Anyone with a Focus Sam2?

ShaneV34

Aug 13, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Thansk
I hade problems with pedal striking and trasht a cople of flatpedals and crankarms... Now it works good, no pedal striking.
Go with Schwalbe apex tyres as Magic Mary, Hans Dampf or new Eddy Current in 2.6. Schwalbe 2.6 same size as Maxxis 2.8 (71mm wide)
I have Maxxis 2.8 DHF and DHR. They are to thin in the sidewall and puncture= inserts...
Thanks Setter, i like the Maxxis so far for grip, they do feel a bit soft in the side wall tho when riding and i have them at 30psi! I used to ride only Schwalbe so the Maxxis is an experiment for me. Will work through the current tyres first and then go for 2.8”. Was also looking at the Vittoria air liner but the tubeless is holding at the moment for the type of XC/all mountain riding i do.

Setter

Jan 16, 2018
Sweden
interesting what you say about the Maxxis..had sidewall troubles and considering Vittoria inserts however might give the Schwalbe Apex a try.
Pedal strikes are a pain too.
How do you find handling with the TEC pack? some report CofG changes.
Any deals on TEC packs??

I think the bike gets too heavy with tec pack so I use it only when moving between trails. Picking it off the bike when I'm going to have fun. I keep it in my backpack while riding

ShaneV34

Aug 13, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
I think the bike gets too heavy with tec pack so I use it only when moving between trails. Picking it off the bike when I'm going to have fun. I keep it in my backpack while riding
I don’t jump a lot at the mo, most of the trails here are XC. Building up confidence. I didn’t notice the extra weight with the battery pack but I have only used it once and I used boost mode the whole time!! Had a spare tyre on the smart pack but the rubber broke over night!! Twice!!

ShaneV34

Aug 13, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
I hade problems with pedal striking and trasht a cople of flatpedals and crankarms... Now it works good, no pedal striking.
Go with Schwalbe apex tyres as Magic Mary, Hans Dampf or new Eddy Current in 2.6. Schwalbe 2.6 same size as Maxxis 2.8 (71mm wide)
I have Maxxis 2.8 DHF and DHR. They are to thin in the sidewall and puncture= inserts...
If u could would u go with shorter cranks or are u happy with the 165?

Setter

Jan 16, 2018
Sweden
I have the Focus Bold2 hardtail. I'm getting used to the hardtail after a full-sus analogue bike but am loving the extra capabilities of the e-bike. I'm riding further than ever and attempting climbs I would have walked on the old bike. I'm too old for jumping, though!

You never get too old, i'm 45...

IMG_20180930_145228_484.jpg

Setter

Jan 16, 2018
Sweden
If u could would u go with shorter cranks or are u happy with the 165?
Yes i happy with 165, i think it will be awkward with shorter cranks. I have 170 on my Dartmoor Primal HT.
It works so good with the set up i have now. 165 cranks, 2.8 tyres, a bit less sag and volume spacers in the shock and fork.
On the trail i have very little rebound damping too get the bike snappy, and when i'm in the bike park i haver more rebound damping too get the bike composed in the jumps.

ShaneV34

Aug 13, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Yes i happy with 165, i think it will be awkward with shorter cranks. I have 170 on my Dartmoor Primal HT.
It works so good with the set up i have now. 165 cranks, 2.8 tyres, a bit less sag and volume spacers in the shock and fork.
On the trail i have very little rebound damping too get the bike snappy, and when i'm in the bike park i haver more rebound damping too get the bike composed in the jumps.
Yeah I was thinking about spacers in the shock as I am going through the full travel and it’s pumped up to 250psi without doing any jumps!! Should only be around 190psi for my weight!! I don’t notice the rear suspension at all tho so I know it’s doing it’s job! I think the front is good for me and my riding at the mo tho. Don’t want to keep swapping cranks to see which is best so waiting to see what most other people are going with.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Pah, a mere pup! I'm 11 years older than you! :p (Damn, no grey-haired emojis!)
I feel a bit like Steve Jones on EMBN: 56 years old and 90kg. And nowhere near as fit. But thankfully not Welsh.

Mere boys !..I can give you 20 years ...not so much jumping these days BUT a hell of a lot of fun..:D.cant stop just off for a 20mile ride for lunch at the cycle cafe.

Keep Having Fun:giggle:

Tymon170

Jul 19, 2020
NZ
Hi ShaneV34 just to give my two pennies worth. I have concentrated on other factors as far as range goes e.g Tyre pressure's and type of tyre significant effects, riding weight ( Covid Kilo,s !!) body weight and what you are carrying with rider weight being the biggest factor, fitness plays the most important role combined with when you need to use Boost for climbs or sections that with a bit of bike fitness you can clean ok and finally locking out the rear shock when you don't need it i.e riding to the trails or fire roads back to base or next trail. At the end of the day its just power to weight ratio that will equate to your range and of course where and what you are riding. Quite often I will turn off the assist on the trails that I know well which comes back to riding weight/tyre pressures as these bikes carry speed (sometimes at the riders cost !!) So until you've got your rhyme sorted keep your dosh and explore your bike I am still surprised at just how capable these bikes are and that's after 2600Km Enjoy Regards

135EE8A3-825A-4EEE-BDAC-E36BCB89A7FD.jpeg

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Very true.
After 2800 miles over 2 1/2 years my battery will not charge over 4 bars .
Maybe getting on for 100 charge cycles This does not seem very good ....fortunately I have a TEC pack as do not fancy £800 of replacement .
Keep pedalling. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles