Help! Sram eagle 12 clutch advise needed.

Patchinko

Aug 14, 2020
S.W hants
Hi, on a ride today the gears started playing up, the chain hopping on all but the largest cassette rings.
On examination it was apparent the derailleure (Sram eagle 12 NX) was unable to keep the chain tensioned. Further investigation arrived at the roller bearing clutch restricting the movement of the cage. The spring is ok.
There seems to be very little info online for the eagle 12 NX clutch system. Some earlier stuff but nothing relevant to the later NX.

Is this a serviceable thing or is my mech knackered? Any help much appreciated.

The bike has done a hard 1600 miles in all weather and riding conditions.

Zudnik

Jul 27, 2020
NNJ, USA
Hi, on a ride today the gears started playing up, the chain hopping on all but the largest cassette rings.
On examination it was apparent the derailleure (Sram eagle 12 NX) was unable to keep the chain tensioned. Further investigation arrived at the roller bearing clutch restricting the movement of the cage. The spring is ok.
There seems to be very little info online for the eagle 12 NX clutch system. Some earlier stuff but nothing relevant to the later NX.

Is this a serviceable thing or is my mech knackered? Any help much appreciated.

The bike has done a hard 1600 miles in all weather and riding conditions.
Sorry dunno but if you're in the US (easier for me to ship to), and want my NX you can have it. It's only got about 200 miles on it but just took it off to put on X01 axs. Yours free if you want.

Patchinko

Aug 14, 2020
S.W hants
Sorry dunno but if you're in the US (easier for me to ship to), and want my NX you can have it. It's only got about 200 miles on it but just took it off to put on X01 axs. Yours free if you want.
I'm in the UK, but I would gladly reimburse any postage expenses. It's a very kind offer and much appreciated.

Patchinko

Aug 14, 2020
S.W hants
Got the bike home today, as far as I can tell the clutch is not serviceable, looks like it's done for. :-(

schleprx7

Aug 7, 2020
SF Bay Area
Another option is to use a 12-Speed XT derailleur with the SRAM cassette, chain, and shifter. I've been running this combo for 2 months and it shifts eons better than the NX ever did.

Patchinko

Aug 14, 2020
S.W hants
Glad you got. Sorry for the delay.
No delay mate. I was surprised it arrived as quickly as it did. I had my first good ride out yesterday.
Every thing was silky smooth until I selected the 11 tooth 12th gear and the chain would hop occasionally.
I checked alignment and the final adjustment screws, which were all good. But in doing so I noticed I had put the chain joining link in back to front. Doh!

With that corrected all is like new.

Thanks again Zudnik. ?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Another option is to use a 12-Speed XT derailleur with the SRAM cassette, chain, and shifter. I've been running this combo for 2 months and it shifts eons better than the NX ever did.

This is interesting schleprx as I find Sram 12 speed derailleurs pretty fragile pieces of kit.
You make it sound like a straight swap-out, but can I ask, is your shifter of the one click variety?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles