Hi from New Zealand

Julio

Dec 21, 2018
New Zealand
One of my riding mates has bought a turbo levo and now I struggle to keep up with him and he is also conquering some quite technical climbs.

I have ridden his bike a few times and i really like the smooth engagement of the motor and the easy roll over of the 29” wheels, but I don’t like the forks.

I have been doing a lot of research and checking out my local bike shops. I can’t find another model that is a 29er for a reasonable price. (I ride a 29er analog bike currently).

I test rode a Merida e160 800 and liked it a lot. I also want to try a giant trance e+. We can only get the 3 and the 1 models here. They look great value, but the 3 is only 10 speed. My riding friend says he uses the lowest gear in his 11 speed NX a fair bit when riding with the rest of us who are not riding eBikes, so a 10 speed may not be low enough for me. Both the e160 and the Trance E+ seem a little more focused on the downhill rather than the climbs.

I might also look at a Focus Jam2, as they have a 29er option.

Advice and opinions gladly welcome.

Fast Freddy

Dec 21, 2018
Wellington NZ
Brought a Merida E160 800 27.5+ couple of weeks back, great bike. My wife has 2018 evo she loves it. The 2019 evos are longer than the 2018. The Merida is really good value especially if you can get one at the Wellington e bikes special price $6749.00 NZ. Bike Barn will match.

craig landau

Dec 19, 2018
brisbane australia
ive been riding downhill for many years , just bought my first enduro (ebike ) yesterday have to say it feels good ,
900 ss.jpeg

Julio

Dec 21, 2018
New Zealand
I can get a Trance E+1 for $6570. Comes with Fox36, GX and 4 pot brakes. So better spec than the e160 800 at $6749. That’s why I want to test ride the Trance - especially longer chainstay and Yamaha motor. I did like the feel of the e160 and they get great reviews. Research also suggests that the Shimano motor is slightly smoother engage / disengage than Yamaha and less drag with assist turned off.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
If it's only the forks you don't like, that's easy fixed. The jam is a nice bike, depends if the range is an issue for you. Can't go wrong with the jam or levo if you like big wheels (like me).

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
Welcome Julio, try and get a test ride of as many as you can, I have the Trance E+1 and love it, happy with the spec, I'm changing the seat and bars but that is more for comfort than anything else. Climbs like a mofo too!
The Merida has a nice balance to it and smooth/natural feel motor.

Julio

Dec 21, 2018
New Zealand
I rode the Giant Trance E+1... and I hated it. Couldn’t get on with the Yamaha motor. Wanted to love it for the awesome spec, but no... shop also stocked Trek Powerfly. Test rode a Powerfly FS 7 and really likeed the Bosch eMTB mode! Brakes were only Shimano Deore, so asked for the cost to upgrade to 4 pot. Went home to think about it and discovered that the Powerfly LT 7 comes with a 160mm Yari and Shimano ST520 4 pot brakes for the same price as the FS7 plus brake upgrade.... back I go to test ride. I know the Trek has a long wheelbase, but I am a wheels on the ground guy, so might suit me well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles