Survey: How much rear travel is best?

How much rear travel is best for Ebikes?

• 130mm - I like to feel the terrain

• 140mm - 5.511 inches in english units

• 150mm - This is plenty and still corners good

• 160mm - seems good

• 170mm - A little more, a little plusher

• 180mm - why don't more ebikes do this, you have a motor!

• 190mm - Who even makes this?

• 200mm - it's still 4 inches less than a KTM

Results are only viewable after voting.

mark4444

Jan 12, 2021
LA
Let's see what the current consensus is on the optimum amount of rear travel. Also this time I checked the box that makes you vote to see the results. Pick what you would want on your current or next ebike.

mark4444

Jan 12, 2021
LA
True, but could also just be personal opinion... because what feels good rides good.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought a 140mm travel FS mtb after I had had several years of a 150mm travel FS. Similar spec otherwise. The lower travel bike performed far better and felt like it had more travel than the previous bike. Then I bought a 130mm travel FS and the same thing happened again! I'm fairly sure that in each case the difference was due to geometry and a stiffer frame.

But I'm riding a 150 FS emtb now and I'd get the same again, maybe 160 but no bigger. So I ticked your 150 box. However I am not happy with the "best" angle. A simple "what do you have" would probably have been better.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The amount of suspension travel cannot be separated from frame design. That is not to say designers necessarily get it right. I think the Levo is a classic example as far as fork travel is concerned. I changed from 150 to 160mm forks and the bike was an instant improvement...some of that due to a better quality fork no doubt but the extra travel certainly made a difference. As far as shock travel is concerned it makes sense to me for it to be the same as or possibly a little less than the fork travel in order to achieve a front to back balance. That argument of course falls apart as far as hard tails are concerned!! Glad I just ride them rather than worry about design!!

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
I guess it depends on the kinematics of the suspension platform. Yes, more travel can allow greater confidence in rougher terrain but you'd be surprised what a short travel 29er is capable of. Not to mention, there are some hardtails out there which have proven themselves to be very versatile.

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
I think 150-160 is still quite versatile. I ordered a bike with 180 fork and 170mm rear however to try something different over my 2018 commencal meta power 29 (150/140mm stock: I over forked to 170mm tho). I do have access to fairly steep and chunky terrain.

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
160 +/- 10

Been contemplating between a Forestal Siryon (170) and Marin Alpine Trail E2 (150) as an upgrade. Travel really isn't a deciding factor between them. Leaning on the Marin. Upgrading from a 140mm ebike... wanted a longer WB, shorter CS, steeper STA, shorter ST, more range, a more reliable/tougher build, and a more normal look. Vitus E-Sommet, Whyte's lineup, and Privateer would interest me if I were in the UK. Among the choices Whyte has, I wouldn't lean on the smaller/shorter options.

mark4444

Jan 12, 2021
LA
I've been on 170mm rear, 200 up front, we have some very rough 4 to 5 min tracks around here. Going with the bigger fork up front, made a big difference on tech climbs... they got a bit harder. And the downhill got a little easier.... As you would expect I guess.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles