Focus Sam2 sizing

ChillyWilly

Feb 4, 2021
Netherlands
The Sam2 looks like an awesome fun ride and is on the top of my list. But I'm in doubt which size to order. I'm 188cm / 6'2" and according to Focus I should go for the size L. The XL is quite a bit bigger, but does seem to fit Rob perfectly. Rob is 191cm / 6'3" though.

I'm currently on a Trek Fuel EX 2018 21.5 (XL) and have ridden a Trek Rail 9.7 2021 size L for more than a month. The Fuel is perfect, the Rail was a little bit short.

Anyone with an L or XL 2021 Sam2 and would like to share your thoughts?

Last edited:

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
I have a xl rail. The large rail was way too small for me. I thought the xl would be big before I got it but it’s great.
I am 188cm.
do u ride downhill much? A longer bike will feelmore stable downhill and at speed. I feel much more centeredon a xl frame than a large. Feels like I’d be otb feeling on the large. If I were u I’d go xl focus ans put a 35mm stem on.
the focus stack height is really high so that will make the bike reach feel shorter than the numbers say. Just pay attention to seat tube length. 490 on the xl isn’t terribly high but something to be aware of if you’re used to lower.

ChillyWilly

Feb 4, 2021
Netherlands
Yeah, the L Rail was on the small side ?

Also, the actual seat angle of my Fuel EX is really slack, so the effective top tube length is quite long. I'm leaning towards the XL model.

ChillyWilly

Feb 4, 2021
Netherlands
It arrived yesterday and it's a perfect fit! With the bar still with max spacers and 800mm/30mm bar. Need to fine tune, but really happy with the sizing.

kingcoin

May 19, 2021
Italy
@ChillyWilly I'm 6.2 (188 cm) and I've just received a Focus SAM2 XL. I'm coming from a YT Capra XL and the SAM2 looks massive in comparison. I'm now thinking I should have gone with L and I'm thinking to return it. (no rides yet)
How is your experience with XL so far? Have you done some particular tuning?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@kingcoin Unless you were very lucky you probably had to wait ages to get that bike, and now you want to send it back without even riding it?

If this is your first emtb, then they do look big compared to the previous bike. The tyres are bigger, the tube sections are bigger, the motor area is bulky. The bloody thing weighs a ton! The guy at my LBS says that my large size Jam2 is "a beast" and he's taller than me!

At least ride it around the block. Don't confuse that different bike feeling with "the wrong size". Take the time to set up the bike to suit you first. Get your saddle height and fore/aft position sorted. Get the brake and shifter levers at the right angle and spacing. Move the dropper remote lever to be in the best position for you. Alter your stem height if you have to. Set the sag, get the damping as close as you can. Sort out the tyre pressures. Only then take it for a ride around the block to see if it works for you.

If you send it back, be aware that it may be months before you get another one!

ChillyWilly

Feb 4, 2021
Netherlands
@ChillyWilly I'm 6.2 (188 cm) and I've just received a Focus SAM2 XL. I'm coming from a YT Capra XL and the SAM2 looks massive in comparison. I'm now thinking I should have gone with L and I'm thinking to return it. (no rides yet)
How is your experience with XL so far? Have you done some particular tuning?

Don't send it back!

Been riding it for a few months and it's not too big. I went mullet which shortens the reach to 500mm. Also running a 800mm bar. For me it's perfect and could even be longer and would still be fine.

And as Steve mentioned, get used to the future Ike first and set it op. You can slide the seat forward to get an even better paddle position as a bonus.

The Capra is much smaller and has a way slacker seat angle. I promise that you'll love the bike after a few rides. And go mullet ?

kingcoin

May 19, 2021
Italy
Thanks both for the prompt reply.
You are right @steve_sordy I’ve bought it online without having the opportunity to test it and waited almost a month. And yes It’s my first emtb. (owned)

However given the investment I prefer to keep a bike that I feel comfortable riding with even if I have to wait for another few months.

Said that I have carefully tuned it (everything you said) and done a 20 min ride around the block to properly bed in the brakes. This is why I do not consider this a proper ride :)

Given also the great feedback of @ChillyWilly I’ll give the bike a go and ride local trails in then weekend.
The mullet is definitely an option I will consider. Which rim have you mounted?

Thanks both and I’ll keep you posted.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles