Levo Gen 2 Hub problems

stuz graz

Oct 6, 2021
london
I have a specialized turbo levo which i purchased during lockdown last year and rode until july. i purchased probably the last one in the country at the time from tredz online and didnt realise what a bad idea that was at the time. I rode the bike happily until july 2021 and love it but i lost drive. Assumed it was motor belt.

My local bike shop wanted to charge £150 to deal with a possible warranty issue and told me to return to retailer. I contacted tredz and they arranged the return. They advised the motor was fine but it was the hub that failed and a replacement was being sourced. 3 months later the hub has been received but now they say need a new axle as well which seems to be out of stock. It could be months.

I have asked for the bike to be returned so i can sort it out locally. But question is do i need to stick to the
DT Swiss Rear axle aluminium 148 mm 15 / 48.1 mm for BOOST rear hubs. Is there a better alternative or will only this specific part fit the DT Swiss 3-Pawl Freehub Body that is on the bike?

I am quite new to all this and out of my depth. I understand i made a big mistake ordering bike online but at the time it was only option and it has been brilliant. I badly want it back. I have asked Tredz to return it but they are refusing but hopefully we can sort it out with them.

stuz graz

Oct 6, 2021
london
Sorry Tredz say they are waiting on 148x15 size. I can order this from Germany as it is out of stock everywhere in UK. But the bike specification is for 12mm. Do you think this is a mistake? Presumably if the hub has been replaced like for like only a 12mm thru axle would fit it and 15mm would be too large?

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
So is it hub axle that failed or through axle which goes through the hub axle? Which rear DT Swiss hub do you have?

Last edited:

stuz graz

Oct 6, 2021
london
I was told the DT Swiss 3-Pawl Freehub Body Aluminium SRAM XD had failed. This has now arrived. 12mm thru axle was original spec on rear. But today i discovered they have a 148mm x 15mm on order which is again out of stock. They say the bike needs a new axle because of warranty but original was not damaged as far as i know.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I don't think we are on the same page so I'm attaching reference section image of rear boost hub. Purple/blue is freehub body (although not XD but Shimano version in this image). The red part is hub axle which may be the one they need to replace and which is out of stock, it should have 12mm through hole but not sure of outer diameter (its hub specific), but 15mm outer diameter will make walls of the axle very thin (only 1,5mm). Through axle 148x12mm is not seen on this section image but goes throughout the whole hub axle obviously. If you know exact model of rear hub it would be easier to find correct part...

images.jpeg

stuz graz

Oct 6, 2021
london
Thats a big help thank you. I am sure its 12mm thru axle required. I have found these available now within uk. I will get the bike back now and feel better informed to deal with this. Thanks again.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
In 2020 Spesh changed the hub specification in Roval wheels. In 2019 and maybe some early 2020 bikes the rear hub was a Formula Hub. I am not sure spesh has ever announced or advertised specifically but some time during 2020 they started using a hub provided by DT Swiss. It is not a branded DT Swiss hub as such but I believe it is either a DT Swiss 350 or 370 design.

If your freehub collapsed ( presumably due to bearing collapse) it could have been repaired simply by replacing the bearings.....but hey ho...under warranty they have decided to just replace the freehub.

So now to deal with the outstanding issue. A collapsed freehub is also likely to damage the hub axle ( note..hub axle, not the thru axle) since the freehub runs on the axle via 2 bearings. If one of those bearings had collapsed the surface on the hub axle that those bearings need to sit on can also get damaged.

The DT Swiss 350/370 rear boost hub axle is indeed the 15mm/148 they are trying to source.

If you believe you can source that part either from the UK or Europe all you need to do is buy it and give it to the LBS to fit. It means you will end up paying for that part rather than getting it free under warranty but will mean the repair gets done.

stuz graz

Oct 6, 2021
london
Thanks ever so much. I think I understand now. Will double check the part tomorrow before I order it. Cannot thank you enough for explaining this

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles