I keep running into rattlesnakes so I bought some snake proof boots

vertrkr

Nov 19, 2021
California
I live in rattlesnake country in my part of California and I seem to encounter them on nearly every ride. I have high anxiety of snakes so much that I quit riding trails during snake season.

That got old pretty quick so I did some research and found some snake proof boots for hot weather. I thought they'd be really awkward but I really don't notice much of a difference from my normal shoes. Now I ride in complete confidence and roll right by them. Yes, I probably look like a total dork but I don't care.

I can hear the Aussie guys in my head saying "that's not a snake, look what we deal with". I admit I'm a scared little chicken.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I think I’d rather just get bitten by a snake and die a horrible slow painful lonely death in the desert somewhere than ride my bike in those 😂

And as Rick says, Sod’s law you’ll defo get bitten in the balls whilst wearing them 😂😂😂

3A35C2CA-274A-476C-8929-0EE617D22122.jpeg

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I feel for snakes and just don't want to hurt them.

Summer is a real bugger here because of the shadows - shadows from branches etc across track at speed; I'm often trying to guess if it is a snake or not.

I have no answers re protection etc, except from the snake's point of view. Where would a snake try to bite this ungainly creature that just ran over it's tail or gave it a fright? I don't think snakes would be aware that it is someone riding a bike - they'd just see it as a whole weird creature. Their eyesight isn't great either.

The good news is if you use aggressive flat pedals you're now covered 😂 - I wear shin pads because the last pedal to the shin I had was a spurter - very disconcerting o_O

Those boots are a novel idea for mtb though; will you continue the theme? :)

stick horse.jpg

Last edited:

vertrkr

Nov 19, 2021
California
Those are some awesome replies. I knew I was setting myself up for a bunch of trash talk but you exceeded my expectations. I already got a bunch of shit from my friends and family. I feel a bit like an elephant afraid of mouse. I'm 6'4", 270 pounds and full of muscle flab.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I live in rattlesnake country in my part of California and I seem to encounter them on nearly every ride. I have high anxiety of snakes so much that I quit riding trails during snake season.

That got old pretty quick so I did some research and found some snake proof boots for hot weather. I thought they'd be really awkward but I really don't notice much of a difference from my normal shoes. Now I ride in complete confidence and roll right by them. Yes, I probably look like a total dork but I don't care.

I can hear the Aussie guys in my head saying "that's not a snake, look what we deal with". I admit I'm a scared little chicken.

snake PROOF boots ?

LaCrosse makes no warranty that its snake boots are impenetrable against every snake bite, as no snake boot is 100% snake proof

( https://support.lacrossefootwear.co...0434-What-is-the-warranty-period-for-my-boots )

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Those are some awesome replies. I knew I was setting myself up for a bunch of trash talk but you exceeded my expectations. I already got a bunch of shit from my friends and family. I feel a bit like an elephant afraid of mouse. I'm 6'4", 270 pounds and full of muscle flab.
..in that case please accept my sincere apologies for any offence caused 😉

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia

Python snack?

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
Great article on the SFGate new website on why California's rattlesnake population is booming. Basically, they like climate change. The warmer the better. You need to disable any ad blockers to read the article.

And yes, I ride in N. Ca and have come across many more rattlesnakes this year. Biggest issue is coming around a corner and riding right over them. I carry a snake bite kit, but the more I read the more you shouldn't use them and just get help as soon as possible. I don't plan to use it unless I am way out of reach of help/Cell Service.

netbeui435

May 22, 2022
Massachusetts. USA

What about using some sort of leg-wrap like the the WWI soldiers wore?. If the leg wrap had some sort of bite-proof properties then you could still wear bike shoes perhaps... sort of like mountaineering gaiters...
Just a thought..
Netbeui

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I've never been attacked by a coyote, eaten my a mountain lion, or bitten by a rattle snake... and we have all of them in SoCal. I don't see snakes every ride, but from spring through fall, it's common enough where I think nothing of it. The only time it's disconcerting is when you look down and notice a rattlesnake right next to your foot, and he's as surprised as you are.

Once in a while snakes are dumbarses, kind of like hikers, and they just sit there in the middle of the trail. Even if I can go around them, I always move the snake off the trail. If they get run over by a bike, they could get hurt. Unlike hikers, snakes' behavior is very predictable. They do not want to bite you. They want to get away from you. Sometimes the younger ones will be confused and afraid, and they won't know what to do, so they take up a defensive posture.

This is a video I shot last summer. The snake didn't know what to do. Eventually I used a stick to pick him up and move him into the bushes. There was no risk from the snake, but I was beginning to worry about my friend who wasn't very happy about my playing with the snake.

Last edited:

beej

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2021
Melbourne, AUS
I can hear the Aussie guys in my head saying "that's not a snake, look what we deal with".
Yeah I regularly cross paths with Eastern Browns and Tigers on my rides during the warmer months down here. Even had a youngling Tiger have a go at my front wheel - the sound of its fangs on my spokes was louder than I'd have imagined. But fear is fear dude - do whatever you need to feel better while riding.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles