and speed sensors as the 830 will connect to the Levo's built in sensors. The big plus I find is the Garmin will automatically start your other apps recording like Komoot.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
A speed sensor....really ?
The units uses GPS to measure speed :)
Really.
GPS is far from 100% accurate for real time speed.
The speed sensor is to add accuracy and ensure it stays accurate. Especially when GPS signal is low or blocked (ie. a densely packed forest with steep banks in wet/cloudy conditions).
Super accurate real time speed data is hardly important for the average Ebiker

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I use the 130+ it's a great little thing , got it cheap on a Halfords deal ? easy to upload your rides to Garmin connect and Strava , I have it on my top tube near my seat I don't like a cluttered cockpit ?

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
I *think* the speed sensor isn't for speed over the ground, it's an accelerometer? The unit claims to be able to measure jumps, flow etc.

Seems an odd concept personally, but I guess if people love the normal data, Garmin looked for a way to translate other parts of riding. Disappointed there's no Gnarometer though...

Mrloseth

Mar 7, 2019
norway
A speed sensor....really ?
The units uses GPS to measure speed :)
I tested a garmin 830 to my bike when the bike was in the garage, and the bike was in a bike mount, and i open the mission and garmin together, and the speed on the garmin was readingmfrom the bike. Because the app and garmin was the same.
And i know the mission app is reading wrong because off i have change the wheel size.
When my body installed the speed sensor to his merida ep8 the garmin asked to run the bike a few meters so the fos and speed sensor can calibrate .

but after a ride is there any less data from lower garmin model’s that i can upload to strava and so?

Mrloseth

Mar 7, 2019
norway
Really.
GPS is far from 100% accurate for real time speed.
The speed sensor is to add accuracy and ensure it stays accurate. Especially when GPS signal is low or blocked (ie. a densely packed forest with steep banks in wet/cloudy conditions).
Super accurate real time speed data is hardly important for the average Ebiker
The speed is not so important for me, but i like that the accurasy of how long the run was, and if the speed is more correct the km on the run is mor accurate to.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The speed is not so important for me, but i like that the accurasy of how long the run was, and if the speed is more correct the km on the run is mor accurate to.
Not hugely man.

and TBF who cares if it's a couple of hunderd meters out when you're using a motor anyway?
an Ebike ride is hardly an achievement worth flexing about.

If your bikes's not derestricted the motor's speed sensor data does the same thing as the garmin one.

Mrloseth

Mar 7, 2019
norway
Not hugely man.

and TBF who cares if it's a couple of hunderd meters out when you're using a motor anyway?
an Ebike ride is hardly an achievement worth flexing about.

If your bikes's not derestricted the motor's speed sensor data does the same thing as the garmin one.
But my bike is derestricted a bit.. changed value on the wheel.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
in that case the Garmin will display incorrect speed/distance if you use and view the data via Ebike metrics.
The correct GPS speed/distance will show if you don't link the bike to the garmin or simply record your ride as a non Ebike ride.
The way around this is to fit the garmin speed sensor. which should override the Emtb metric. Certainly does for me. (E8000/Edge530)

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
and Yes. The garmin Speed sensor calibrates wheelsize automatically from GPS when you ride it the first 1/2 mile after connecting it.
choose an open straight flat road for the best accuracy

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Hello.
I want and buy myself a garmin to be used on my levo. 2021
I have looked at 130 + 530/830 and it seems that these should fit nicely on the stem in terms of size.
but I think the price of the mtb bundle at 530/830 is somewhat high. in europe these are at 450-500 € approx,
mainly I was not impressed with the map of 830 think it was too little detailed out on forest roads. and did not like the 530 buttons for select inside the menu,
but as a unit I got a lot of information about the bike and this was fun.
But if I had bought a 130+, will I get a lot of info uploaded inside the app after a trip?

If you can hang on for a month or so, rumours are the 140/540/840 will be released by Garmin ?

Mrloseth

Mar 7, 2019
norway
I see that the garmin 130 plus mtb bundle cost 249€ and the 830 mtb cost 499€But i cant find info if the 130plus will give the info i need.
And i dont know if its worth 250€ to buy the 830 over the 130plus.

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
I am using the 520 plus, I would buy the 530 but not get the mountain bike add stuff. Just need a mount and the 530.

I have cadence, speed, time, heart rate, gear for AXS and ascent on my main screen. I had battery percentage but I lost the feed and haven't messed with it since I lost the data feed.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Thank you :) i think il buy the 830.. expensive. But gues its worth it.
I borrowed my son's 830 to compare with my 130 and glad I got mine. 830 maps useless off road, couldn't change screens easily and it kept telling me to turn round - buttons on the 130 far easier. Once you get to follow downloaded tracks the maps (and elevation) displays work really well. Reviews generally say the 130 is one of the best bug-free Garmins - I haven't got a single issue with mine - it just works. I would imagine the 830 might work much better on road.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I borrowed my son's 830 to compare with my 130 and glad I got mine. 830 maps useless off road, couldn't change screens easily and it kept telling me to turn round - buttons on the 130 far easier. Once you get to follow downloaded tracks the maps (and elevation) displays work really well. Reviews generally say the 130 is one of the best bug-free Garmins - I haven't got a single issue with mine - it just works. I would imagine the 830 might work much better on road.

I have the 130+ and it’s a great little gps device. Shows more than enough info than I need when riding and the breadcrumb trail for following gpx routes is more than sufficient. I like the size of it above anything, small & discreet, tidy

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. I agree.
I don't even look at the maps on my 530 at all. But on my roadbike I have an old Garmin Edge 800 with full european OSM mapping and I do use them and the touchscreen if riding in an unfamilair area. But not enough to warrant the purchase of an 830

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
The only fault with the Garmin 130 is that it does not support Komoot. Komoot is so good when, for example, you drive routes to visit places in the Alps. Otherwise, the 130 is a great device.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
The only fault with the Garmin 130 is that it does not support Komoot. Komoot is so good when, for example, you drive routes to visit places in the Alps. Otherwise, the 130 is a great device.

I must add that I always have my phone with me too for using OS Maps (not much use in the Alps though!) Komoot & Trailforks. The Garmin 130+ is simply a gps tracking device and a quick glance cockpit device for times, directions etc. The phone is either in my pocket or backpack

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
I use Komoot with the 130 because it works well in planning a Tour. Once it's saved in Komoot I download the GPX on the phone and open with Garmin Connect and then save it to Garmin. Then easy to transfer to the 130. Bit convoluted but there may be a quicker way - will have a look at this later.

As @Tubby G says useful to have OS maps as well - Alpinequest works well for me (once you have mastered the learning curve to set it up?)

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Followed these instructions and the course (tour?) I just created on Komoot appeared directly in Garmin Connect so easier than before.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
... the mtb bundle at 530/830 is ...
I bought the 830 MTB bundle
The 830 is fine, but no one needs the bundle

-with the MTB support I could choose between out-of-center or inclined, due to the form of my steering tube.
-the remote is useless, everything is easy on the 830 too.
-you can get the protecting cover on aliexpress too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles