Focus Sam2 mullet

Feb 12, 2021
Derby
Hi

Should you mullet the focus Sam 2 6.9 do you need to change a setting in the controller so the distance travelled is correct? If so how is this done, I see a USB connection but can I connect to phone or laptop.

Thanks

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
It will make you a fraction slower than your riding buddies, unless the bike shop can or will change the settings. (It's still debatable as to whether this is possible) Mine has been done twice but to no effect. You will need to shorten the chain and fit the other brake caliper mount if you are going to flip the chip and move the axle position. This shortens your wheelbase and can make your bike pretty lively. I love mine, it's a great allrounder in its Mullet form.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
My local bike shop changed mine and now the odometer is much more accurate and therefore the speed too. I left mine in the high position and it's made it a bit slacker whilst still making it a bit more lively too. Have been meaning to try it in the bottom position but haven't got around to it yet.

claypot

Jul 4, 2022
Australia
It will make you a fraction slower than your riding buddies, unless the bike shop can or will change the settings. (It's still debatable as to whether this is possible) Mine has been done twice but to no effect. You will need to shorten the chain and fit the other brake caliper mount if you are going to flip the chip and move the axle position. This shortens your wheelbase and can make your bike pretty lively. I love mine, it's a great allrounder in its Mullet form.
I've read elsewhere that 3 or 4 links come out of the chain if flipping the chip, does that sound rite?
I'm going to get another chain and shorten that one to suit.
Cheers.

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
It can only be two or four and I would do two first. This is only necessary if you move the axle and flip the chip. Remember to check and notice how slack your chain is, lowest gear, no weight on bike, with the old setup in place. This will stop you from being tempted to remove more links later. The procedure is, chain over the biggest sprockets, not through the derailleur, shock totally airless and bottomed out and then two extra links.

claypot

Jul 4, 2022
Australia
Hey mate, thanks for the info, awesome discription cheers. I did it yesterday after a fair bit of google and SRAM manuals. Exactly like you mentioned. Anyone doing this follow Sijmes info above. Yep soon worked out can only take 2 or 4 ECT links, which makes me think other FB page that said 3 links must of been taking the piss! 2 links was too slack so took another 2 (4 in total)
and all's good same tension as before flipping chip. Thanks again.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Let me know how you find it with the chip flipped as I've mulleted mine but left the axle in the high position and find it great, bit slacker and still long in the chainstay. Lose a bit of ground clearance but have come along way in the pedal strike stakes. Still would like to know if you find a startling difference. Have thought about it too but I'm from the "If it broke don't fix it" school of thought. And now that I have to shorten a chain will wait to hear your thoughts.

claypot

Jul 4, 2022
Australia
Let me know how you find it with the chip flipped as I've mulleted mine but left the axle in the high position and find it great, bit slacker and still long in the chainstay. Lose a bit of ground clearance but have come along way in the pedal strike stakes. Still would like to know if you find a startling difference. Have thought about it too but I'm from the "If it broke don't fix it" school of thought. And now that I have to shorten a chain will wait to hear your thoughts.
Hey husky
I'm not a gun on these bikes but my two mates I ride with are, turbo levos 29". I regularly ride outside of my comfort level with these guys. I like you enjoyed the improvement with the 27 and long chainstay chip not flipped, but didn't like the pedal strikes on my regular downhill trail. I could probably live with them however but considering going back and getting shorter cranks. I've only had a couple of rides with the chip flipped shorter chainstay, one pissing with rain, other wet. First trail was tight, steep, berms, rocks and mud. Normally I trail behind my mates but I was right on their ass this time. The next day I took it to my local tight downhill trail, sorry to say it gave me no special powers and I didn't really feel an improvement. When I bought the sam2 I trialled a jam2 at the same time. The jam chucked me off, I rode the Sam2 and felt like the bike would bail me out of the shit every time, just point and hang on. Moving to the fliped chip shorter chainstay on the Sam2 I'm starting to suspect I've lost that stability and confidence the Sam gave me over the Jam. Two rides is really too early to tell and I'll feedback more when I have more rides on it.

Last edited:

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Thanks for the feedback Claypot, and will await your follow up review before I go shortening my chain. Yeah I used to get loads of pedal strikes on my Merida and when down to 160mm cranks on that which helped. I think over time though, you just get better at pedaling in the right places and I very rarely strike now. Will wait for your reply though as I do miss the maneuverability of the Merida and think going back to the original head angle will help there even if it's a bit of a loss of straight line stability.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Hey husky
I'm not a gun on these bikes but my two mates I ride with are, turbo levos 29". I regularly ride outside of my comfort level with these guys. I like you enjoyed the improvement with the 27 and long chainstay chip not flipped, but didn't like the pedal strikes on my regular downhill trail. I could probably live with them however but considering going back and getting shorter cranks. I've only had a couple of rides with the chip flipped shorter chainstay, one pissing with rain, other wet. First trail was tight, steep, berms, rocks and mud. Normally I trail behind my mates but I was right on their ass this time. The next day I took it to my local tight downhill trail, sorry to say it gave me no special powers and I didn't really feel an improvement. When I bought the sam2 I trialled a jam2 at the same time. The jam chucked me off, I rode the Sam2 and felt like the bike would bail me out of the shit every time, just point and hang on. Moving to the fliped chip shorter chainstay on the Sam2 I'm starting to suspect I've lost that stability and confidence the Sam gave me over the Jam. Two rides is really too early to tell and I'll feedback more when I have more rides on it.
Have you had a chance to get back out on your steed again yet Claypot, still got mine mulleted without the chip flipped, it's the whole cutting the chain down to see if I like or not that is putting me off. Will still wait till I hear back from you

claypot

Jul 4, 2022
Australia
Have you had a chance to get back out on your steed again yet Claypot, still got mine mulleted without the chip flipped, it's the whole cutting the chain down to see if I like or not that is putting me off. Will still wait till I hear back from you
Hey Mate, yep clocked up heaps of rides now. Really happy with it. Just took me longer than others to adjust my weight placement to feel comfortable and get the benefits. I was also shagging round with my tire pressures which I guess didn't help. But I felt the front was washing out in the loose stuff due to getting through the corners quicker so dropped the pressure which helped heaps but ended up going to low which started rolling the tire and spitting me off - around 18 PSI, have settled on around 22 PSI on the front and all good. Running around 25 PSI in the rear with nukeproof insert which I like no issues. Of note my times down a 3 and a half minute downhill tight berm run decreased each change ( 27.5 wheel from 29 chip not flipped and flipped) I'd been struggling to get a better time for a while. 10 or so seconds quicker each change. A mate suggested I just bought another chain as a spare and shorten one to suit the change - good idea. $50 Aus new GX chain on now with my old NX available to go back to the 29 or as a spare.
I suggest the same get yourself a new chain shorten one and do it!

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Wow 10 secs over a 3 1/2 minute run is huge and I will now definitely give it a whirl and will try the tyre pressures as well. I generally run 28 in the back and around 26 in the front depending on how dry it is. The chain thing is a great idea as well, all in all, very encouraging and well worth some experimenting. Thanks very much for your reply and will post some results once I've gotten around to it, cheers Steve

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Finally bit the bullet and flipped the chip and took a couple of links out of the chain (new chain on the way) and my initial feelings are that it's more livelier and a bit more playful, more like my old Merida.
Which is what I would have expected with a shorter chainstay and loosing a degree out of the head angle. Loved it on my first ride out on it so will leave it alone for now and the only time I could see it being better the other way is if you were only doing long, steep downhills, like going down to the Snowy mountains (the Alps for you guys in Europe) for a weeks riding.

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Interested to see if you guys keep this set up I’m currently in mullet on original set up and toying with giving it a go

Andrew426

Sep 27, 2022
New Zealand
Hey guys Im sure this has already been mentioned and I've probably just speed read the thread and missed it - but did you guys flipping the chip have to change the brake caliper mount? I'm going to mullet my jam2 and I want to make sure I've got all the bits first.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles