Hey everyone!

dm022

Sep 6, 2019
Vancouver
Hey everyone,

Nice to meet everyone. I'm brand new to the ebike scene but super keen.

A couple of weeks ago, I borrowed my mom's commuter ebike and had so much fun! I've always wanted to get into mountain biking but my fitness just hasn't been quite good enough to truly enjoy it. Then I managed to mangle my shoulder and just never tried again. Riding my mom's bike got me all excited again, and I've since done a few rides with rented eMTBs on some easy single tracks and I love it!

I'm ready to get my own and I'm kind of keen to take advantage of the late season sales. I've read a lot about the Levo and it sounds amazing but I'm wondering if it's overkill for someone with fairly limited skill? Would a cheaper Haibike be a better first choice? Or something else completely for someone keen to ride the trails but with limited experience. Any thoughts?

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Welcome along..

Go for what you see as the best, in terms of fit and cost. Your skills and range, will improve, the more that you ride, for sure. Upgrading is a neccessary part of evolution..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm ready to get my own and I'm kind of keen to take advantage of the late season sales. I've read a lot about the Levo and it sounds amazing but I'm wondering if it's overkill for someone with fairly limited skill? Would a cheaper Haibike be a better first choice? Or something else completely for someone keen to ride the trails but with limited experience. Any thoughts?

It's going to be different for everyone depending on how you improve, where you ride, how often you ride, what your goals are - if your goals change .. How much you want to spend ... How much you end up spending (more than you wanted too......)

For me, I bought a cheap hub motored decathlon one to start with at the start of the year.. which wasn't very reliable and was more a fireroad trundler. So changed to a shimano E8000 mid motored hardtail - which was just light years ahead in every way. I thought I'd have this for years. I've continued to push where and how I ride and the hardtail felt like it was at it's limits in terms of what it would do safety - for me anyway (I fell off a lot). So a few weeks ago I'd decided to go for an FS bike (thok), but they were on holiday so started looking about and saw a Kenevo expert on a really good offer :

Specialized Turbo Kenevo Expert bicycle 2019 LordGun online bike store

So went for that. Was slightly worried it would be "too much bike" .. but it's just incredible - too much bike doesn't exist. I wish I'd gone that way at the start, but then at the same time, I learnt a lot having to ride the less capable bikes and it's made me appreciate the Kenevo even more.

If you can, try a few different ones all the better. Ultimately, whatever you go for will be great and you'll love it, so make sure you buy one you actually like the look of, has good support and you like the feel of it you can try some out. With the Kenevo, my first and only experience of an FS was riding a YT Capra a week before I bought it, so maybe in a way, with a lack of experience, I didn't have too many hangups on what I would and wouldn't like.

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Welcome @dm022 - I guess with buying your first EMTB (or even your first MTB) considering as @Zimmerframe mentions go for one which you like the look of, and remember that if you really get the hang of it and like it a lot, no matter which bike you start with, you will eventually end up upgrading, so keep that in mind.
What is paramount is to get to a skill clinic and learn the proper technique for tackling the trails, as you will eventually want to challenge your skills on more technical trails.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
I'm in a similar boat to you so to speak. I wanted a Levo and posted on here then got offered a test ride on a Giant Trance E+2 by a guy local to me. Its similar in specification and less money plus has great local dealer support if needed.

Within 30 seconds I decided it would really be a great bike for me to own, then I got a great deal on this years outgoing model. I now go out for 20+ miles on trails every Sunday plus the odd commute to work 12 miles each way. I have found places on my doorstep I never knew existed and can't wait to get out on a Sunday and explore new trails.

Whatever you decide, I would say a full suspension bike is worth the extra over a hardtail, you are unlikely to outgrow one.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
It's going to be different for everyone depending on how you improve, where you ride, how often you ride, what your goals are - if your goals change .. How much you want to spend ... How much you end up spending (more than you wanted too......)

For me, I bought a cheap hub motored decathlon one to start with at the start of the year.. which wasn't very reliable and was more a fireroad trundler. So changed to a shimano E8000 mid motored hardtail - which was just light years ahead in every way. I thought I'd have this for years. I've continued to push where and how I ride and the hardtail felt like it was at it's limits in terms of what it would do safety - for me anyway (I fell off a lot). So a few weeks ago I'd decided to go for an FS bike (thok), but they were on holiday so started looking about and saw a Kenevo expert on a really good offer :

Specialized Turbo Kenevo Expert bicycle 2019 LordGun online bike store

So went for that. Was slightly worried it would be "too much bike" .. but it's just incredible - too much bike doesn't exist. I wish I'd gone that way at the start, but then at the same time, I learnt a lot having to ride the less capable bikes and it's made me appreciate the Kenevo even more.

If you can, try a few different ones all the better. Ultimately, whatever you go for will be great and you'll love it, so make sure you buy one you actually like the look of, has good support and you like the feel of it you can try some out. With the Kenevo, my first and only experience of an FS was riding a YT Capra a week before I bought it, so maybe in a way, with a lack of experience, I didn't have too many hangups on what I would and wouldn't like.

I think I’ll probably follow a similar pattern. A kind of evolution from analogue MTB to hardtail and then eventually to full suspension. As you say, there comes a point when you do grow out of a particular technology and want move up a level but I think you appreciate things more if it’s a gradual process rather than jumping straight in with a cutting edge full suspension super bike.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
I think you appreciate things more if it’s a gradual process rather than jumping straight in with a cutting edge full suspension super bike.

Nah, go FS from the off.. it'll probably be cheaper in the long run. Finding the limits of what you don't have, sooner rather than later, could be somewhat frustrating. If you find your 'superbike' go purchase it. Then you'll be better placed, to explore both your limits and the bikes, without a compromise..You can learn together..?
(I'm guessing mom's commuter is a hardtail..)
You've tried/hired a few already. You like the look of the levo, however only you can/have to, justify what you buy...

Is there such a thing as having too much bike? ? Ambition over talent, I'll grant you though..

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
Agree wholeheartedly.

If you buy hardtail you are missing out on the benefits that full suspension brings, and despite the lesser initial price it will cost you a lot more in the future to upgrade.

My emtb is my first full suspension bike and I will never buy a hardtail again, its been a total game changer.

RipTide

Sep 2, 2019
California
I just ordered a Turbo Levo base. As i look at the bikes i have had so far, Specialized has been the brand for me. Road bike, mountain bike, and now eMtb. I am looking forward to riding more, and having fun outside. The key for me has been to have fun on whatever bike I was on, but then I tried the eMtb... WOW! for me, it is like the fountain of youth. I felt 20 years younger. I tried to convince my doctor to write a prescription for an eMtb, didn't happen. But I am looking forward to a few weeks from now, when my new eMtb will be here.

dm022

Sep 6, 2019
Vancouver
Thanks everyone so much for your replies and thoughts! Appreciate it.

I was pretty set on getting a FS (and yes mom's commuter was a hardtail), but price-wise there's still quite a range. I do want to avoid to outgrow the bike quickly, so I think going for what I really want and then actually hitting the trails and learning is the way to go. I'm already signed up for a skills clinic later this month, but it may still be on a rented bike.

I'm going to see the Levo on Monday, but I won't be able to take it out for a ride except for a quick spin in the parking lot.

@118 , I agree! Talent is likely limited, but at least I won't be able to blame the bike for the lack of skills. ;)

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
The ride will feel much better if you have the (in your mind) right bike. Go after your gut feeling :cool:
Pro for the hardtail; it’s cheaper to buy and cheaper to maintain. Con for the hardtail; you will eventually buy a FS.
Pro for the FS; it’s more forgiving on technical trails and gives a more plush ride. And you will eventually want one :love: Con for the FS; it’s more expensive to buy and to maintain.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles