Howzit guys and girls!

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Finally, in my 50s I decided to go to the dark side and get myself an e-MTB

I have read few posts on this forum, I see that the folk are friendly bunch and willing to share good intel, so I decided to register.

I currently ride a 5-yr old Merida BigNine 500 hard-tail. It served me well, but it’s time to plunge into 3rd decade of the XXI century

On my shortlist is (1) Ducati Mig-S and (2) Santa Cruz.

I have never been on e-MTB... is there something sinister I need to look-out for and avoid?

Any recommendations are welcome!

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
I've had my e-mtb for 11 months/5000km. Best invention ever lol. Buy what you like the look of, what fits you, suits your intended use and if possible from a bike shop nearby as things can go wrong with these bikes. I bought a Rocky Mountain PowerPlay for the above reasons and am impressed with the bike overall. Good luck and welcome :)

speedkills

May 17, 2020
Boulder, CO
Flatslide has the right of it. There are a ton of good bikes out there, buy the one that you just can't stop thinking about.....but that also has a dealer nearby as that's a bit more important with these than your usual bike. I bought a Specialized, I hear they break down every 10 miles or so but there is a dealer every 5 miles usually so it all works out.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
On my shortlist is (1) Ducati Mig-S and (2) Santa Cruz.

I have never been on e-MTB...
The Thok's (Ducati) are really nice bikes. They also have a great reputation for support.

They recently announced the TK01 - limited edition bike which looks quite tasty/well specified - you should buy one and review it ! :)

This might also mean that they're planning a new model down the line, as, like others said, the development cost wouldn't be covered by making 35 bikes. So this could be a stop gap/limited model to re-coup some development funds whilst waiting for the new shimano motor to arrive.

is there something sinister I need to look-out for and avoid?

Beware of over thinking it and sitting on the fence too long ... there's a lot of choice and it's easy to end up procrastinating or worrying you might be the wrong one. Whatever you buy, you'll love it :cool:

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Hmm... good points!

Ducati dealer is in Winchester ~100km. I must check how far is THOC, the OEM.
Other brands are locally represented, which seems to be a major requirement.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Finally, in my 50s I decided to go to the dark side and get myself an e-MTB

I think you mean you have decided to go to the LIGHT side!

I have never been on e-MTB... is there something sinister I need to look-out for and avoid?

Yes, the main sinister thing is that they have an uncanny ability to suck all your money from your bank account, even if you know you can't really afford it.

However, it is impossible to avoid this because as soon as you have tried one you will know that you will not be able to rest until you have bought one.

Do not worry about this as, soon after you have taken delivery of it, you will know that you have done the right thing, and will regard it as being a worthwhile investment in your health and wellbeing for the future.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I ventured out today to my local bike shop and fondle some hardware!

I took Merida with Shimano engine for a ride around car park. Nice acceleration and comfortable ride over the speed-bumps , but the engine cuts-out at 16mph and feels like riding with a handbrake on above 16mph.

Second ride was Focus with Bosch gen 4 b engine. It felt like more powerful engine and more importantly, at 16mph doesn’t just cut out but rather progressively reduce power.

Both bikes had superior ergonomics and trigonometry, in comp to my current analogue Merida. Both were in a range of £4,500, so comparable kit, but neither impressed me to take it off the showroom floor.

The ride also cured me of buying Ducati, as having it limited to 16mph is an oxymoron! I ride faster on my Merida. If I surgically remove the speed limiter, I will lose warranty and considering that e-MTBs need regular services, it is not the smartest idea.

So, I plan to borrow a bike to ride in the Forest and see which one would suit my style.
I am glad that I joined this forum, so I can get all the intel from other riders as well!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles