How much are used bikes worth?

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I'd say it is plug and play, you just need to replace a lot of stuff, or perhaps if you're lucky add a number of wiring convertors. As far as i can ascertain, the main battery motor cable is the same. You'd need new speed sensor, motor to display cable, display and switch. If you replace all the bits it's plug and play! RRP on that is probably another £300 on top of the motor cost.
Has that been confirmed anywhere? I thought all the cable connectors were the same but in different locations? May have got that very wrong though!

I would like to upgrade from my E7000 at some point, so hoping they start to sell it as a seperate item soon.

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
Just because they use the same bolt holes and positioning does not make them a plug and play replacement. The wiring harness, the connectors and much more are all very different. It is possible, someone on here has done it, but it is very far from "plug and play". We all wish it was!

It does concern me and if it proves to be correct it would make me think twice about upgrading to the ep8. Vehicle manufacturers are obliged to carry on producing spares for a certain amount time after a model is discontinued. Polaris who produce motorcycles and various other leisure vehicles dropped the "Victory" brand of motorcycle but are still making spares for 10 years. So I'd like to think Shimano would do something along the same lines

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
Suffice it say MTB's and eMTB's are the worst investment you can make and one of the issue I have with the whole industry. Everyone wants newer/better and your 2 or 3 year old bike will be lucky to bring 50% IMO.
Haha...try buying a new trials bike and see him much it's worth 5 minutes after riding through your first section. DAMHIK

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It does concern me and if it proves to be correct it would make me think twice about upgrading to the ep8. Vehicle manufacturers are obliged to carry on producing spares for a certain amount time after a model is discontinued. Polaris who produce motorcycles and various other leisure vehicles dropped the "Victory" brand of motorcycle but are still making spares for 10 years. So I'd like to think Shimano would do something along the same lines
So would I! (my red text) So why won't they just say so! :mad:

I can imagine that any one of us writing to Shimano will get either no reply or a meaningless one. But magazines or high circulation websites can surely expect to get an answer, otherwise they will be expecting to see negative coverage of the type... "We asked Shimano this, but they refused to answer. You should make your own mind up on which motor to buy."

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
So would I! (my red text) So why won't they just say so! :mad:

I can imagine that any one of us writing to Shimano will get either no reply or a meaningless one. But magazines or high circulation websites can surely expect to get an answer, otherwise they will be expecting to see negative coverage of the type... "We asked Shimano this, but they refused to answer. You should make your own mind up on which motor to buy."

@Rob Rides EMTB - can you ping your Shimano contact(s) to see if they have formulated an official policy on how long they'll have parts available for E8000 drive systems?

Dave_h34

May 20, 2019
Warwick
Has that been confirmed anywhere? I thought all the cable connectors were the same but in different locations? May have got that very wrong though!

I would like to upgrade from my E7000 at some point, so hoping they start to sell it as a seperate item soon.

I've definitely seen it, somewhere on this forum I think, and there's also info contained in here: Connections have changed, but adapters will be available, though it's not clear on cross compatibility i.e. can you use existing speed sensor with adapter plug or not. My guess, and it is an armchair warrior guess, is old speed sensor OK but needs adapter, old main loom battery motor cable OK, new comms cable required between motor and display (higher data rate referenced in video), new display required, old switch OK with adapter.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles