• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Should I be using "E-Bike Specific" chain lubes in 2023? Or waste of money?

BaconStripAid

Aug 24, 2023
England
Hello, after recently picking up my first e-bike, should I be heading out to replace my existing arsenal of chain lubricants with one of the many increasing "E-Bike Specific" options? Obviously looking for something eco friendly. I had an email a while back from a certain company that said it's a must... but they have been known to fabricate the truth in the past. Any thoughts? Thanks

wenna

Aug 1, 2023
Sweden
Hello, after recently picking up my first e-bike, should I be heading out to replace my existing arsenal of chain lubricants with one of the many increasing "E-Bike Specific" options? Obviously looking for something eco friendly. I had an email a while back from a certain company that said it's a must... but they have been known to fabricate the truth in the past. Any thoughts? Thanks
Ask that company if they think you also should have it repainted with ebike specific paint. 😉

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK

The way I look at it, some non E-bike riders can put out more than 250w with their legs and lungs, so no I don’t think it is a requirement.

No need to throw out your old lubes, IMHO.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
The way I look at it, some non E-bike riders can put out more than 250w with their legs and lungs, so no I don’t think it is a requirement.

No need to throw out your old lubes, IMHO.
The motors gives more then 250 w. 250 w is the nominal wattage. I believe a bosch gen 4 cx for example, can give around 800 watts peak power

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I've been using this wax.
20230824_184119.jpg
It's by far the best I've used yet.
Last long in wet and dry, doesn't make a messy drivetrain

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
The motors gives more then 250 w. 250 w is the nominal wattage. I believe a bosch gen 4 cx for example, can give around 800 watts peak power
I don’t doubt it, just as Mark Cavendish can put out 1600w peak, I doubt he’s using E-bike lube though?

Is there a difference between ‘standard’ and E-bike lube? Probably.

Will a mere mortal notice it outside of a lab? Probably not.

I wouldn’t be throwing out my existing chain lube for something else, but that’s just me. That’s if I remember to clean and lube the chain anyway! 😂

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
25 years ago I bought a 4 ltr of chainsaw chain bar lube for $20. I've been using that since. I still have 2ltrs left. I'm going to get 50 years use out of my $20.

That's $0.40 per year of chain lubing.

Also I was 20 years ahead of my time because I've been using a lube designed for motors chains on non motorised chains for 25 years. I now get to use the lube for fir a motorised chain woohoo.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I don’t doubt it, just as Mark Cavendish can put out 1600w peak, I doubt he’s using E-bike lube though?

Is there a difference between ‘standard’ and E-bike lube? Probably.

Will a mere mortal notice it outside of a lab? Probably not.

I wouldn’t be throwing out my existing chain lube for something else, but that’s just me. That’s if I remember to clean and lube the chain anyway! 😂
I don't say you should.
Also the comparison you make of Cavendish pushing 1600w vs an ebike is not relevant. He is a professional road cyclist that doesnt ride in mud , sand etc...

The wax i use cost around 14 euros, keeps the drivetrain clean and keeps the wear of my drivetrain component's lower.

I can only speak for myself that my components will last significantly longer( more the 2 times) than any other I've got laying around on my shelf(including ebike lubes)

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I don't say you should.
Also the comparison you make of Cavendish pushing 1600w vs an ebike is not relevant. He is a professional road cyclist that doesnt ride in mud , sand etc...

The wax i use cost around 14 euros, keeps the drivetrain clean and keeps the wear of my drivetrain component's lower.

I can only speak for myself that my components will last significantly longer( more the 2 times) than any other I've got laying around on my shelf(including ebike lubes)

I’m not sure what your point is now, other than we’re in agreement?! 🤷‍♂️

Your non E-bike specific chain wax seems to work fine for you, so the answer to the OPs question of whether they should get E-mtb specific chain lube is ‘no’.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hell no! Stick with what you have.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I suppose sometimes I’m the victim of marketing BS. “E” specific claims make me laugh but I try to do my own research if I can justify testing and cost $$. I think I can see past the E-Bike Specific sticker that manufacturers slap on their products.

This guy seems to have a decent review for this chain lube product. I also like the idea of chainsaw chain oil.

And then I become a garage chemist and develop a multipurpose concoction that I use for installing tires and cleaning chain and drivetrains.

IMG_6191.jpeg

NoMaas

Jul 28, 2023
Fruita, CO
I suppose sometimes I’m the victim of marketing BS. “E” specific claims make me laugh but I try to do my own research if I can justify testing and cost $$. I think I can see past the E-Bike Specific sticker that manufacturers slap on their products.

This guy seems to have a decent review for this chain lube product. I also like the idea of chainsaw chain oil.

And then I become a garage chemist and develop a multipurpose concoction that I use for installing tires and cleaning chain and drivetrains.

View attachment 123292
Yep, I’ve got the same bottle minus the E-Bike labeling; I’ll get that sharpied on the bottle pronto so I wont damage my e-bike motor, e-bike chain, e-bike paint or e-bike shammy.

Dawn and water basic garage cleaner for everything
Spray Dawn/water mixture on rage with lemon Pledge to make things shiny
Dawn/water/denature alcohol for quick drying cleaner
Dawn/water/ammonia for window cleaner (even looks like windex)

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Yep, I’ve got the same bottle minus the E-Bike labeling; I’ll get that sharpied on the bottle pronto so I wont damage my e-bike motor, e-bike chain, e-bike paint or e-bike shammy.

Dawn and water basic garage cleaner for everything
Spray Dawn/water mixture on rage with lemon Pledge to make things shiny
Dawn/water/denature alcohol for quick drying cleaner
Dawn/water/ammonia for window cleaner (even looks like windex)
Dawn dishsoap. I won’t disclose the specific formula that I’ve developed(it’s secret) but it’s close to 7.314 parts water to 1 part dish soap.

There’s probably more homemade things that work just fine. 👍🏻

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Silca has a new e-bike lube that’s supposed to be really good. It’s the only wet lube to ever score a 0% wear block in Zero Friction Cycling’s testing. It’s expensive though, like £30 for a 2oz bottle. I hot wax my chains but before that I was using Rex Black Diamond, they’ve also come out with an e-bike specific lube. The Black Diamond lube was really good so I would imagine the e-bike lube is good too. There’s only 1 supplier of Rex in the UK though and it’s not as known here.

gsum

Jul 31, 2021
Lake District
I've tried everything except wax over the years.
Worst by far - silicone (clogs your chain and hard to remove).
Harmless but mostly useless - wet/dry lube (clogs/washes off too easily respectively).
Best overall on a cleaned chain dried with a water dispersant - 3 in 1 Oil.

El Grifo

Apr 4, 2023
Islas Canarias
Tried both wet and dry lube on the chain on my EMTB. Both messy and not so effective and makes the job of cleaning the chain a real pig !
Now only use Cerawax which is clean an makes the chain easy to maintain.
Much easier to clean and re-apply also !!

El G

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles