Help with sizing of a sam2

MrNice

Jun 25, 2021
Wales
Hi guys.

Yesterday I ordered an XL Sam2 6.9 2021 and think I may have ordered it in error because of the reach being 510mm.

I used to own the 2020 Nukeproof mega in an XL which had a reach of 515mm and I put a shorter stem on (35mm) and 35mm riser bars in a hope to shorten the reach and I was never happy with it.

I then got the 2021 mega factory in an XL and it had updated geometry with 500mm reach. I then put the 35mm stem on so brought that down to 485mm. It felt fine.

And this is where I think the sam2 6.9 in an XL is going to be too big for me.

I'm 6'2"
Arm length of 62cm
Inside leg of 90cm

So my question is... how are you guys finding the sizing of the bike at around 6ft in height.

Thanks

P.S...

Is there a way to put another stem on the bike without having to bleed the brakes and re route the cables etc

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Should be within the range to be honest at your height. Reach, stack and seat angle can all effect how you feel riding the bike.

I can’t remember without looking at the stem but I think they’ve designed it so it’s possible to change without a bleed ?

MrNice

Jun 25, 2021
Wales
Should be within the range to be honest at your height. Reach, stack and seat angle can all effect how you feel riding the bike.

I can’t remember without looking at the stem but I think they’ve designed it so it’s possible to change without a bleed ?

Thanks for the reply. When I've gone onto the Focus website it recommends a size Large for my height and they claim that the XL is for people starting from 191cm.

I'm hoping that I'll find it's ok for me. Do you think putting a 35mm stem on this bike will make its handling worse ?

Mart-e

Dec 13, 2020
Australia
Hey there! Just thought to drop in here also regarding frame size with the Focus Sam.... given l am at the other end from the XL to where l am kinda thinking - setting up with a small frame at 5.5. 170cm...

Anyone with ideas regarding a small - medium frame to height ratio would be much appreciated...
Thanks.

Last edited:

jene

May 12, 2021
Zaragoza
Hey guys could You share a picture of your drop post to check?? I'm 189/6.2 but I guess I'd have to get the drop post out a lot (on L size the seat tube distance is only 450)...

183cm tall and riding an XL and it's spot on for me.

Don't You feel it a bit large riding it in singles with sharp curves?

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
Don't You feel it a bit large riding it in singles with sharp curves?

It's a long travel 29er (or mullet) bike, tight singletrack is NOT what Focus designed it for.

This review, and the "monster truck" terminology is very apt...

But it doesn't feel too big for me in any kind of terrain I normally ride.

Last edited:

jene

May 12, 2021
Zaragoza
It's a long travel 29er (or mullet) bike, tight singletrack is NOT what Focus designed it for.

This review, and the "monster truck" terminology is very apt...

But it doesn't feel too big for me in any kind of terrain I normally ride.

Thanks dude! And do you have the dropper out from the frame?

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
Thanks dude! And do you have the dropper out from the frame?

Only 10mm or so.

SCTMwN.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles