Levo Gen 3 Hi all newbie hello :-) 2022 Turbo Levo Carbon Comp spec question, any advice appreciated

Pablo!!

Oct 23, 2021
UK
As per the title, hello and I'm finally ready to venture into the EMTB world and purchase my 1st E-bike.

I like the look of the recently announced 2022 Turbo Levo Carbon Comp and is currently in-stock.

I would appreciate any seasoned opinions from riders or Levo owners about the Spec and any bits that stand out as weak points / needing to be upgraded immediately or reasons to look at the Expert or Pro?

Thanks in advance,

P.

FrameFACT 11m full carbon, 29" front wheel, 27.5" rear wheel, full internal cable routing, 148mm spacing, fully sealed cartridge bearings, 150mm of travel, geo adjust head tube, geo adjust horst pivot
Rear ShockS1: Fox Float DPS Performance, 3- position adjustment, 52.5x210mm, Rx Trail Tune, S2-S6: FOX FLOAT X Performance, LSR, 2-position lever, 55x210mm
ForkFOX FLOAT 36 RHYTHM 29, GRIP damper, 44mm offset, 2-position sweep adjust, 15x110mm, 1.5" tapered steerer, 160mm travel
StemAlloy Trail Stem, 35mm bar bore
TapeSpecialized Trail Grips
HandlebarsSpecialized, 6061 alloy, 6-degree upsweep, 8-degree backsweep, 30mm rise, 780mm width
SaddleBridge Comp, Hollow Cr-mo rails, 155/143mm
Front BrakeSRAM Code RS, 4-piston caliper, hydraulic disc, S1-S3: 200mm, S4-S6: 220mm
Rear BrakeSRAM Code RS, 4-piston caliper, hydraulic disc, 200mm
Rear DerailleurSRAM GX Eagle, 12-speed
Shift LeversSRAM GX Eagle, 12-speed
CassetteSRAM XG-1275, 12-speed, 10-52t
ChainSRAM NX Eagle, 12-speed
CranksetPraxis forged M30, custom offset, 160mm
ChainringsSRAM X-Sync Eagle, 104 BCD, 32T, steel
Front HubAlloy, sealed cartridge bearings, 15x110mm thru-axle, 28h
RimsSpecialized 29, hookless alloy, 30mm inner width, tubeless ready
Rear HubAlloy, sealed cartridge bearings, 148mmx12mm thru-axle, 28h
SpokesDT Swiss Industry
Front TireButcher, GRID TRAIL casing, GRIPTON® T9 compound, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.6"
Inner TubesStandard, Presta Valve
Rear TireEliminator, GRID TRAIL casing, GRIPTON® T7 compound, 2Bliss Ready, 27.5x2.6"
SeatPostX-Fusion Manic, infinite adjustable, two-bolt head, bottom mount cable routing, remote SLR LE lever, 34.9, S1: 100mm, S2: 125mm, S3: 150mm, S4/S5: 175mm, S6: 190mm
Seat BinderAlloy, 38.6mm

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
theres always a reason to buy the next model up, better forks and shock etc etc.. if you can afford it, I think its worth going expert, it has the X2 and 38 as well as shimano drive etc..
I have a 2020 levo comp and a 19 before that, if I could upgrade right now to the expert, I would..

Pablo!!

Oct 23, 2021
UK
theres always a reason to buy the next model up, better forks and shock etc etc.. if you can afford it, I think its worth going expert, it has the X2 and 38 as well as shimano drive etc..
I have a 2020 levo comp and a 19 before that, if I could upgrade right now to the expert, I would..

Thanks for replying will have a look at availability of the Expert.

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
As per the title, hello and I'm finally ready to venture into the EMTB world and purchase my 1st E-bike.

I like the look of the recently announced 2022 Turbo Levo Carbon Comp and is currently in-stock.

I would appreciate any seasoned opinions from riders or Levo owners about the Spec and any bits that stand out as weak points / needing to be upgraded immediately or reasons to look at the Expert or Pro?

Thanks in advance,

P.

FrameFACT 11m full carbon, 29" front wheel, 27.5" rear wheel, full internal cable routing, 148mm spacing, fully sealed cartridge bearings, 150mm of travel, geo adjust head tube, geo adjust horst pivot
Rear ShockS1: Fox Float DPS Performance, 3- position adjustment, 52.5x210mm, Rx Trail Tune, S2-S6: FOX FLOAT X Performance, LSR, 2-position lever, 55x210mm
ForkFOX FLOAT 36 RHYTHM 29, GRIP damper, 44mm offset, 2-position sweep adjust, 15x110mm, 1.5" tapered steerer, 160mm travel
HandlebarsSpecialized, 6061 alloy, 6-degree upsweep, 8-degree backsweep, 30mm rise, 780mm width
Front BrakeSRAM Code RS, 4-piston caliper, hydraulic disc, S1-S3: 200mm, S4-S6: 220mm
SpokesDT Swiss Industry
Front TireButcher, GRID TRAIL casing, GRIPTON® T9 compound, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.6"
Rear TireEliminator, GRID TRAIL casing, GRIPTON® T7 compound, 2Bliss Ready, 27.5x2.6"
SeatPostX-Fusion Manic, infinite adjustable, two-bolt head, bottom mount cable routing, remote SLR LE lever, 34.9, S1: 100mm, S2: 125mm, S3: 150mm, S4/S5: 175mm, S6: 190mm
Seat BinderAlloy, 38.6mm
It looks like a great place to start.....

Jimmy22

Dec 25, 2021
Calgary

Thanks in advance,

P.

SpokesDT Swiss Industry
Seat BinderAlloy, 38.6mm
Being an emtb newbie last season I went for a 2021 levo comp alloy...fun bike, lots of great things to say about it however, it's a bit slow in the tight sections, suspension is just ok, and the shimano slx shifting sucked. Just picked up a new '22 comp carbon, excited about the gen 3 geometry and the sram GX. I would have gone Expert for upgraded suspension and X01, however I'm in Canada and it's a $3k price jump. In the UK it's 1k GBP, so if you have the cash I don't think you will be disappointed

killjoyken

Mar 10, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Get an Expert if you can afford it and more importantly if you can find one. If not just get the Comp since you can actually buy it now. You can always upgrade the suspension later on. The brakes are the same and even though they list the Expert as having X01, you only get a GX cassette.

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
I've had the Expert since May and it's really good for where and how I ride. I think either would be great. It's worth the extra $2K for me to get the better suspension, which is very helpful for more enduro type riding. That said if I thought that I might want a different bike in a year or so, I'd go comp.

emtber

Oct 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
I'm a newbie too and the Gen 3 Expert was is my first ebike. Bought it only 2 months ago. To bring it home, I took the front wheel off and slid the bike in the back of my Golf Gti. It's all carpeted so I thought it was safe, but when I got home I found I had scratched the seat stay while sliding it in/out. Wish I used a blanket or clean cardboard and slide it out all together. That hurt, so be warned. Bike paint is far from durable. When I made the purchase, no other bike I wanted was available, so I was very lucky to find an Expert in a bike shop only 1 hr away. I'm sure you know how it is. Felt very lucky as the Gen 3 was my 1st choice anyway due to rave reviews and quiet motor, which was thankfully upgraded from the troublesome 2.1. I didn't want a bike motor rattling away while riding, and it's been great. Quiet, smooth and powerful. Since I am new to mtb, I probably would have saved 2K and gotten the Carbon Comp if it were available 2 months ago. Not only is it cheaper but I like the color better than maroon.

The main functional difference to the Expert is the fork, which is 38 rather than 36. 38 is stiffer for more control, but as a newbie I am not riding fast or highly technical terrain, or jumping or going off any big drops, not yet anyway, lol. And I probably don't have the sensitivity yet to feel the difference. Plus 36 forks have been used successfully for free riding and racing for quite a while, so I'm sure it's way more than enough for a newbie like myself. I'm sure I will be overbiked for a long time, and the Carbon Comp would have been more than enough too. Going up to the Pro will get you better brakes, carbon rims and handlebars, and better suspension. The Code RSC brakes may, or may not, stop faster than the RS, but I can easily lock my brakes and throw myself over the bars. Perhaps they work smoother or have features/adjustments I am not aware of, but RS is quite powerful. Carbon wheels perform better in some uses and carbon handlebars are a bit lighter and absorb shock better, but on an ebike a little more weight isn't felt much unless you are jumping or lifting the bike. I might like the carbon bars tho, and I do like the orange paint. The Pro also has some of the best forks and shocks made, but unless you are riding hard and very experienced, you likely won't notice the difference once you get your settings right. Since the bikes are so similar for a newbie, I think the most important thing is fit, which size to buy.

I am 5'8" / 160 lbs, and since I am right in the middle of the S3 range, that's what I got. The sales guy watched me ride an S2 and S3 on the street and thought the S3 looked right for me. The S2 was very easy maneuver, which I liked, but it also felt a bit small as the reach was less. The handlebars felt a bit close to my legs. Still, it was nicely responsive and I couldn't decide. With the support of sales, I chose the S3, as I was more concerned with stability and not crashing, than agility and jumping. Well, it wasn't long before I came to feel what the overall geo of the Levo and a slack head angle means for turning. For me, the Levo feels very smooth, balanced, stable and powerful. Also a little heavy when I make mistakes. In stock form, it turns well and smoothly, but not sharply. My cornering technique of leaning the bike has gotten better, but I still have to lean it a lot to make a sharp turn on a trail. Still learning to how to handle the thing. If I have to turn sharp, it's best to really slow down, keep my balance and turn the bars. I know my technique needs improving, but just the other day, I changed the adjustable headset to 1 deg steeper. Stock is 64.5, + 1 makes it 65.5. Happy to say that it make a noticeable difference. Easier to maneuver at the lower speeds I am currently riding. Anxious to ride more when the wind and rain let up. Nice to know that when my skills allow me to ride faster, I can stabilize the steering a lot, if needed.

Also, I felt a lot of pressure on my hands due to the longish reach. Padded gloves help a lot, but I was still leaning forward more than I wanted to. It was tiring on my hands and neck. I fixed that by sliding the seat forward on it's rails, lowering the dropper post a bit, adjusting the roll of the handle bars and location of all the cockpit parts, and raising the handlebars by moving 2 of the spacers below the bar stem. It's feeling pretty good now.

I've had 2 minor issues. The disc brakes squeal a lot. Cleaning with alcohol took care of it, but the noise always returns. May have to clean the pads too. The current cold weather in San Francisco could be making it worse also. During a recent ride it rained, so I rinsed the mud off and recharged. 2 days later I turned it on and the TCU read 'no battery'. I removed and replaced the charging plug a couple of times, still no battery. The 'upgraded' plug is supposed to keep water out and I didn't spray the area much, so I was concerned. Then I used a brush around the seals and plug to knock off any dirt, dried the area with a cloth, and it was ok again. I guess the new seals are not that dirt/water tight.

It's taken a lot of fiddling to make the bike comfortable for myself, but I'm getting there, and I'm liking the bike more and more. Adjusting the suspension is the most difficult. I read that the Fox recommended settings are on the stiff side, so since I wasn't using more than 1/2 of the fork travel, I recently went 10 lbs under recommended, to 30% SAG and it feels much smoother, less jarring on my hands and arms. It may cause brake dive tho, so I will be watching.

One last thing I've learned, ebikes are high maintenance. Takes some effort to keep them clean, lubed and running properly. Also, I've heard that parts will wear out and break occasionally as a matter of use, so again, maintenance. And the more expensive your parts are, the more they cost to replace. So a less expensive bike, with less expensive components, may weigh a tiny bit more but is not necessarily less durable and will be cheaper to repair. With a good motor, weight is not a big issue, but durability and dependability are. You can ride very, very far on an ebike, but you don't want a 50+ lb bike breaking when you're miles from home. If you have cash to burn, no problem. Nothing wrong with having the best, but every ebike needs good maintenance.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:

emtber

Oct 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
Being an emtb newbie last season I went for a 2021 levo comp alloy...fun bike, lots of great things to say about it however, it's a bit slow in the tight sections, suspension is just ok, and the shimano slx shifting sucked. Just picked up a new '22 comp carbon, excited about the gen 3 geometry and the sram GX. I would have gone Expert for upgraded suspension and X01, however I'm in Canada and it's a $3k price jump. In the UK it's 1k GBP, so if you have the cash I don't think you will be disappointed
I'm a newbie too. Does your new comp carbon turn any sharper? I got a Gen 3 Expert 2 months ago and found it a bit slow to turn also. Very stable but just ok to turn. I think that's the geo. 2 days ago I changed the stock headset collar to the +1 deg. collar. Turning is noticeably quicker. Also, I read that Fox suspension recommendations are a bit stiff and I was only using half of the travel, so I took some air out of the fork and lowered the SAG to 30%. The ride is much smoother, less jaring, but I'm watching for fork dive under braking. So far so good, but I'm new so I don't ride fast yet.

Pablo!!

Oct 23, 2021
UK
Thank you to all of you taking the time to respond with your views/recommendations (y)

It does feel like the PRO would tick all boxes apart from the fact it's out of stock here in the UK until Apr and I just don't love the colour., likewise with the black expert and I'm not a fan of the maroon.

Al Fong - Thanks for your detailed reply and agree with everything you mentioned about even with the Comp think i would be overbiked for a good while yet..

Think I'm heading towards this package;

2022 Gen 3 Carbon Comp
SRAM GX1 Eagle AXS upgrade kit
OneUp carbon bars/stem
DT Swiss EXC 1501 carbon wheels.

Pablo!!

Oct 23, 2021
UK
Or I be brave and order a Forestal Siryon. The bike looks amazing in the promo vids, great spec and I like the whole concept of the company.

Jimmy22

Dec 25, 2021
Calgary
I'm a newbie too. Does your new comp carbon turn any sharper? I got a Gen 3 Expert 2 months ago and found it a bit slow to turn also. Very stable but just ok to turn. I think that's the geo. 2 days ago I changed the stock headset collar to the +1 deg. collar. Turning is noticeably quicker. Also, I read that Fox suspension recommendations are a bit stiff and I was only using half of the travel, so I took some air out of the fork and lowered the SAG to 30%. The ride is much smoother, less jaring, but I'm watching for fork dive under braking. So far so good, but I'm new so I don't ride fast yet.
Thanks for the tips. It's ski season here and the mountains won't thaw for another 4 months so will try alt setups then - enjoy!

emtber

Oct 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
Thank you to all of you taking the time to respond with your views/recommendations (y)

It does feel like the PRO would tick all boxes apart from the fact it's out of stock here in the UK until Apr and I just don't love the colour., likewise with the black expert and I'm not a fan of the maroon.

Al Fong - Thanks for your detailed reply and agree with everything you mentioned about even with the Comp think i would be overbiked for a good while yet..

Think I'm heading towards this package;

2022 Gen 3 Carbon Comp
SRAM GX1 Eagle AXS upgrade kit
OneUp carbon bars/stem
DT Swiss EXC 1501 carbon wheels.
I think you'll be super stoked with those upgrades! I was thinking about the Oneup bars too and may also get carbon wheels someday. One thing I am ordering now are a set of Santa Cruz Reserve Fillmore valves. The presta valves have already caused problems with tubeless sealant and the Reserves look great. Ck em out. With your knowledge, maybe you're a newbie to emtb, but not mtb. If that is not true and you're just an enthusiastic newbie to offroad riding, as am I, then I strongly suggest you look into body armor. As with skiing, the terrain is unpredictable, so falling will happen no matter how good you are, but sliding on dirt with sticks and stones, and slamming into bushes, rocks and trees, is much worse than snow. 2 months ago, I started with just a helmet and quickly scraped my knees, elbows and shins. Now I've protected those areas plus my chest, back, shoulders, spine and hips, and have only suffered once when branches got over and behind my knee pads. Besides learning by experience, I've seen how easy it is to break bones on youtube, so I'm trying to avoid serious injuries. If you haven't already, I strongly encourage lots of body armor. And yes, that Forestal Siryon sounds amazing! I'll be looking for it too. One thing tho, that model is set up to bomb downhills and might be challenging on tight turns. I think they will have other lightweights to choose from that will be all mtn. -Happy trails!

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
I own the expert. I would have bought the Carbon comp if available at the time because I have changed everything except for the frame, cranks, and seat post.

dsd1036

Aug 28, 2019
Surrey
I just got the get 3 comp carbon in s4, im 5'9" it feels and handles great.
Upgraded:-
Hope 35mm Carbon Bars
Deity 35mm Copperhead Stem
Hope V4 brakes front and rear
Hope discs 220mm front 200mm rear
Hope Cranks 155mm
Hope F20 pedals
Rockshox Reverb AXS Dropper 34.9 170mm
Sram AXS Derailleur

Next on list, wheel set not sure but will probably be Hope Fortus 30's.

So once ive done all that it'll be to me pretty high spec and still cheaper than an S-Works, with only my suspension set up letting it down, but to me its fine, looks good and it works!

Christy

Feb 28, 2020
Edmonton, Canada
Interesting,
I’m in a similar boat, first ebike 21 levo comp alloy and now the 2022 levo comp alloy and I prefer the slx shifting also The sram brake levers feel sloppy and cheap compared to tighter tolerances with the shimano levers. I’m in Canada also. Float x is nice though and the new geometry👌

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
been going through the same exercise.
I have decided on the Comp Carbon and then upgrade the bits I want ...
Zeb fork (Personally I preferer Rock Shox over fox for forks as I have both a Fox36 perf on my 22 Expert and a Lyric Ultimate on my 21 Alloy comp)
GX Axs
Enve stem and bar.
This should bring me in range of the expert, but with the bits i feel work better for me.

and then later in then year the wheels.

KTMJack

Dec 9, 2021
Oakley Ca.
I just bought a 22 Levo Comp carbon So for I love this bike
First thing the Sram brake had to go Before i took it home I had the shop swap them for Magura MT 7 So much better
Then put the SQlab 30X 45 rise 12 deg back sweep bars on it

Dago

Dec 5, 2020
Michigan
Just got the same bike -the satin black-Very disappointed in the paint !! Are you experiencing scuffs all over the frame? Just maneuvering around in the bike has it scuffed after two rides. It may be the worst finish on any bike I’ve ever bought.

Jimmy22

Dec 25, 2021
Calgary
Just got the same bike -the satin black-Very disappointed in the paint !! Are you experiencing scuffs all over the frame? Just maneuvering around in the bike has it scuffed after two rides. It may be the worst finish on any bike I’ve ever bought.
I noticed the same thing, the matte black finish looks great but shows everything. I use invisaframe - pita to install but worth it.

RME_DH

Jun 17, 2021
BFE, NM
22 Comp Carbon S3. Gloss ride wrap w/custom matte black graphic. Have yet to ride; broken leg/ankle!! Broke it while it was being wrapped. :(
2EC997DD-CE70-458A-B65C-4EA4F6F16C3A.jpeg

29DEE0F8-BB06-4C41-BD96-9B8A056B29C4.jpeg

Dago

Dec 5, 2020
Michigan

Worst finish EVER. I inivisawrapped parts most likely to scuff, then did a custom paint job on top tube and a bit of the lower, with a cool fade. Now it is awesome and nothing else looks like it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles