How much play in a rear Cassette ?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I am trying to trace a noise that has appeared on the bike today, the bike is a 2020 cube stereo 140 hpc, it has 280 miles in total . Up until today the bike has been faultless.
From out the blue a clonk has appeared on every 1 revolution of the crank, its there on every revolution either on or off load motor on or off.

Any way, I have the bike on the work stand and I cannot replicate it while spinning the pedals so have decided to go through the rear drive train just in case the noise is emanating from the rear and being amplified to the crank, everything seems fine although back to my thread title it would seem there is a fair bit of play in the rear cassette, its a 12 speed sram unit.

No back and forth play just side to side wobble, its enough to transmit through the wheel and make a noise, it spins smooth , should there be side to side wobble?

I have my doubts this is the noise I am hearing coming from the crank on every one revolution but while its in bits its worth asking.
On a side note can I buy the hub ring locker socket from somewhere like Halfords or are they special order only tools, while its out its worth undoing the thing, cleaning and re tightening to the correct torque.

Last edited:

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I popped into the bike shop today to get the locking tool for the rear cassette , there must be a bit of side to side play built into the cassette and hub assembly because its inherent on brand new bikes they have in stock, I guess it allows for easy chain engage .

Mines all built back up and cleaned but nothing obviously wrong. The only thing I can possibly think maybe the issue of the clonk was a nipped up pedal but by no means tight. Will give it a ride tomorrow and hope that is the culprit .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles