• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Wet vs dry lube for dusty/stoney and wet area

CocoPlops

Jun 19, 2022
Kinlochleven
Looking for help if possible 😁

Long story short.

Took my bike in to get the back wheel sorted today and it was discovered my chain was needing replaced… unfortunately my bike has only done 400 odd miles😓 can average from 1500-4000 in ascents.

Some minor damage to the cassette so he said I didn’t have a lot to worry about.

He asked if I used dry or wet lube I said wet as I live in an extremely rainy / dusty / stone ridden area so he advised me going forward to use dry lube and clean / lube often. Pretty much cleaned the bike after every two rides or went it looked dirty.

Been using Muc off wet lube.

What’s the thoughts on going dry vs wet?

I would put the chain wear down to user error so I have to take the on the chin 😓 I don’t feel like I need to hit the low gears often, usually sit around the middle

thanks in advance

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Wet lube in any dusty conditions will grab all that dust. Dry lube in wet conditions will wash off relatively easilly. So if you have both sets of conditions on the same ride there is no complete solution..........except perhaps to do both!
In the summer, after stripping/cleaning the chain I use wet lube, leave for a few minutes then wipe off any surface oil on the chain and jockey wheels and chainwheel.........then apply dry lube. ( Some of the EWS bike mechs do this). In Winter I just use wet lube.

If the chain stays pretty clean after a ride in summer I wipe it down and re lube with dry lube...........once or twice, then after the 3rd ride I strip the chain ( ie use degreaser) and start again. Similar routine in winter except I just use wet lube.

It is also good to check the chain every couple of rides for wear with a chain checker. I let my chain get to 0.5% and when it gets to that I check it more often so as not to allow it to go over 0.75% and usually change it before it gets to that. A chain ( GX) typically lasts me 600 miles on that basis and a cassette lasts 3 chains, albeit the 3rd often needs a bit of running in before it behaves on the most used cogs.

One thing I did experience recently, possibly because of the unusually hot summer we just had, was that repeated dry lube treatments started clogging the chain.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Wet lube in any dusty conditions will grab all that dust. Dry lube in wet conditions will wash off relatively easilly.

^^^This.
I ride almost exclusively in dry, dusty conditions. I use a wax-based chain lubricant. My last chain got changed at 966 miles, not because it was outside spec, but because I figured it was a good time. I'll reinstall the used one when the new chain approaches its end-of-life.

I'm happy with my chain longevity. I NEVER clean the chain. I wipe it with a rag after EVERY ride, then apply new wax lube. EVERY RIDE.

Much of the wear on an exposed roller chain isn't from the metal parts rubbing one another. Most wear is from dirt particles getting in there, and acting like an abrasive, just like sandpaper. In my area, wet lube attracts the dust and creates an abrasive slurry that grinds away on the chain. The wax tube forms a semi-solid barrier that prevents dirt from working its way into the chain.

If you ride in wet conditions, I have no clue what you should do.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles