Hit the limiter...strange drag?

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
Gotcha - thanks. I think the solution to the drag is cadence; keep the pedals spinning at what (initially) feels too low and I’ve found you increase speed but minimise the ‘drag’.
On my acoustic Orbea I have my sag set at 30% f/r, but with 150mm of travel on the front I rarely, if ever, blaze through the full limit around the Surrey Hills. I think that’s happened just once on the rear.

I have double-checked the 160 and it definitely has 30% sag f/r. The suspension feels far less plush than the acoustic, but the cornering grip is astonishing and there’s no sense of diving...just no travel left either end.
I think the megneg is something I will explore and maybe +2 tokens up front.
I am running 3 tokens in the Zebb. that has enabled me to drop the fork pressure 10psi. I'm now getting a more progressive feel to the shock - more supple initially and then ramping up as I get down to the end of the travel. I had my doubts before I tried it, but the improvement was obvious as soon as I rode it.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
What’s your weight??

I’d have to know the total volume and volume of each spacer. But I’d guess that you will only gain tiny bump compliance. Because it ramps up so much faster. I’d say 100 psi gives your fork 100lbs force resistance for the first 10% of travel then the 3 spacers with 90 psi gives your fork 90 lbs Force to move the fork for less than 10% of travel.

would be interesting to see volume numbers. To see how much ‘plush’ travel you actually lose when adding spacers.

I only add spacers if it’s a must to reach the needed sag. And also it’s why the ohlinsfork is superior because you pressurize Each end.
I am 95 Kg in underpants. I think the fork is running at 50psi at the moment. not sure of the volume of the spacers, but they are 3 x standard rockshox tokens.
The Zebb on the E160S is the basic model with few adjustments, but is still the best fork I have owned. Not saying there aren't better ones out there, but I didn't want to fork out the extra for the Fox 38 on the RS and I have no regrets.

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
If I may make a suggestion. Come mid summer if you’ve been riding a lot try re test riding with less if you can. I currently run 0 spacers on my fox fork at a body weight of about 98kg. There is a trade off with everything but for a fork I’m happy to use
All of the travel often and just add more pressure if I know I’ll be smashing the bike and less when I’m just riding. My ohlins is different but it’s running like 5% sag just so I can have as a more linear feel and little ramp up at the last bit.

I’m totally interested in trying the new vorspring secus I bet it would make the fork feel like my ohlins.
i'm always interested in trying things out. It's also true that it is easier to play with pressure than it is with tokens.
The fork came with 2 tokens. My issue was that it felt and bit rough on small bumps and then tended to dive a bit too much under hard braking on the steep descents.
What I felt I achieved with the extra token and lower pressure was more absorption of small bumps and more support as it sank into the travel under braking.
Not much science in my analysis of the outcome, but I do 'feel' I achieved that to a certain extent.

Bobj183

Feb 12, 2021
Essex
My 2018 Trek with the gen2 Bosch motor had a little drag over 25kph but it was minimal. The 2021 Trek I have has virtually no drag, in fact reduced drag is one of the main features of the gen4 motor. I guess if Bosch are saying they've reduced the drag there must have been some in the first place. Having said that; on a 22kg bike with big fat tyres it's going to feel like drag when you suddenly lose up to 250 watts.

Craig64

Feb 12, 2021
Derbyshire
I had both problems, upped the pressure in the front forks (fox 38) then added some compression damping plus 1 click of rebound, rear shock fox again added air plus compression, left the rebound stock, I’m 13 stone ish.

the drag on the motor around 16-17 miles an hour I thought was a problem, booked my bike in last Saturday for its first service, ive done 18 miles around cannock chase this afternoon no issues, ran past 26 mph no problem, paid a bit more attention went from 14 mph to 18 mph no noticeable drag just went smooth straight through,

bosch don’t tell the dealers what the update is for, but I’ve got a little bit mileage out of the battery and as I’ve said it’s a lot smoother.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles