Hi all, looking for first eMTB, have specific requirements though :)

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Hey all,

An enduro rider, done a few races, like to ride it all but do enjoy steep, fast and tight tech.
Ride all over the place but mainly Swiss Alps.

Will be posting looking for my ideal first eMTB but in case anyone reads this i'm looking for:
  • something with at least 160mm rear travel and ideally 170mm front (160-180mm)
  • fork must be 38mm, ideally Zeb Ultimate as that's what i have on my current enduro bike
  • removable battery as i'll be flying with the bike and will have another battery in my destination
  • battery should be >=700wh as i'm close to 100kg ride ready with shoes, helmet, backpack etc.
  • must be able to change stem/handlebars as a tall guy i like a high rise bar
  • 29" front wheel, rear i'm open to either 27.5/29"
  • ideally shimano brakes but worst case i can always change them out
One of my main reasons to get an eMTB is I have a 800hm climb (2650ft) to get to the top of the trails.
In an ideal world i'd love to be able to climb that twice before exhausting the battery but from what i understand that's not likely going to be possible, especially with my 100kg ride ready "lightness"

Any suggestions?

cheers all
Jase
p.s. if anyone's riding their eMTB on Madeira i'd love to hear from you!

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Santa Cruz Bullit or Pole Voima?
So I looked at the Pole Voima very very carefully as looks like a good option, however main issue is i want to ride tight tech trails too and it seems to be more a point and roll tractor type approach. That won't work on some trails I ride.

The Bullit / Heckler is something i'm looking into but boy oh boy i find it sooo hard to consider one given their spec vs price, it's outright terrible!

Looked at Orbea Wild FS but no removable battery else was going snap one up
Should've bought the Specialized Turbo Levo Expert at 25% off 1st December but missed out
Orbea Rise
Trek Rail
Scott Ransom eRide 910
Merida e160
and a list a mile long

I guess what I ultimately need to decide is either
a) get a light weight eBike with limited assist and enjoy the trails more - but accept i'll only get up 800hm once on the battery
or
b) get a heavy eBike with full power and hope (?) I can make it up 1600hm of climbing to get 2 rides down in the day

It was more to try and get a ride in without having to pay for a shuttle which means riding all day or without riding up 800hm on my nearly 16kg enduro bike - simply because it's steep and i'm badly asthmatic. Could do it but would take me forever and that's not the idea, i want to maybe get a ride in and then do other stuff the rest of the day

wondering just how niche my needs are?

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
I would say you're definitely in the full-fat camp, not the half-fat.
Big battery, big power.
yeah that's more or less the realisation i've come to...
but really trying to find something i can ride in the tight tech stuff without it feeling like a barge

am tempted, for the price too to be fair, to consider the Marin Alpine Trail E2 - for the price seems like excellent spec!

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Hi
Your climb should be doable
I ride a 625wh bosch battery and a regular ride is around 2000-2500 meters thats at 92kg kitted on a 190 fr 165 rear bike
As for the rest of your ideals there is plenty of bikes to choose from its just whats in stock these days.

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
Hi
Your climb should be doable
I ride a 625wh bosch battery and a regular ride is around 2000-2500 meters thats at 92kg kitted on a 190 fr 165 rear bike
As for the rest of your ideals there is plenty of bikes to choose from its just whats in stock these days.
oh wow now i'm interested!! which bike and in which mode are you riding? this sounds VERY promising as until now i figured it wasn't going to be possible...

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
oh wow now i'm interested!! which bike and in which mode are you riding? this sounds VERY promising as until now i figured it wasn't going to be possible...
No its possible of course fitness plays a big part but you sound like thats not too much of a problem
I have a Trek rail 7 with lots of mods hence the suspension tweaks generally climb on there tour+ mode which is the second level and a trek tweak of the bosch system.

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
No its possible of course fitness plays a big part but you sound like thats not too much of a problem
I have a Trek rail 7 with lots of mods hence the suspension tweaks generally climb on there tour+ mode which is the second level and a trek tweak of the bosch system.
Fitness wise i do suffer as badly asthmatic but i can climb 1000hm on my bio bike in a day, idea of the eBike is to enable me to do 1-2 loops of the trail in some hours (e.g. half day) rather than taking all day, then i'd probably just use a shuttle company and my regular enduro bike

what mods were required to help extend the range? lighter weight components? software update (legal?)? etc.
i've never ridden an eMTB uphill so assume that i could probably use a light support mode to help me do 2 laps, or turbo for when i want to do just one lap

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
pivot shuttle lt---i have heard they are pricey in europe. but 160/170. ,fox 38 factory, should do 1600 meters

the new orbea wild would be my pick but not available yet

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
pivot shuttle lt---i have heard they are pricey in europe. but 160/170. ,fox 38 factory, should do 1600 meters

the new orbea wild would be my pick but not available yet
unfortunately the new Wild doesn't have a removable battery from what i've read so it's a non-starter despite me very much lusting after one

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Mondraker level R or one from that range sounds like it should tick all your boxes.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Fitness wise i do suffer as badly asthmatic but i can climb 1000hm on my bio bike in a day, idea of the eBike is to enable me to do 1-2 loops of the trail in some hours (e.g. half day) rather than taking all day, then i'd probably just use a shuttle company and my regular enduro bike

what mods were required to help extend the range? lighter weight components? software update (legal?)? etc.
i've never ridden an eMTB uphill so assume that i could probably use a light support mode to help me do 2 laps, or turbo for when i want to do just one lap
The bike is standard electrical wise no mods in that department at all
Components also are not light weight
Coil rear, Dual crown front and saint brakes with 220 rotors all round , i wasnt going for lightweight at all
I also run 50mm riser bars and full AXS (y)

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
I don't think it's been mentioned, so I'll stick a note in for a Giant Reign E+. 1 has the 625wh, if you get the 0 it has the 750wh.

Fox 38 not Zeb, but I think the rest of the criteria are met.

It's a very capable bike.

jxrx

Dec 12, 2022
Zürich
I don't think it's been mentioned, so I'll stick a note in for a Giant Reign E+. 1 has the 625wh, if you get the 0 it has the 750wh.

Fox 38 not Zeb, but I think the rest of the criteria are met.

It's a very capable bike.
i've got 2 Reigns downstairs, so guess i should look into the e version too - cheers

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
How much does the shuttle cost?
i can climb 1000hm on my bio bike in a day
If you can do that, 2 laps on a Keno SL should be possible and then you're looking at something vaguely nimble rather than a long travel steamroller.

IMG_5250.jpeg

That's a gnats under 1000Hm on 67% of battery (RE fitted) and there's no way in hell I'd manage that on a mandraulic bike so you should have no problem.
IMG_4495.jpeg

If you insist on a FF, get the cheapest carbon Rail or Levo and build it to the spec you want.

colstroid

Nov 23, 2022
South Wales
I would say a scott ransom eride but im biased! 😆
20221213_121952.jpg

It's 180 front and rear, 38 performance elite up front, removable 625wh battery and the build spec on the 910 is the best I could find for the price.
The yt decoy came close but you cant fit a decent size water bottle in the frame.
Let us know what you go for!

Mysta

Nov 25, 2022
SC
So I looked at the Pole Voima very very carefully as looks like a good option, however main issue is i want to ride tight tech trails too and it seems to be more a point and roll tractor type approach. That won't work on some trails I ride.

The Bullit / Heckler is something i'm looking into but boy oh boy i find it sooo hard to consider one given their spec vs price, it's outright terrible!

Looked at Orbea Wild FS but no removable battery else was going snap one up
Should've bought the Specialized Turbo Levo Expert at 25% off 1st December but missed out
Orbea Rise
Trek Rail
Scott Ransom eRide 910
Merida e160
and a list a mile long

I guess what I ultimately need to decide is either
a) get a light weight eBike with limited assist and enjoy the trails more - but accept i'll only get up 800hm once on the battery
or
b) get a heavy eBike with full power and hope (?) I can make it up 1600hm of climbing to get 2 rides down in the day

It was more to try and get a ride in without having to pay for a shuttle which means riding all day or without riding up 800hm on my nearly 16kg enduro bike - simply because it's steep and i'm badly asthmatic. Could do it but would take me forever and that's not the idea, i want to maybe get a ride in and then do other stuff the rest of the day

wondering just how niche my needs are?
People say if you downsize one on the Voima it handles technical stuff like a champ.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
A spare battery at the bottom to swap out for the second lap is probably a good idea, and it opens up your options to almost any bigger travel bike.

If you want pointy handling you want something with a low polar moment of inertia.

I'd be looking at something like a GLP-2, maybe a previous generation Trek Rail with a 625 for the shorter bike with a lighter front end.

Bosch motor is almost a no brainer, either that or Polini (but the choice of bikes is limited).
Shimano EP8 will fail. So will Brose.
E8000 were reliable but not so punchy.

I wouldn't rule out sub 38 forks because some 36s, such as the EXT ERA V2 are actually more robust that other makes 38s. The suspension action is also FAR superior to Zebs or Grip-2 as well. (I've got all three forks across various bikes. If the EXTs were more affordable I'd have them on all my bikes)

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
Hey all,

An enduro rider, done a few races, like to ride it all but do enjoy steep, fast and tight tech.
Ride all over the place but mainly Swiss Alps.

Will be posting looking for my ideal first eMTB but in case anyone reads this i'm looking for:
  • something with at least 160mm rear travel and ideally 170mm front (160-180mm)
  • fork must be 38mm, ideally Zeb Ultimate as that's what i have on my current enduro bike
  • removable battery as i'll be flying with the bike and will have another battery in my destination
  • battery should be >=700wh as i'm close to 100kg ride ready with shoes, helmet, backpack etc.
  • must be able to change stem/handlebars as a tall guy i like a high rise bar
  • 29" front wheel, rear i'm open to either 27.5/29"
  • ideally shimano brakes but worst case i can always change them out
One of my main reasons to get an eMTB is I have a 800hm climb (2650ft) to get to the top of the trails.
In an ideal world i'd love to be able to climb that twice before exhausting the battery but from what i understand that's not likely going to be possible, especially with my 100kg ride ready "lightness"

Any suggestions?

cheers all
Jase
p.s. if anyone's riding their eMTB on Madeira i'd love to hear from you!
I ride SC Bullit here in Santa Cruz mountains: lot of tight, steep trailbs and I find for the travel, full size removable battery, MX wheel set-up and my XL size it’s one of lightest, best handling full size e-bikes. I’m running Fox 38 Factory fork up front. I have RS Deluxe Ultimate air rear and also Cane Creek DB Kutsima Coil to run in the real rocky trails we have in some areas.

Rob57

Sep 12, 2022
Bellingham,WA
yeah that's more or less the realisation i've come to...
but really trying to find something i can ride in the tight tech stuff without it feeling like a barge

am tempted, for the price too to be fair, to consider the Marin Alpine Trail E2 - for the price seems like excellent spec!
The Marin E2 is an excellent choice, have one and for what you get it's hard to beat. Plus it made me feel like I was 5 again on my first bike!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles