Turbo mode, how much do you use it?

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Saw this EMBN video today. I'll use Turbo for giggles when I can, not all the time though. How often do you lot ride in Turbo?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
some rides the whole ride, others not at all.
A lot of Embn's advice is utter nonsense. Especially Jonesey's. Use boost whenever you want if you have enough battery. it's your bike.

Last edited:

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
These mags & online stuff, they have to publish stuff to sell there wares, and have to come up with stories and editorials etc.
Most of the time my rides are around 35 miles, so only use it for the steep hills and the occasional fun and smiles..

but as Gary says "it's your bike" so you can do what you want

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
The levo and kenevo both go into thermo protection mode after 10 min on a 75 deg day, and it reduces power, i would think that if your constantly going into thermo protection the motor be slowly breaking down from heat. But how much heat does it see i haven’t tested and i don’t know the temp specs they will withstand in comparison to when the thermo protection depower scale.
So is it depowerinf well bellow thermo damage occur’s or is it right at the threshold of failure??
I can’t get that info from Brose.
The other factor is all the blue tooth tuning does any of that throttle back the thermo safety??

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
My daily ride is an average 17 miles which I do in about an hour 100% on Turbo - if I go for longer rides I economise a bit more to get the most out of the battery...

See here

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
with all the apps available for the specialized i would push for the app developers to tap into thermo sensor and monitor it. Without a display you can’t see it but if you could record it or see peak numbers you could then analyze your ride and ambient temp and figure what is safe, how long you can run hard and not go into thermo protection. I know for 2019 they have added a heat sink to the motor to help the problem.
I know of 4 people in last 6 months that have had a motor failure in there levo or kenevo, but i also know that all 4 where hacked and no assist limits. I see temp gauges in ebike future.
I put a temp strip on my bulls and on a 100 deg day climed 4 miles on a 8% grade and noticed a significant reduction in power by time i got to top. After pulling side cover the temp strip showed 210 deg, that’s pretty hot for the alum side cover of the motor. I do not have any info on how much heat they can withstand without thermo breakdown.
I’m not positive but my bulls has 1200-1500 miles on it and it’s brose T drive. I have not done the temp check on my Fantic as i have only felt it reduce power once. But it has the S drive and i don’t use high power as often as it’s noticeabley more power then T drive.

Jrwilliams7

Sep 15, 2018
California
I went for a 45 minute blast today. Majority in Turbo. Had loads of battery and not a lot of time. Got a good workout too.
What Rob said.

If I’m short on time or need to just get out and mash it hard Turbo all the way. Other than that I ride at 50% for a bit of a push up hill. But there is no set rule do what ever makes you smile the most ?

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
with all the apps available for the specialized i would push for the app developers to tap into thermo sensor and monitor it. Without a display you can’t see it but if you could record it or see peak numbers you could then analyze your ride and ambient temp and figure what is safe, how long you can run hard and not go into thermo protection. I know for 2019 they have added a heat sink to the motor to help the problem.
I know of 4 people in last 6 months that have had a motor failure in there levo or kenevo, but i also know that all 4 where hacked and no assist limits. I see temp gauges in ebike future.
I put a temp strip on my bulls and on a 100 deg day climed 4 miles on a 8% grade and noticed a significant reduction in power by time i got to top. After pulling side cover the temp strip showed 210 deg, that’s pretty hot for the alum side cover of the motor. I do not have any info on how much heat they can withstand without thermo breakdown.
I’m not positive but my bulls has 1200-1500 miles on it and it’s brose T drive. I have not done the temp check on my Fantic as i have only felt it reduce power once. But it has the S drive and i don’t use high power as often as it’s noticeabley more power then T drive.
Hi Tim, Blevo already does this and also the Battery temperature ?

See my screenshot below

FD9E3635-2BED-49AF-B7E0-9F6C18CC0474.jpeg

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
The levo and kenevo both go into thermo protection mode after 10 min on a 75 deg day, and it reduces power, i would think that if your constantly going into thermo protection the motor be slowly breaking down from heat. But how much heat does it see i haven’t tested and i don’t know the temp specs they will withstand in comparison to when the thermo protection depower scale.
So is it depowerinf well bellow thermo damage occur’s or is it right at the threshold of failure??
I can’t get that info from Brose.
The other factor is all the blue tooth tuning does any of that throttle back the thermo safety??

Not sure where you are getting your figures from Tim but on a 75 degFh day my motor runs quite happily between 30 degC - 86 degFh and 42 degC - 108degFh and higher without losing any power.

I know I am not losing any power as the maximum power output is constantly being displayed ‘live’ on my display on my ride. I have a 1.2 motor and this pushes out between 640-680 Watts while I am riding in Turbo mode. The 1.3 motor, I have seen screen shots from the other forum members of between 720-780 Watts.

The only time I ever see my max output power going down is when I am riding my bike on Turbo and the battery level drops under the 40% mark.

This is why I find Blevo soooooo good, it pumps out all this, and for me, really useful info and loads more.

I need to do some more testing on this so I can capture more accurate info for you.

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
What is the safe upper limit anyone knows?
Does the display temp boxes change colour when is getting near the upper limit?
Not sure what the upper limit is, but.... @Specialized Rider Care may be able to assist us with the answer to this question?

I have seen 49 deg Celcius and it has not changed colour. I know if @PaoloBLEvo was aware of the limit he would be able to get the display to show amber and red as he already does this already on other outputs. ?

starsailor

Oct 2, 2018
cro
I am driving usually on sport mode on my wheeler yamaha 500wh.. on turbo just on dangerous roads with fast cars speed..
IMG-ab5f2966e0e0c8c4db728c340d1067e7-V.jpeg

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
all levo motors are fitted with a heat sink well at least the alloy frame ones are there is a thermal pad in contact between frame and motor.
I monitor my battrey temp and motor temp with BLevo but I can say I have never seen very high numbers and I can say I have not noticed any power drop, well maybe a little but almost unoticable unless the are watching the BLEvo display for motor output
there is a lot of nonsense talked about bluetooth apps and what they can and cant do
what they cant do is increase motor power and lets remenber the restrict threshold is different from country to country, the highest I believe in New Zealand so if spesh deem it ok to run the cutoff point higher there why is it not ok from a motor manegment point of view elsewhere!

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Can
Not sure where you are getting your figures from Tim but on a 75 degFh day my motor runs quite happily between 30 degC - 86 degFh and 42 degC - 108degFh and higher without losing any power.

I know I am not losing any power as the maximum power output is constantly being displayed ‘live’ on my display on my ride. I have a 1.2 motor and this pushes out between 640-680 Watts while I am riding in Turbo mode. The 1.3 motor, I have seen screen shots from the other forum members of between 720-780 Watts.

The only time I ever see my max output power going down is when I am riding my bike on Turbo and the battery level drops under the 40% mark.

This is why I find Blevo soooooo good, it pumps out all this, and for me, really useful info and loads more.

I need to do some more testing on this so I can capture more accurate info for you.
can you do a climb that is over 8 min long on a grade where u climb more then 500ft in a mile. After you have done a few miles in turbo mode.
I will get the blevo app and see if i can connect to one of my riding friends bike and see what is throttling back here bikes

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Can

can you do a climb that is over 8 min long on a grade where u climb more then 500ft in a mile. After you have done a few miles in turbo mode.
I will get the blevo app and see if i can connect to one of my riding friends bike and see what is throttling back here bikes

It would be better to do it in your conditions as it is a lot cooler here. However, I will still do the test here in Wales? There are plenty of hills to climb so I will report back once done.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
all levo motors are fitted with a heat sink well at least the alloy frame ones are there is a thermal pad in contact between frame and motor.
I monitor my battrey temp and motor temp with BLevo but I can say I have never seen very high numbers and I can say I have not noticed any power drop, well maybe a little but almost unoticable unless the are watching the BLEvo display for motor output
there is a lot of nonsense talked about bluetooth apps and what they can and cant do
what they cant do is increase motor power and lets remenber the restrict threshold is different from country to country, the highest I believe in New Zealand so if spesh deem it ok to run the cutoff point higher there why is it not ok from a motor manegment point of view elsewhere!
I think everyone i know that is throttling back is hacked in some way, they all don’t have speed cuts. There no speed related assist cutoff.

Flogbox

Sep 25, 2018
Sass81sass81
I did some long shuttling in boost yesterday.

I have the 2019 Merida 900e (shimano motor).

In boost each shuttle up took me 13mins, roughly 15mins down then back on boost to shuttle up again. I did 4 back to back runs in 24c weather all on boost and i did not get any cut-off or heat warning.

Each shuttle up and run down was consuming a bar on the battery. However, i wouldn't start a 5th run on 1 bar left and tempt fate running out lol. I have 2 batteries so i just switch and it's not a problem :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The external batteries such as the Shimano on the miranda are much more efficient in terms of cooling, so it doesn't appear to be an issue.

Injidup

Oct 2, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
There’s a short but steep gravelly climb on a regional trail* that I do on my regular full sus bike in the lowest gear and it’s hard work. Today I tried it on my Bold2 and it was easy even in Eco mode. I switched to Boost and it was incredible. I’m loving this EMTB lark!

*The Munda Biddi Trail, longest in the world apparently!
Munda Biddi Trail - Wikipedia

Draco

Jul 31, 2018
Vancouver BC
Only to get up the huge hills on the way home from work, keep it in eco almost always in the city and get a killer workout.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
Generally use trail for most trail centres but always aim to run it pretty much flat in whatever time ai have available.so sometimes this varies. Conversely at Swinley I always use Turbo throughout as like to moto the flat bits for a work out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles