How much is my bike worth?

Jimmi

Jun 25, 2018
Harefield
Hi guys, I’m looking to sell my 2017 Turbo Levo HT Comp 6 Fattie, it’s in very good original condition with light use approx 500km and battery health is 100%. I broke my wrist and elbow at work and now have lots of metal work in my arm. Since my accident I’m too paranoid to do any mtbing so just stick to a bit of gravel and towpaths now on my regular bike. I don’t really want to put it on eBay as I’ve had some bad experiences selling on there. But I literally have no idea how to price it.
Cheers
Jim

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
If it were an asset in a business, it would likely be written down at 2% per month from the price you paid. Prevailing market conditions and asset condition would determine if you win or lose against the depreciated value at the point of sale.
Bikes are in short supply so you could be lucky.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The rule of thumb I used when selling my analogue bikes was 30% annual depreciation from what you paid, and not the max rrp. Forget all the golden goodies you have added, that just makes it sell quicker. At worst those golden goodies make the bike harder to sell because it's not standard! What is also good is a record of maintenance, i suspension services, brake pads changes and so forth. The buyer wants to feel that they will not have to spend any money any time soon. Anything you can do to convince them that this bike is genuine and safe is good.

I have never had to sell an emtb before, so I too will be in new territory. From what I've read, the life of the battery will be a big issue, so any printouts or reports from the dealer that deals with battery condition will be good. Ask yourself "what would I want to see to make me want to buy this bike?" The battery is a large depreciating asset, in that after a certain length of time, you know that you will have to buy a new one. Yes, I know cassettes are like that, but they are not £600. So, I am also guessing that the bike will depreciate faster than 30% until you can say it actually has a new battery, in which case it will rocket in value, but I guess not by the cost of the battery! But at least you will sell the bike.

Selling a bike is such a heartache! I'm hoping that my grandson will be big enough to ride it by the time I need a new emtb.
He will be lucky that Xmas! :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
somewhere between 1500 and 2k spending on condition, mileage and having all the original paperwork - the fact its a specilized and the brand recognition will make it easier to sell, and everyone and their do seems to be in the market for an ebike at the moment.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I would not give you much but markets differ from area to area. Early june here the demand was crazy now we have less demand.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I would ask myself do I really need or want to sell it even if it's not used that much . It will last long enough and you don't need to do any serious biking on it. I was selling Nicolai 2014 I've hardly used since I got ebike but had a few problems with Levo recently so I decided to keep it.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
It must be worth £2500+. Be very careful how you advertise it and be sure the pictures don't give away it's location. It sounds overly paranoid but I've had a couple close calls selling Mx and enduro bikes

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
One important point that hasn't been mentioned is warranty coverage. eMTBs are more prone to expensive warranty issues than regular MTBs, so someone buying a used eMTB that is out of warranty will be "flying without a net", and the price will reflect that. Not only is there a risk of an expensive repair, there's a risk of no parts being available for older models. For this reason, I think used eMTBs will have a price "cliff" after they are 3-4 years old. Just my POV.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I agree i have no problem buying a bike that is 4 or 7 years old but the price need to be low
if i buy an Ebike that is more than 2 years old.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
I’ve been watching eBay this last week as there is a bike identical to mine plus a couple virtually the same spec.

December last year I paid £6500 second hand, a saving of £1500 on new. It was a year old.

The three bikes I’m monitoring are all at £5500.

I guess having three up for sale at the same time doesn’t help any seller.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I’ve been watching eBay this last week as there is a bike identical to mine plus a couple virtually the same spec.

December last year I paid £6500 second hand, a saving of £1500 on new. It was a year old.

The three bikes I’m monitoring are all at £5500.

I guess having three up for sale at the same time doesn’t help any seller.
We cannot look at used prices as being normal. Around here we say there is a covid taxe on used bikes.
The demand is so high and the delays for a new bike are so long. Last July i paid 4,000 for a 2020 well
this june i sold it for 3,900. Usualy i might have gotten 2,800. Same thing i just bought a new 2021 and i
am sure with the 2022 higher price next june i will get 100% back.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles