• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

How do you lube the chain???

Natch

Feb 10, 2024
Oregon
Alright, I'm a complete e-bike noob and I know this is a dumb question so I'm fully prepared to get my butt roasted...

How do you lube the chain? On every other bike I spin the crank backwards and drip lube onto the chain as it moves along. On my e-bike the cranks spin backwards but the chain just sits there. There must be a simple way.

[flame suit on]

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I usually have the bike suspended in the stand. I reference the chain link towards the lower guide wheel and begin dribbling chain oil, then I rotate the chain and begin oiling the next section. I continue until all the chain rollers are lightly covered.

Then I look for someone not wearing a flame 🔥 suit. 😉

Natch

Feb 10, 2024
Oregon
I usually have the bike suspended in the stand. I reference the chain link towards the lower guide wheel and begin dribbling chain oil, then I rotate the chain and begin oiling the next section. I continue until all the chain rollers are lightly covered.

Then I look for someone not wearing a flame 🔥 suit. 😉
Let's say you're at the trailhead or somewhere there's not a handy work stand. Do you turn the bike upside down then forward pedal?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
We have one of these which works fine for lubing and cleaning.

Screenshot_20240223_054908_Chrome~2.jpg

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Let's say you're at the trailhead or somewhere there's not a handy work stand. Do you turn the bike upside down then forward pedal?

No. You can stick an Allen wrench in your chainring bolt, and then roll your pedals backwards. I have a special tool for the purpose, but an Allen wrench is easier and quicker.

DMS2610

Jul 27, 2020
Lichfield UK
In the stand, I put mine in a low gear and hold walk mode with the lube nozzle touching the chain. Chain rotates nicely and picks up the lube. I don’t lube the chain unless I clean it first tbh, otherwise you are carrying dirt in so I do t lube on the trail

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Turn the drivetrain backwards by holding the actual chainring not the pedals. Or carry a large releasable cable tie to put round the crank and chainring . . or a bit of string . . . shoelace . . . etc

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
Alright, I'm a complete e-bike noob and I know this is a dumb question so I'm fully prepared to get my butt roasted...

How do you lube the chain? On every other bike I spin the crank backwards and drip lube onto the chain as it moves along. On my e-bike the cranks spin backwards but the chain just sits there. There must be a simple way.

[flame suit on]
Zip tie your crank to thr chaining.
5mm Allen key in chainring bolt.

Yep ether will work.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles